This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#962445 by Louie84x
24 Sep 2023, 09:42
Hello I don’t suppose anyone has any idea if the Manchester clubhouse is still going ahead or if it was totally shelved? I’ve messaged virgin to ask but in the meantime thought id ask here!

Booking flights for next July and Manchester would be so much more convenient as we live North, but we do love that clubhouse!!

Failing that has anyone been in the 1903 lounge? Not expecting it to be same level as clubhouse but is it standard escape/aspire type lounge or better?

Thanks!!
#962446 by mitchja
24 Sep 2023, 10:03
Last time I heard anything was the MAN Clubhouse was still going ahead but had been pushed back until 2024.

The 1903 lounge is OK (way better than the old T2 Escape lounge) with decent self-service food options which is better than Escape/Aspire offerings. Capacity is as issue though last time I was there is was very busy.

I'm back there again in a 3 weeks as I'm heading back to FLL via ATL so will see how things are then.
#962447 by Louie84x
24 Sep 2023, 10:41
Thank you, yeah i was just reading some reviews that mentioned it can be super busy… if we got the Manchester flight tho it’s like 10am so we’d be there early morning so maybe slightly quieter?

2024 would be good, Manchester to vegas flights launch June 24 so I was kinda hoping IF they were to open it, would make sense to in line with increased flights out of Manchester…
#962448 by mitchja
24 Sep 2023, 11:36
VS only have 3 or 4 departure a day from MAN, however, the 1903 lounge is used by several other airlines as well. I know SQ is one and there are others. It's also a pay to enter lounge (though pre-bookable only).

Other than the Escape lounge, there are currently no other lounges in T2.

The renovations on the old part of T2 has now commenced so that space may become available for more airline / shared lounges. That's the same areas were the old T2 lounges where located. Before this phase of the renovations started, whilst the old T2 departure gates and the seating areas around the gates were still being used, all the other retail and public spaces were closed off.

I would guess the old departure gates are now no longer is use (?) which will unfortunately mean the likelihood of remote stands / buses to & from A/C will increase in the short term.

Mind you even when the old gates were in use, VS were still using remotes stands at MAN last year >-( though I even got a remote stand when arriving on the VS12 at LHR T3 a few months for the first time ever at LHR :-O

I believe the actual space for the MAN VS Clubhouse is already there (next to the 1903 & Escape lounge) it's just never been furnished.

I'm flying VS again from MAN on Oct 13th (and also trying the recently opened T2 Holiday Inn as well) so I will report back then.
#962453 by David1946
24 Sep 2023, 22:46
We flew out of Man 2 weeks ago with SQ and the 1903 lounge was fine. We arrived about 8am and business was steady but not over crowded and, at least, SQ use the nearby new gates whereas with VS last February we had to walk all the way to the old Gate 201.
#962456 by Kraken
26 Sep 2023, 12:11
David1946 wrote:We flew out of Man 2 weeks ago with SQ and the 1903 lounge was fine. We arrived about 8am and business was steady but not over crowded and, at least, SQ use the nearby new gates whereas with VS last February we had to walk all the way to the old Gate 201.

Also remember that with US departures, a random number of passengers get SSSS - a security frisking & explosive swab test before boarding the aircraft. This equipment will not be available at all gates, given that the vast majority of MAN traffic is non-USA.
#962457 by mitchja
26 Sep 2023, 13:29
I’ve departed from both the old and new gates at MAN T2 with VS (and I've had SSSS from both as well).
#962461 by Kraken
27 Sep 2023, 14:08
It is a joke when a "security officer" on £10.42 an hour is seen to be policing the US border if you are randomly selected. G4S will only be paying the minimum wage.
#962538 by EstelleB
09 Oct 2023, 12:40
Heads up re. SSSS- after being 'randomly' selected for the extra security check every single time I travelled to the US I contacted Homeland Security and asked if they could check why this was happening as one of the gate attendants told me that someone else with my name must be on a 'list' somewhere!

They wouldn't tell me why it was happening, but have given me a code to use with any future flight bookings to the US which is supposed to stop this happening! Haven't tested it out yet but will report back !

