This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#962947 by mitchja
12 Dec 2023, 14:48
Might be useful to some; from VS Trade:

Free parking at Manchester Airport when dropping bags off the day before travel

Yes, you heard correctly! Free parking is now offered to our mutual customers, by the Manchester Airport Group, starting Monday 11 December 2023, if they are dropping their bags off the day before their flight.

The customers simply need to take a token at the car park barrier, proceed to Twilight Check-in and drop their bags off the day before their flight.

The Virgin Atlantic check-in agent will validate their car park token and return it back to the customer. This token can then be used to exit the car park without a charge.

Where: Terminal 2 West Multi Storey Car Park
Open: Everyday from16:00 – 20:00

The west car park is the newer of the 2 multi-story car parks at T2 and is directly linked to T2 departures at the far end of the terminal.
#962949 by mitchja
12 Dec 2023, 17:16
From memory as well, I *think* you may only be able to use the ground floor parking level in the west car park as there are signs saying level 1 upwards is for pre-booked parking only.

I’ve only ever used that car park for pre-booked parking and ended up finding spaces on level 6 or higher!

I’m flying from MAN again Dec 29 and getting dropped off, though I’m staying at the T2 Holiday Inn again the night before so will get dropped off there hopefully with no charge (?)
#962950 by matt.hibb
12 Dec 2023, 18:17
mitchja wrote:From memory as well, I *think* you may only be able to use the ground floor parking level in the west car park as there are signs saying level 1 upwards is for pre-booked parking only.

I think they only care about making pre-booked cars park on 1 or upwards. If someone was to come in for pickup, drop-off, or use twighlight only, I don't think anything prevents them from using the upper levels; there are no visible number plate reading cameras after the entrance that I've noticed. Level 3 (I *think* would be the most convenient for using twighlight since it's the same as the departure level in T2 and you wouldn't need to use a lift.

mitchja wrote:I’m flying from MAN again Dec 29 and getting dropped off, though I’m staying at the T2 Holiday Inn again the night before so will get dropped off there hopefully with no charge (?)

Just got charged last week for taking a wrong turn on the way to the Holiday Inn. Had never stayed at any of the hotels before and so focused on how to get there (and with the kids in the back) that I went up the departures ramp by accident. What an idiot; the amount of times I've been to that airport! And the policy is ruthlessly enforced, zero exceptions, despite me calling and protesting at the exit.

That said, once I found the Holiday Inn, it didn't look like there would be a charge to drop off there. Although when I checked in, the agent asked if I was parked out the front of the hotel and logged my number plate even though I was heading straight back out to T2 west. So there may well be a system in place to stop people using the Holiday Inn as a loop hole to avoid the drop off charge, so watch yourself there.
#962952 by VS075
12 Dec 2023, 23:25
Before the charges came in, I once used the Radisson Blu to drop Mrs VS075 off who was flying out of T2, but purely because there was a big queue of cars waiting to go up to T2 departures. I told her to go in, take the lift up to the level where you can access the walkway that links T2 with the station and get to departures from there.

I’ve no idea what’s what nowadays as I’ve not used T2 for 5 years, but you would think they’ve thought it through to avoid it being used as a free pick-up/drop-off area.
#962953 by Dohabear
13 Dec 2023, 17:38
Having done this the other night, you use T2 West car park. You cannot park on the ground floor, only level 1 and above (level 3 is departures.
Take the token on entry and you get one hour free. The token is scanned at check in and you use it to exit the car park. I was, on this occasion ,flying with TUI but I assume the system is the same.
#962955 by Kraken
13 Dec 2023, 22:53
The Premier Inn's (Runger Lane North & South) had cameras on the car parks. You were allowed 10mins free for dropping off / picking up. Flexible too in the morning if you had booked a taxi to the airport via the hotel too - the taxi fare includes the £5 drop-off fee.
Virgin Atlantic