This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#962665 by starquake
25 Oct 2023, 14:17
David wrote:Let’s hope there’s some better options on pre order. Whoever’s signing off these menus needs to get a grip.

David

I'm still annoyed at the VS lack of beef onboard and havn't flown in J since implemented (mostly down to price, but meal choice does have a partial place too, as if prices were equal I'd book BA as food is better). I understand the Branson family direction here, but equally there are great (but expensive) faux-beef Impossible like burgers etc on option, and even steak like options nowadays. Where is my beef or fake Beef bourguignon... which I swear I've had on BA at least 3 times in last 4 years.
#962673 by territt
26 Oct 2023, 15:52
starquake wrote:
David wrote:Let’s hope there’s some better options on pre order. Whoever’s signing off these menus needs to get a grip.

David

I'm still annoyed at the VS lack of beef onboard and havn't flown in J since implemented (mostly down to price, but meal choice does have a partial place too, as if prices were equal I'd book BA as food is better). I understand the Branson family direction here, but equally there are great (but expensive) faux-beef Impossible like burgers etc on option, and even steak like options nowadays. Where is my beef or fake Beef bourguignon... which I swear I've had on BA at least 3 times in last 4 years.

I just find the no beef because of the carbon footprint crazy when your flying upper, the carbon footprint of the seat is crazy, they wont have a choice but to backtrack on this in time.
#962676 by RyanJW
26 Oct 2023, 18:55
I applaud the Pre-Choice option to what is a typically over-engineered menu of 'lets be fancy but forgetting its being prepared in a tiny kitchen flying at 35,000 feet'.

But how in this day and age, do they still not have photos of all the items on Pre-Choice website? Surely they would know what they are serving (and have pictures to show the crew how to plate these options). Why can't they just show us! 8-)

PS. I'm with the Beef crowd. Get over yourselves VS, you burn dinosaur bones in a small metal tube, high in the atmosphere so stop giving us watered down Amenity Kits, lower services, poorer food choices etc. in the name of being Green. Next thing would be to introduce 1Ply Toilet Paper to help them save weight which saves fuel which saves emissions, and we should all be thankful for this innovative new green solutions. Actually I shouldn't give them ideas :D

Sorry, rant over. :-D
#962677 by Scarebus350
26 Oct 2023, 19:25
RyanJW wrote:Next thing would be to introduce 1Ply Toilet Paper to help them save weight which saves fuel which saves emissions, and we should all be thankful for this innovative new green solutions. Actually I shouldn't give them ideas :D

Sorry, rant over. :-D

Please don’t give them any more stupid ideas ;-)
#962679 by buns
26 Oct 2023, 22:01
Mrs Buns and I have just returned from a jaunt to the West Coast of the USA on BA. In the advance forthcoming TR, I attach the menu.
What I will say is the food was wholesome and plentiful

Buns
Attachments
35E681B1-1F53-4D33-8BA1-F39B5C9BB639.jpeg
BA Club Menu
35E681B1-1F53-4D33-8BA1-F39B5C9BB639.jpeg (82.16 KiB) Viewed 8000 times
#962680 by Sunseeker
27 Oct 2023, 10:15
Hi

Got my pre Oder email yesterday fly next Thursday
So I have opted for the cod other 2 have gone for herb roasted chicken breast
Let’s hope they look like the pictures they sent once order was confirmed
#962681 by Treelo
27 Oct 2023, 10:40
buns wrote:Mrs Buns and I have just returned from a jaunt to the West Coast of the USA on BA. In the advance forthcoming TR, I attach the menu.
What I will say is the food was wholesome and plentiful

Buns

Now, that menu is floating my boat (plane?!). Perhaps now is the time for VS to be re-thinking their menu pickers and aim for a return to 'normal' food, prepared and served well.
#962781 by CommanderB
15 Nov 2023, 12:29
Heres some of the options from the return west coast menu.

Duck starter (would recommend, very tasty)

BBQ Chicken main (BBQ sauce was very strong, but actually I really liked this. Basically junk food given the Mac & Cheese, but I like that!)

Chocolate mousse cake dessert (delicious)

Cheese board

Breakfast pre-order card is back, in an improved format:
#962783 by Claphambear
15 Nov 2023, 17:50
Was on VS24 Monday arriving yesterday.

Had the chicken soup as a starter (delicious but looked gloopy !)

Duck breast - yuck, untouched and sent back

Paella - sounded great but really wasnt. Smelled “too fishy” so left it

Partner had the chicken balls and pasta which was superb (I had sone too !)

The mixed berry pudding (think warm Bakewell) was one of the best in flight puddings I have ever had

Pre-ordered breakfast - no real change from previous offering on the LAX route. OK but not good/great (bacon was truly awful !)

Feedback going into Crawley Towers this evening . Aircraft’s very tired - several seats (including mine) wouldnt recline (not ideal on a long red-eye)

Have stacks of photos for a V-Flyers wife but cant work out how to post on here …….
#962792 by Waddo56
17 Nov 2023, 10:40
"Feedback going into Crawley Towers this evening . Aircraft’s very tired - several seats (including mine) wouldnt recline (not ideal on a long red-eye) "

Was this B789 G-VSPY? Are they still having seat issues in Upper with the B789 fleet?
#962793 by LREDI
17 Nov 2023, 10:54
Issues with the seat parts manufacturer and supply chain impacting the old upper suites from what I understand. Really, not ideal.
#962839 by ShreddedWheat
26 Nov 2023, 16:51
territt wrote:
starquake wrote:

David

I just find the no beef because of the carbon footprint crazy when your flying upper, the carbon footprint of the seat is crazy, they wont have a choice but to backtrack on this in time.

