This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#962118 by NYC123
07 Aug 2023, 11:00
On live chat at the moment attempting to move from VS27 to VS7 (LHR-LAX) (in UC)and the person I'm talking to is trying to tell me there is a change fee (which i understand) but also trying to tell me there is an additional 35000 miles/points required?

Anyone heard this before?
#962119 by NYC123
07 Aug 2023, 11:15
"Just to make you aware, all our fares are based on availability. The busier a flight becomes, the higher the fares become. It's a bit like a stepladder, with the most discounted tickets at the bottom, and most expensive tickets at the top. When we've sold all the most discounted seats, the price goes up a level. Once we've sold all those tickets, the price goes up another level, and so on....."

Not sure how they can think that applies to reward flights..
#962120 by mitchja
07 Aug 2023, 11:25
Have you tried phoning back and speaking to someone else?

One thing that has changed recently is YQ (Carrier imposed international surcharge AKA the airlines made up stealth charge they keep increasing for no real reason other than because they can) as that has increased by £200 to £900 now for Upper Class so that *may* have something to do with this possible?
#962123 by CommanderB
07 Aug 2023, 13:19
Points required for reward flights have gone up recently.

Assuming you mean VS27 (MCO) changing to VS7 (LAX), additional points would be significant given it’s a route change.

If you meant VS23 (LAX) then points should be the same as the other two LAX flights. If there’s a date change, that will affect total points as well.

I’d ring up…
#962124 by NYC123
07 Aug 2023, 14:47
CommanderB wrote:Points required for reward flights have gone up recently.

Assuming you mean VS27 (MCO) changing to VS7 (LAX), additional points would be significant given it’s a route change.

If you meant VS23 (LAX) then points should be the same as the other two LAX flights. If there’s a date change, that will affect total points as well.

I’d ring up…

Yep sorry should have said switching from VS23 to VS7 - no points/miles required in the end.
#962125 by CommanderB
07 Aug 2023, 14:57
NYC123 wrote:
CommanderB wrote:Points required for reward flights have gone up recently.

I’d ring up…

Yep sorry should have said switching from VS23 to VS7 - no points/miles required in the end.

Glad you got it sorted!

When dealing with new or offshore staff, sometimes you just have to stand your ground and push on. Sigh.
#962126 by Hev60
07 Aug 2023, 19:39
To NYC ….. glad you managed to make your required changes eventually.

I phoned on Saturday & Sunday to try to discuss reward changes but ended up hanging up because both the agents said it was not possible. Thanks to Mitchja I knew it was.

Short while ago I spoke to very nice lady on the Frying Club telephone number, she was in Swansea ;-)

She confirmed I could change our G fares, the destination and the date. However the change I wanted to make works out considerably cheaper both in points and the taxes/surcharges etc
Apparently Virgin do not refund either the cash or points difference, so I shall stick with my San Fransisco flights and then onwards to Palm Springs :cool:

To Mitchja & CommanderB does the info I received sounds right?
#962128 by Hev60
07 Aug 2023, 22:39
mikethe3rd wrote:Have you booked a cash fare and then upgraded with points or an outright reward redemption?

Hi Mike. This is what I booked to LHR -SFO March 2024.

* One PE reward using 65k points + taxes etc
* One PE cash fare, used 18k points to reduce price a bit.

*. Then both fares upgraded to UC return with credit card vouchers

Fares LHR -Johannesburg are considerably cheaper in terms of cash, taxes etc and points required.

They also want £50 & £30 to change the fares which I had expected but no refund of cash or points :-(
#962135 by mikethe3rd
08 Aug 2023, 17:51
Ok, that's a bit more complicated than I'd hoped. I have no clue about the CC vouchers and their T&Cs I'm afraid, but...

1. The outright PE reward - they should refund taxes and points - minus the processing fee. (They effectively cancel your original flight and just book the new one).

2. The cash PE fare - they should charge the processing fee and not refund you anything, even if the new PE fare is cheaper. I also believe they're correct in not refunding the points you used to reduce the original fare.

That leaves the CC voucher and if you can get a refund on the UC taxes and get the voucher returned to your account... anyone?!
#962136 by Hev60
08 Aug 2023, 18:40
Hi Mike. Firstly thank you for taking the time to reply. .
Your explanation is exactly the way the lady explained it yesterday.

As far as the credit card vouchers work. For info, she said they would just get carried over to our new
booking (if we decided to make the change)
So we would book a PE reward & PE cash fares to JNB and upgrade with the vouchers again.

I was only concerned about the price difference & I also asked if my cash fare could now become a PE reward as I now have enough points. However same answer “No”
We wasn’t interested in getting the points difference refunded because my loyalty with VS is waning rapidly.

At the end of the day rules regarding T&C’s are clearly stated, not as though many folk read them! Obviously had I have known I might want to change my booking I should have booked Flexi tickets .
Thanks again, Hev
Virgin Atlantic