Quick question re. current lounge set up at Manchester - we aren't due to fly again til next August, but please can someone confirm to me if UC travellers can take a companion into the lounge like they can at LHR? Our party may be spit across UC and PE so it would be helpful to know. Cheers
#962539 by mitchja
09 Oct 2023, 16:30
Having a Redress number won’t stop SSSS completely unfortunately, though it should help reduce it.

I have a Redress number on all my bookings and I still get SSSS randomly at both LHR and MAN.

The guest rules are exactly the same for shared lounges so you should have no issues taking a guest into the 1903 lounge with you.
#962678 by starquake
26 Oct 2023, 19:41
The clubhouse in Man woudl be the item to make us book VS from MAN over from LHR. Despite LHR being "easier" from home we have family in Leeds, making Man an easier drive/travel situation -> and we can leave the car at their house instead of at an airport.

I just hope the remove the ex-MAN premium, it's quite literally nuts that MCO from MAN prices higher than from LHR in many cases (ditto LAS).
#962682 by Louie84x
27 Oct 2023, 11:21
starquake wrote:The clubhouse in Man woudl be the item to make us book VS from MAN over from LHR. Despite LHR being "easier" from home we have family in Leeds, making Man an easier drive/travel situation -> and we can leave the car at their house instead of at an airport.

I just hope the remove the ex-MAN premium, it's quite literally nuts that MCO from MAN prices higher than from LHR in many cases (ditto LAS).
#962737 by Louie84x
03 Nov 2023, 15:43
So I just asked on chat, and the agent confirmed Manchester clubhouse is being built at the minute, just couldn’t confirm timeline…. :D
#962738 by Claphambear
03 Nov 2023, 23:48
Louie84x wrote:So I just asked on chat, and the agent confirmed Manchester clubhouse is being built at the minute, just couldn’t confirm timeline…. :D

How odd and shows how little the agents know - it was built prior to covid then the world changed. VS “Sold off” all their clubhouses except LHR to a third party. They have brought a few back under the Clubhouse but the plans for Man remain “on hold” same with LAX

BTW The other day on Twitter a customer asked about treatments at the LHR Clubhouse and was sent a list and told to book - the agent didnt have a clue the spa was long gone so take any advice from them with a bucket of salt

VS are suffering really badly with the suspension of the Isreal route - it was the most profitable as it was a direct feeder onto the NY flights . Telling with a very senior VS person last week confirmed by suspicions - I would think investment in a new clubhouse is down the line further until the war is over
#962740 by mitchja
04 Nov 2023, 23:19
laviation wrote:The MAN clubhouse should be open in time for the re-launch of Vegas.

For info, MAN>LAS flights re-start June 2nd 2024.
#962822 by Joshl257
23 Nov 2023, 09:39
This has to be the most drawn out clubhouse opening ever. I remember reading the press release at the end of 2019, that’s how long this has been going on for. Virgin have a real opportunity to win in the north if they get this right. Those of us who have travelled Upper Class through LHR know what the full experience should be. I really hope Virgin put in the fun features like the bar, pool tables and dining spaces. Those of us who use the 1903 lounge currently know it gets busy in the morning, so I hope Virgin stagger the flights throughout the day. Also because of VS partnerships with Skyteam and Singapore Airlines other airlines will be using the lounge.

It’s brilliant that LAS flight are coming back because we had a real lack of flights to West Coast from MAN. We normally get a press release about the summer schedule this time of year. So hopefully we get more details on the clubhouse and any new flights for MAN. Would like to see LAX come back because it had really good connections. Would love to know everyone’s thoughts.
#963022 by Dobbo
21 Dec 2023, 23:44
I would hope that over the coming years there will be an increase of VS (and partners) flights at MAN such that the clubhouse can be well justified.

There is obviously never a good time for it, but Covid came at a particularly bad time for VS’s plans at Manchester, which have somewhat stalled, and hopefully we will see some of them come to fruition in the coming years.
#963652 by Mabby
Today, 16:49
Flying Man - Mco in June upper and wondering if there is any news over the clubhouse opening anytime soon.
The 1903 lounge can be a bit hit and miss.
Virgin Atlantic