This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#962655 by Martin5192
24 Oct 2023, 20:26
Has anyone had any experience of booking points to go to New Zealand. On the booking site it only allows you to book for cash. Am I missing something or can it only be done through Flying Club. We are looking at routing out through either SFO or LAX on VS.
#962663 by narikin
25 Oct 2023, 13:50
A forum search will turn up many posts answering your exact question
but:

Economy or Biz? there's a big difference.
Economy is possible,
Biz is very very hard.

You need to call to book, be flexible, and do it many months ahead.
It is possible. Have done it twice myself in Business, with VS miles. 2 pax both times.
#962674 by narikin
26 Oct 2023, 17:47
Just to be clear, it's the Air NZ miles seats that are very hard to find in Business/Upper class using VS miles.
VS seats, on their own metal, are a lot easier to get.

Heading UK to West Coast US on VS Upper is lovely, if you find your ideal dates/seats, but the onward leg down to NZ is similar/ longer duration, fwiw, and extremely good value - much cheaper in money (no crazy UK taxes). I'd probably do the reverse of you, IF able to find miles Biz seats on Air NZ. Plus I'd enjoy the delayed gratification of getting Business for the second half of a long, long trip. Doing both in Biz is golden, of course, if you have the miles and can book them. A break/stay in LA/SF is of course an option to split it up.

NZ is wonderful of course - that's why we went twice.