Please use this forum is for Virgin Atlantic trip reports. There is a subforum for other airline reports.
#962643 by mitchja
22 Oct 2023, 19:30
Ground Staff
Food & Drink
Entertainment
Seat
Cabin Crew
After a few days in the sunshine in Fort Lauderdale, it was time to head back home. DL use T2 at FLL which is the new terminal so it's all very modern and easy. Since I last flew from FLL, they now have those new 3D security scanners for security. Clearly they are very new as there were a number issues whilst I was going though in 1 of the 2 TSA-Pre/Clear lanes. Several bags in front of mine all had to be put back through and re-scanned. The staff seems a bit flustered. It ended up taking longer than using the standard scanners! The rest of the DL flight was uneventful.

As I had a ~4Hr connection at ATL I decided to take my time and walk all the way from concourse B where the DL arrived to concourse F (the International terminal). I did a quick check using my Apple Watch and it took me 28 minutes and was 1.19 miles. It's a straight forward walk following the plane train until you get to concourse E but from there you have to go up the escalators and walk through the entire concourse before reaching the International terminal.

I headed straight up to the International DL SkyClub lounge. No lines/queues to get in today though I did notice lines were forming by the time I left the lounge later. My International boarding pass was scanned and I was welcomed in. It was pretty busy as usual so I started off sitting in the SkyDeck semi-outdoor area, though it got a little chilly so I headed back inside and found a seat in the quieter upstairs area. The usual self-service hot and cold snacks as well as a few concession stands; one serving popcorn and another serving cupcakes. I had a plate of meatballs which were was really good. No mac & cheese today that I could see sadly!?!

I watched for the VS103 and the VS109 arrive. Interesting that VS swapped A/C that day as the incoming A/C from LHR was the A/C that flew us back to MAN. I have noticed though the LHR ATL flights are now a mix of either A333's or A350's but the A350's don't go back to MAN. The remaining time the the lounge passed pretty quickly and before long a 'pre-departure' announcement was made informing pax that the VS110 to MAN would start boarding in around 10mins. Seems a bit odd, why not just wait 10mins and tell pax the flight is now boarding? Anyway, I waited 10 mins or so and after a quick bathroom stop, I headed to gate F4.

Pre-boarding had already started so I just waited in the priority lane. Group 1 boarding was soon announced. Fun and games with the priority line boarding pass scanner as I was the first in line and my boarding pass beeped and flashed red so I was sent to the desk. The pax behind me also got a red light as did the the pax behind them. A pattern was starting to form here. It was then noticed that the scanner hadn't been updated to the correct flight so I was directed back under the barriers to try again and surprise surprise I now got a green light using the other scanner.

I was warmly welcomed at the A/C door and directed to my 6A seat onboard G-VNYC Uptown Girl (A333). Pre-departure drinks soon appeared as did the FSM coming to say hello, welcome me on board and thanked me for being Flying Club gold. The Upper Class cabin soon filled up again with all 31 seats occupied. Sleep suits were handed out which I always pass on as I bring my own shorts and t-shirt to sleep in. We had 226 pax, 9 crew and 2 flight deck crew this evening.

Menus were already on the seat along with the return of the breakfast menu order form. Great to see those back again :cool:

Th door was soon closed and we pushed-back 5 mins early. Another short taxi and we rotated at 18:13. Another set of friendly professional crew on this flight. A few days earlier I'd pre-ordered to Speedy Supper soup option (which was mushroom soup with a cheese toastie). I wasn't sure if it had gone through as I never received a confirmation email like you normally do and there was no SPM note printed on my boarding pass. The crew confirmed they did have my order.

After takeoff drinks and crisps were handed out along with ordered taken for the meal. Another crew member came and got my table ready for my speedy supper which soon appeared. The soup was really good again. My breakfast card was completed and handed in and I also requested to be woken up for breakfast. Once that was cleared I get and got changed and flipped my seat over to sleep. The cabin was pretty warm as usual on over-night flights.

The older A333/B789 bed is still the best bed out of all the VS fleet. It's flatter, wider and smother than all the other seats when in bed mode. I managed a good few hours sleep as was woken by the announcement from the captain saying we were about 200miles away from Manchester. I got up, got changed and freshened up. Breakfast was very rushed as by this point we started our final approach in to MAN. Not sure what happened about getting woken up? For arrival into LHR I would normally skip breakfast and eat in Revivals. MAN doesn't have that luxury unfortunately.

We landed about 40mins early and surprise surprise we parked on a remote stand >-(. At least it was dry this morning. Bus to arrivals which was then only a short walk to immigration. The e-Gates booted me out again (even on a new passport). Luggage didn't take long to come off and I was soon back in my car driving home.

All in all another good VS flight though the breakfast timings does need improvement.

Back on this VS109 flight at the end of Dec - let's see if I get a remote stand then as well! I'm flying back into LHR though as I couldn't get a reward flight back to MAN on the dates I wanted.
#962644 by buns
22 Oct 2023, 20:11
Thanks for TR James - as usual, you always provide necessary details which is a help to us all!

I am about to return from SAN on BA in CW, so was particularly interested in the on board experience. I will do a TR on my return and can say here that the food on the outbound is far superior to the current VS offering.

Both Mrs Buns and I agree with you - the 333/789 UC seats are the best :-D

Thanks once again

Buns
#962647 by Treelo
23 Oct 2023, 10:03
Another very informative trip report, James, thanks for that. Sounds like the soup and toastie option is the way to go, although my next trip isn't until Apr so hopefully a menu change before then!
Virgin Atlantic