This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#961998 by Claphambear
19 Jul 2023, 10:13
Do you mean the ones in Upper ? To be honest I find them fine. I like the REN products and use them on the flight and the eye shade is better than BA provide even in First. The ear plugs are awful but I carry my own. Not worried about what bag they are in as they are just discarded regardless. It may not be fancy but it fulfils what is needed for me - I would rather money be spent on stocking better Gin and Wines onboard to be honest (Please being back T10 !) but each to their own
#961999 by CommanderB
19 Jul 2023, 11:13
They've been fairly sucky since getting rid of the nice Herschel bags. Now it's the paper "sustainable" kits. The contents is fine and functional, but bring back the old bag!
#962000 by philsiu02
19 Jul 2023, 11:19
I never care about Amenity kits. I could happily live without ever having them, or them being given out on request. That said, I do think the Virgin ones are good because of their sustainability push and if you're going to hand out bags, I'd rather have what Virgin offer over other airlines I've flown with recently.
#962002 by Kraken
19 Jul 2023, 11:28
Amenity kits are an either "go all out, or go economy" for most airlines. You can provide "all out" amenity kits with everything inside, in a fancy bag and most passengers won't use most of it. Those who do take it away from the aircraft will probably just put it in a cupboard when back home - especially if they are a frequent flyer.

Virgin have probably got the balance about right - all I normally want to use is a toothbrush & toothpaste, possibly lip balm & moisturiser. The rest goes in the bin. The [admittedly 5p] pen was useful back in the days you had to complete the US landing card / customs form.

It's the presentation that matters - the current bag they use in Upper, whilst trying to send a "green" message as it's made from recyclables, just looks crap. The Herschel bag came in two sizes, a rectangular & square size. The smaller rectangular size is a perfect carry case for an iPad Mini - exactly what I use one of mine for. (Mini already in Apple leather case, but Herschel gives that bit of extra protection & makes it un-obvious it's an iPad).
#962003 by mitchja
19 Jul 2023, 11:57
Airline amenity kits are funny things - nobody really cares for them but they still take them home anyway (I'm as guilty for this as the next person) but when they are not there everyone feels hard done by :blush: ;-)
#962004 by CommanderB
19 Jul 2023, 12:02
mitchja wrote:Airline amenity kits are funny things - nobody really cares for them but they still take them home anyway (I'm as guilty for this as the next person) but when they are not there everyone feels hard done by :blush: ;-)

It's a classic, there is no one size that fits all :-D
#962015 by AlsirAl
21 Jul 2023, 07:29
Personally I think Singaporeair have nailed it with amenities on request / stocked in the wc.
Everything you need and much less waste. And slippers!! I do love slippers on a plane
#962076 by EstelleB
02 Aug 2023, 11:58
Having just returned from Jamaica UC I would agree with these comments. The contents are fine but the bags are awful. They are also not actually better for the environment as I suspect that most people will throw them away whereas they would (we do) reuse the old Herschel ones!
#962082 by cheesebag
03 Aug 2023, 08:54
I rarely open them these days, I have a collection in a drawer :-D Although I did actually use the one from BA first earlier this year, the Elemis products were very good
#962102 by mattyp
04 Aug 2023, 23:50
The old Upper Herschel ones were great. I’ve got a couple which must be 5 years old that I use regularly for toiletries on weekends away. They’re harder wearing than a lot of other wash bags I’ve owned… Great quality.
Virgin Atlantic