This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#962137 by bnkarp
09 Aug 2023, 15:02
Greetings, everyone.

I’ve recently signed up for an AmEx UK Platinum card (in large part because of positive reviews of the travel insurance, which allows trips of 90 days, and the rental car damage/theft coverage; the other benefits should hopefully help tip things into more than offsetting the hefty annual fee).

The card earns Membership Rewards points at 1 point per pound, but 2 points per pound for all travel booked through AmEx travel.

I’ve always bought all my tickets direct from Virgin, as that gives me maximal freedom to get support for upgrades and changes from the VS FC Gold line.

I believe I’ve read on V-Flyer that there can be difficulties upgrading or changing tickets bought from travel agents with VS; that agents often “lock” a ticket so that only the agent can make changes.

My question: can anyone report their experience with upgrading or changing tickets on VS purchased from AmEx UK travel? Do you always have to go through AmEx for upgrades and changes, or can they be made with VS directly? And if one must always talk to AmEx, how are they on upgrades and changes?

A second question while I’m at it: does anyone have a firm view on the value of Membership Rewards points for transfer at 1:1 to Flying Club? I am trying to figure out if I should keep charging all my travel on my existing AmEx cash back card (at 1% cash back), or if I’d get better value earning 2 Membership Rewards points per pound and transferring the MR points to FC for VS upgrades from economy to upper. It’s hard to say exactly how to value the upgrade vs. cash back. I think I can earn enough MR points for a one sector US west coast to London economy to upper upgrade by spending around £24k on travel through AmEx UK travel. I’d earn about £240 cash back on the same spend on my cash back card. Is the upgrade worth more than £240? Depends on how you measure. Buying the Virgin points for that upgrade costs something like £870, but that price is almost certainly inflated, so the true value of the upgrade is some figure lower than that.

All experience with upgrades and changes on AmEx-purchased VS tickets appreciated, as well as thoughts on AmEx MR points value vs. 1% cash back!

Thanks,
Brad
#962138 by mitchja
09 Aug 2023, 15:52
As with all agents bookings, any changes or upgrades can only be done by the agent. The only point VS take control of an agent booking is at the T-24hrs when the booking comes under airport control.

Sometimes AmEx really doesn’t make any sense as one of the reasons why I downgraded from Platinum to Gold is that the Preferred Gold card actually earns more MR points for spend with Amex Travel and direct airline spend!?!

Plat only earns x2 yet Gold earns x3 MR of Amex Travel
Plat also only earns x1 on airline spend yet Gold earns x2

It’s utter madness and the Plat annual fee was becoming less and less justifiable for me. Gold is £160 a year whereas Plat is £575. I get my travel insurance via a packaged current account.

It’s also around now that AmEx will no longer pro-rata refunds on annual fees if you cancel/downgrade. I can’t remember the exact date this new policy kicks in though sorry?
#962139 by bnkarp
09 Aug 2023, 16:17
Thanks, @mitchja.

My current account actually includes travel insurance, but each trip is limited to only 30 days, and does not cover work trips. I need the flexibility to do trips up to 90 days, so the Platinum insurance fits. (Seems like the Nationwide Flex Plus travel insurance allows 90-day trips with a paid supplement, though, so perhaps I could switch my current account there…)

Brad
#962140 by bnkarp
09 Aug 2023, 16:36
I called FC Gold and asked them about upgrades and changes to AmEx UK Travel-purchased tickets.

The FC Gold member of staff claimed that VS can upgrade an AmEx UK Travel-purchased ticket with points(even more than 24h before departure), but that changes have to be done with AmEx. Is this possibly correct?

Thanks,
Brad
#962260 by CJ17
25 Aug 2023, 11:44
@bnkarp I booked a return trip (LHR-PVG) with Amex travel and I was able to upgrade via both the VS app and their call center. Actually the app got me a very good deal (~£380) to upgrade from H to Z one way, and the VS call center was able to upgrade the other leg with my Virgin points without even mentioning Amex.

In terms of upgrade vs. cash back, I'd always check how much the fare difference is between Economy/Premium and Upper. Here's an example: upgrading LHR-TLV from Premium to G (both ways) requires 24,000 points (+ tax and fees), and the fare difference is usually £1k+. In this particular case I'm convinced that upgrading with points is worth it, plus you may get discount from your Platinum card booking Premium.

But I do agree with @mitchja, it really doesn't make sense that Platinum earns less MR points than Gold (not to mention there's no foreign transaction bonus either). I've questioned Amex before and they simply said "the Platinum card provides a different kind of experience" [insert facepalm emoji here]. Although you do gain the opportunity trying out high-end restaurants...
Virgin Atlantic