For all non-Virgin travel topics, with subforums for popular common themes.
#962237 by catsilversword
20 Aug 2023, 09:01
Do these really work? Tried using an international sim a few years ago, bought it here, followed instructions, but couldn’t get it to work. E sim suggests it’s a virtual card, rather than a physical one, but do they work? Happy to go that route, but less keen to get one, then find it doesn’t work and end up buying a sim in the US anyway.
#962238 by Murraymint
20 Aug 2023, 13:20
I use an e-sim from Holafly every time I’m over and it works well. Used it in Orlando, Miami, Boston and NYC.
Not necessarily the cheapest but always has great coverage and an unlimited data option.
#962239 by mitchja
20 Aug 2023, 13:36
Yes they do work just the same way as a regular SIM card. The physical SIM cards's days are well and truly numbered now as more and more handset manufacturers are saving space in devices and starting to remove the SIM card slot. All networks are slowly switching over to support eSIMs as well. All the main 4 UK networks already offer eSIM as an option and the virtual network operators are also catching up now too.

Many handset's now also support dual SIM are well so you can have your existing plan running along side an International eSIM plan when travelling. The latest handsets also support duel eSIM as well as eSIM + physical SIM.
#962240 by catsilversword
20 Aug 2023, 17:18
This is a daft question, but I’m having a dumb Sunday. What do you do with it, as it’s presumably virtual? iPhones in use here (12 mini and 14), so I’d assume - hope - it’d be supported?
#962241 by catsilversword
20 Aug 2023, 17:19
Murraymint wrote:I use an e-sim from Holafly every time I’m over and it works well. Used it in Orlando, Miami, Boston and NYC.
Not necessarily the cheapest but always has great coverage and an unlimited data option.

Thanks for that advice!
#962242 by Murraymint
20 Aug 2023, 19:01
catsilversword wrote:This is a daft question, but I’m having a dumb Sunday. What do you do with it, as it’s presumably virtual? iPhones in use here (12 mini and 14), so I’d assume - hope - it’d be supported?

When you purchase it you should get a QR code. You scan this into the phone (when in WiFi) and it should install. You should receive instructions when you buy. I keep my normal Sim for calls and texts and the e-sim is configured for data. I use an iPhone 13 so the 14 should be ok - not so sure about the 12 though.
#962243 by mitchja
20 Aug 2023, 20:45
All iPhones from the XS (10S) upwards support eSIM.

The iPhone 14 upwards also no longer needs a WIFi connection to set-up / swap eSIM's. An iPhone 14 purchased within the US now doesn't even come with a SIM card slot anymore. Will have to see what happens with the new iPhone 15 that's due next month but the rumours are more iPhones will no longer have SIM card slots purchased in certain territories. Can't see that happening yet though for UK versions of the new iPhone.
Virgin Atlantic