This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#963106 by evanspa1
08 Jan 2024, 12:35
I saw on HFP that new scanners are due to be installed in UC wing from tomorrow. I've confirmed with VS this morning that the UC Wing drive thru will be open and that you'll need to go out and use the normal premium security channel.
#963107 by mitchja
08 Jan 2024, 12:53
The BA T5 First Wing security scanners are also being upgraded as well from tomorrow for the same reason so expect changes there too.

I believe FastTrack in T3 already has the new 3D scanners (?)

Expect slight disruption at many UK airports for a couple of months until all these new 3D scanners are installed!
#963115 by mitchja
09 Jan 2024, 11:52
A message has appeared on the VS website mentioning the entire Upper Class Wing will be closed for 7 days in Feb:

Virgin Atlantic’s Upper Class Wing will be temporarily closed between 22nd and 28th February 2024 for essential improvements. During the temporary closure, passengers will be advised to use the Terminal 3 departures drop off and check in desks, before being directed to Heathrow Fast Track security on level 1.
#963117 by mitchja
09 Jan 2024, 14:33
From what I’ve read the T3 CT scanner upgrade process is anything but straightforward as the floor needs reinforcing first due to the CT scanners being significantly heavier than existing equipment. The CT scanners are also larger so maybe there’s other work needing to be done to make room as well.

It would be good if an extra lane was added as the single lane can sometimes become a bottle neck during busy periods.
#963126 by tontybear
10 Jan 2024, 12:01
territt wrote:6 days seems to be a long time to upgrade the scanners, when they did city airport each one was a overnight job.

I wonder if they are making any other updates to the wing.

No it wasn't an over night job at all.

These aren't just upgrading the old ones it's nstalling a completly different type. And it takes time to remove the old one to be able install the new as well as they have different footprints. It is a process that takes weeks not days which is why the private security channel is closed from now until lateFebruary/
#963146 by dmc
14 Jan 2024, 07:30
Having just been through this morning, as DDR95 mentioned - everything operating normally if you use the Drive Through Check in part of the Upper Class Wing, the private security channel is still operating.

What does seem to have changed for the moment is the door from the main terminal / downstairs appears to be closed off, so probably the private security channel isn't available if checking in downstairs.
#963147 by flyingfox
15 Jan 2024, 22:08
There’s an update on the programme of works;

Virgin Atlantic Upper Class Wing Refurbishment/Closure

You’ll see some temporary hoarding and closure to parts of the Upper Class Wing over the next few months whilst we make some refurbishments.

Now until 21st February the Upper Class Wing drop off, check in and Private Security channel are open but there is a temporary entrance into the Upper Class Wing from the terminal. Walk to the right past the hoarding covering the original terminal side entrance to the temporary entrance.

22nd-28th February. Full closure. Customers are advised to use the Terminal 3 departures drop off and check in desks, before being directed to Heathrow Fast Track security on level 1.

29th February to 13th May The Upper Class Wing will be open for Drop off and check in but the private Security channel will be closed, customers are advised to continue to use Heathrow Fast Track security on Level 1
Virgin Atlantic