This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#962835 by DVCMichael
25 Nov 2023, 19:40
Is it possible to buy extra points to make up the difference between the points I have and the points I need at the time of booking and still hold. the seat. I don’t want to buy extra points if I can’t use them, also is there still a phone number or is it all on line. Last flight was May 2021 so a bit out the loop now with points.
Thanks Michael
#962840 by tontybear
26 Nov 2023, 16:58
If I remember rightly if you don't have the right number of points during the web booking process you can buy them during it. It says something like 'you need more points click here to buy them' and then pauses the booking whilst you do that and the VS points total updates.

It used to be pretty seamless though it has been a long while since I did this. Worth a try anyway

There really is no need to call and the phone number would be the normal booking number as per the VS website
#962852 by starquake
27 Nov 2023, 15:18
Amex points also use to transfer speedily, ie, within an hour or so. I keep a stash of amex points for if VS points not enough.
#962863 by Planelover
28 Nov 2023, 14:28
@Tontybear It's not so seamless anymore; I've tried it twice during this reward seat sale and the previous one in September. The booking isn't held and I lost out on a UC reward seat because the bought miles took a while to credit.

@DVCMichael I thought you needed to make use of the 72 hour hold; it is a good failsafe in case the miles don't automatically credit.
#962868 by vic110
28 Nov 2023, 20:20
I have just bought some miles in order to book reward seats during this black Friday sale. I bought them online and they were added to my account immediately.
Also I don't know if everyone is aware but you can easily transfer points between accounts for just a £10 fee. I transferred some points from my husband's account and again they were transferred immediately.
#962900 by catsilversword
03 Dec 2023, 18:07
catsilversword wrote:Or they transfer free on the phone!

Apparently, I shouldn’t have had my miles transferred for free - felt I was getting my wrists slapped on this, even though it was the agent I spoke to last week who did it!
Virgin Atlantic