Ah, that might explain the CHICKEN lasagne on my last flight. I didn't know about the Branson Beef Boycott but this is why. Good to know!
#962841 by ShreddedWheat
26 Nov 2023, 17:09
I wonder if anybody in catering looks at the menu as a whole rather than the individual dishes. Recent (Nov) flight SFO-LHR in Premium and the menu was 4 courses of cheese! Mozzarella salad followed by mac 'n' cheese then cheesecake for desserts and rounded off with a plate of....cheeses. I really like cheese, but even I got a bit bored of this menu (I'd already preselected the main but there were no other choices for the starter, dessert of cheese plate (other than to refuse, of course!). The only saving grace was that the macaroni cheese was heavy on the pasta and the cheese "sauce" was dry and almost non-existent. Under other circumstances would be a case for complaint!
Attachments
VS menu.jpg
VS menu.jpg (123.73 KiB) Viewed 6639 times
#962867 by marklife
28 Nov 2023, 18:48
I wonder if anybody in catering looks at the menu as a whole rather than the individual dishes. Recent (Nov) flight SFO-LHR in Premium and the menu was 4 courses of cheese!

Yes we had the same thoughts in Premium JFK-LHR too! Cheese upon cheese lol!
#963052 by Scarebus350
29 Dec 2023, 22:03
Just got the preselect options for VS106 SEA-LHR for next week
Grilled BBQ Chicken
Lobster Paella
Four cheese pasta
Soup

That’s it. I assume that is exactly the same as what’ll be on board? Absolute garbage for dairy/shellsfish allergies
#963055 by Joshl257
29 Dec 2023, 23:41
I had to mark VS down on the food on my flight on VS 75 a few weeks ago I was still hungry after the flight apparently they tried to ring me 3 days after my flight but I cannot see it in my calls. But basically I’m feel when I flew in December of 2021 the food and drink offering was in a really good place. But I feel now we are seeing the cost cutting in the Premium and Upper Class cabins. I tried the new Tampa flight in January of this year and they had run off of food in Upper Class. We used to get full seized sandwiches not these tiny finger ones with little to no filling. I suspect i will be getting another random call before my Atlanta flight. But the crew are great just given them what they need to deliver the service we all love.
#963061 by Waddo56
30 Dec 2023, 17:25
Scarebus350 wrote:Just got the preselect options for VS106 SEA-LHR for next week
Grilled BBQ Chicken
Lobster Paella
Four cheese pasta
Soup

That’s it. I assume that is exactly the same as what’ll be on board? Absolute garbage for dairy/shellsfish allergies

Just had the same preselect options for VS 156 LAS-LHR next week!
#963130 by SDFLYER
10 Jan 2024, 21:25
Just flown business with Qatar from Amsterdam to Phuket via DOA, the food offering and quality We’re amazing, Not looking forward to the food on our VS Upper trip to Miami in March. VS need to wake up and listen to their customers!
Attachments
06b04a42-3e30-44b5-b3a9-c648a0a7502b.jpeg
Great cheese selection
06b04a42-3e30-44b5-b3a9-c648a0a7502b.jpeg (99.67 KiB) Viewed 5174 times
361d93e0-6a12-466b-9927-b282bf2f95a1.jpeg
King Prawns
361d93e0-6a12-466b-9927-b282bf2f95a1.jpeg (40.09 KiB) Viewed 5174 times
11433504-ac0a-498f-9ea2-731f3e0c088e.jpeg
Beef fillet with mash
11433504-ac0a-498f-9ea2-731f3e0c088e.jpeg (86.54 KiB) Viewed 5174 times
#963132 by Lukecouchman
11 Jan 2024, 01:16
I flew a round trip recently from LHR to JFK. Had pork Belly on the way out which was really nice! I had the sausages on the way back and was pleasantly surprised! I had seen some bad reviews but I enjoyed them.

My wife had the cod fillet on the way out. It was nice as a fish option, but it was quite dry. She had the chicken on the way back. This I would not recommend! The chicken was dry, and the bbq sauce was too tangy. The sauce was trying to make up for the dryness! It also no longer comes with mac and cheese, instead replaced with potato wedges.

As an aside, the light bite Bao Bun was amazing too!
#963134 by Scarebus350
11 Jan 2024, 19:16
The Mac & cheese was also replaced with wedges on our SEA-LHR last week. There was a nice crab cake starter as well.

The paella I have to say was utterly woeful. Whoever signs off on the menu needs to take a long hard look at what’s being offered. It simply isn’t premium class fare.

I had taken the precaution of having a full on blow out lunch in the SEA Sky Club just in case and I was glad I did
#963189 by Waddo56
22 Jan 2024, 15:35
On VS155 last month my wife and I pre selected the Herb crumbed cod as someone had recommended it on here!
Very unhappy when it arrived as it was a square of fish not cod "the boil in the bag type" without any sauce on it was very dry, nothing like the picture.
I did tell the FSM and she said that they would give my feedback, I wish could have shown her the picture of what it should have looked like.
#963191 by Lukecouchman
22 Jan 2024, 22:27
mediamonkey wrote:Not the most inspiring selection for LHR to LAX next week, anyone got any suggestions of what to have / avoid?

​​​​​​​Image

Personally think you can’t go wrong with the pork belly! I really enjoyed it
#963275 by RyanJW
04 Feb 2024, 14:38
I had G-VSPY from SFO>LHR last week. Half the A side UC beds had issues, my favorite 8A seemed to be unscathed but both 7A & 9A wouldn’t convert to beds.

I had legitimately the worst food I’ve had on a virgin flight. Crew were outstanding but the bbq chicken was atrocious. The highlight was the Hambledon English Sparkling, which they still don’t serve in the Clubhouse for weird reasons.
Virgin Atlantic