This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#961899 by dmc
05 Jul 2023, 13:43
Is it possible to pre-book exit row seats as Gold?

For some reason I thought it was, but I'm booked into PE on a flight later this week and the seat map shows the whole cabin already full/allocated, and the exit row seats blocked off so I'm unable to select anything.

Screenshot 2023-07-05 at 13.38.57.png
Screenshot 2023-07-05 at 13.38.57.png (175.19 KiB) Viewed 29043 times
#961900 by mitchja
05 Jul 2023, 14:38
Those aren’t exit row seats, they are bulk-head rows which are different and not covered by the AU policy.

They may open up at T-24hrs but usually remain under airport control and can usually only be allocated once any pax requiring bassinets have checked-in. As AU you should get first dibs at them though.
#961901 by matt.hibb
05 Jul 2023, 14:46
mitchja is correct; all of row 21 in premium on the 787 is classed as bulkhead and have been designated as bassinet seats and therefore assigned under airport control inside 24 hours before departure.

You can book exit rows as gold. For e.g. if you were in economy on the 787 you would be able to choose 53ABC or 53HJK free of charge should they be available.

Another thing to note is that the assignment of bassinet seats generally happens before T-24. Having flown with an infant a few times, I've had it assigned anywhere inside about T-60. So keep an eye out on your booking.
#961902 by dmc
05 Jul 2023, 15:14
Thanks both - I have no idea why I had it in my head that they were exit row seats! :blush: Having flown Upper many times on the 787 I should remember I’m normally exiting on the other side of that bulkhead!

Makes sense now, I’ll keep an eye out for when they are released.
#961903 by CommanderB
05 Jul 2023, 16:34
I've never seen the PE bulkhead row as self selectable.

21D is my favourite seat on the 789 and every time I've been in it, it's because I've asked the Clubhouse staff to put me there :cool:
#961904 by mitchja
05 Jul 2023, 19:12
If you have no luck before reaching the airport, do ask at check-in and keep checking the seat map via the app as you can switch seats pretty much right upto departure.

I've only ever flown Premium once on the B789's which was 21H but it was ages ago and I can't remember how I ended up getting that seat sorry. I've flown the A333's many times in Premium and I have seen those bulk-head rows open up before reaching the airport. I've also asked at the gate right before boarding as well a few times and the staff were more than happy to move me.
#961905 by dmc
06 Jul 2023, 10:29
Just out of interest for anyone else looking at a full cabin - after checking regularly, the allocation for the bulkhead row did now open up (at T-27, before check-in opens), but no choice available, I was just allocated the worst one :-D

IMG_115A9FB780D0-1.jpeg
IMG_115A9FB780D0-1.jpeg (263.34 KiB) Viewed 28875 times

I can see one PE seat on this flight is still available to book as well, which is interesting with the whole cabin seemingly allocated already.
#961906 by matt.hibb
06 Jul 2023, 10:47
That's bad luck, especially as gold. As already mentioned, you could ask to be moved at the various touch points at airport.

1 seat being available to book could mean they're willing to oversell the flight in premium. Statistically they know that some people don't turn up. They also know they can up/downgrade people or bump them to a future flight should everyone turn up. The cost of doing any of these options is very likely less than the difference between the astronomical cost of a last minute W fare and the cheapest K they have already sold.
#961908 by Wenby
06 Jul 2023, 17:43
Worth a shot at check in.
My wife likes to be at the airport way too early so no chance everyone had checked in.
Asked for the bulkhead seats flying back from JFK, said it wasn't possible but they escalated and made a phone call.
Came back to us in less than a minute and gave us the seats.
We are only silver as well.
#961926 by dmc
09 Jul 2023, 01:48
Just a quick update; no luck at ticketing desk, check-in or clubhouse for me (I tried at all 3), flight was completely full in the end - first time one of my Austin flights has been sold out.

Unusually we ended up leaving from a bus gate out to a remote stand and boarding via stairs, it's been many years since I've had to do that at LHR!
Virgin Atlantic