Please use this forum is for Virgin Atlantic trip reports. There is a subforum for other airline reports.
#963119 by pjh
09 Jan 2024, 16:41
Ground Staff
Food & Drink
Entertainment
Seat
Cabin Crew
All good things must come to an end, and so it was that we bade farewell to Jack Black and John Cooper Clarke after a week that included a reading of "A Christmas Carol", an evening with Rufus Wainwright and possibly the most barking theatrical experience we've ever had, "Sleep No More". As it was a late flight, we'd tried to spin out our day, even engineering a visit to McSorley's Tavern, but in the end thought "Sod it, let's just head to the airport. They won't turn us away."

I'd been trying to suggest the idea of a relatively stress free trip out from Penn Station to Jamaica and the AIr Train, but this received a rather - well, very - frosty reception so another Yellow Cab it was. This proved to be a quite lengthy, but stress free, trip so we arrived at T4 in good spirits. I'd been warned by text about possibly building work disruption to check in, and advised we could use the Delta One facility. Which we duly did, spotting the VS branded desks at the far end.

What's the word for a level of interest that's lower than disinterested? Well, that was how we were greeted, even to the words "are you sure you're flying with Virgin?". I don't always expect bubbly enthusiasm, real or faked, but this? Really? Not the best of starts. Farewell, young person, I hope you have a happy and fulfilling career in a customer facing role, possibly as a CBP agent.

Exit checks and security was quick, and we were soon at the Clubhouse with (as I recall) 3 hours to go before our flight. With this in mind, along with the food experience on the way in, the two gaols were pacing drinking and eating something. The former wasn't too much of a challenge, as the Clubhouse was crowded (to the point where they had someone managing access to the toilets at one point) and the serving staff seemed largely unaware of the location of tables, so any order taken via the QR code took some time to arrive (and again, sparkling water was not a menu item). I swallowed my pride and ordered the Almost Burger, and despite its tiny proportions, it wasn't bad at all. By the time (a) I'd decided I could risk a Woodford Reserve and (b) it had arrived boarding was called at to a gate that seemed to be in another state. Progress towards it may have been hampered slightly by my reeling from the fumes of the downed bourbon.

To those in the know, did this used to be a Delta flight and slot? The gate was certainly down the Delta end of the terminal.

Once aboard (standard 330 this time around) the crew proved their worth in making the experience. "Ah, Mr and Mrs PJH, you've flown with us before I see", introductions, warm fuzzy feeling and soforth. Everybody seemed to be on board in double quick time, and with a shortish flight time the crew set about their duties of getting people watered, fed and settled. Opting for a diet of Woodford Reserve (stuck record), wine, cheeseboard and port, bed soon beckoned and I was out like a light for most of the flight. Having been warned of extreme consequences were I to snore, apparently I settled for a musically inclined burbling. I woke only in need of a drink of water, which proved an immense challenge due to the combination of the can ring pull technology worthy of some extreme gameshow and it being dark. Not wanting to disturb fellow dozers by putting the big light on, I was left trying to guess the opening sequence by feel only. It didn't work, so I set off in search of a glass.

For breakfast I'd opted simply for juice, coffee and a pastry in anticipation of a relaxing half hour with a bacon bap in the Recovery Lounge. We arrived pretty much on time, and when it was ok to do so I switched my phone on to a message from the car company saying "We see you've just landed, driver will be with you in 20 mins." So no Recovery Lounge for us. Oh well. Just to add to that bit of gloomy news, the announcement "as we at a remote stand you'll be bussed to the terminal". Oh well.

Once in the terminal, getting through passport control was a breeze, despite a few people acting like skittish ponies when faced with the eGates, luggage was on the belt in double quick time and we were out and away heading north and home for lunch.

Overall, not the best end to end Virgin experience, but overall it didn't detract from the fun of our time away.
#963124 by Murraymint
10 Jan 2024, 09:10
…and your return TR didn’t disappoint :-D

I hope that you enjoyed the trip overall. I think we all have some hiccups along the way while travelling these days but one thing coming up frequently is the food onboard VS. Without getting into the beef debate, an improvement would seem to be required urgently.
#963129 by pjh
10 Jan 2024, 18:04
Yes, we did enjoy it greatly, thanks for asking. As we age (disgracefully, I hope) we have come around to always looking on the bright side where leisure travel is concerned (particularly after - and I shudder when I say this - Saxmundham during Covid).

The food does need to be looked at, both in terms of content and presentation. We're off to Vietnam in a few weeks with Emirates (making up trips lost to lockdown) and it will be interesting to see their offerings now.