This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#963399 by StevieB
25 Feb 2024, 12:11
I travel upper LHR to MCO every 6 months but have never tried the WiFi. I read on one of the recent trip reports that it's pretty good. I've searched for the prices but can't seem to find them. Would anyone be able to tell me the current prices for the full journey and, does it make a difference to the aircraft type? I'm on the 330 in a couple of weeks and the 350 in September.
Thanks in advance
#963401 by mitchja
25 Feb 2024, 12:38
If you have the VS Reward+ MasterCard, and have set-it up; you can use the included Boingo account for free WiFi on your A350 flight in September.

Unfortunately the A333 A/C dont offer an option to use Boingo so you will have to pay for that one.

Boingo works on all VS A/C apart from the A330-300 A/C.
#963403 by mikethe3rd
25 Feb 2024, 16:54
It doesn’t make a difference if you’re flying upper or economy, it’s the same price. It’s ~£20.
#963414 by chumba
26 Feb 2024, 12:33
Just received this from VS

We're making changes to the Virgin Atlantic Reward+ Credit Card terms

We’re writing to let you know that our Boingo Wi-Fi service, a benefit of your Virgin Atlantic Reward+ Credit Card, will come to an end on 23rd March 2024. We just wanted to give you notice in case on-the-go WiFi is something you enjoy using so you have time to find an alternative.

Worry not, we’ll be announcing some new card benefits that we think you’ll like even more, so look out for future updates.

If you have any questions please reach out via the button below.
#963417 by robertsclark
26 Feb 2024, 13:42
Wow, that is a shame. Boingo has got me connected a couple of times, including in-flight. I haven't yet received that notification of Boingo being cut. Hope that they add something 'useful'!
#963420 by murphyg
26 Feb 2024, 15:02
My Santander Elite Mastercard has Boingo - think VS flights are one of the only times I've used it! Shame if they dump it too, or Virgin does. Not that helpful for those using the Virgin cards, obviously. I only have the free one though.
#963421 by mikeecix
26 Feb 2024, 16:40
Just looked at the Santander website and they are removing the benefit too:

"Access to 1 million Wi-Fi hotspots worldwide (This will be removed on 14 March 2024)"

https://www.santander.co.uk/personal/cr ... mastercard

Looks like the deal between Mastercard and Boingo has come to an end :-(

I did a search and found that Swedbank has the same announcement but with a replacement benefit by Felxiroam:

"Please note that on 23 March 2024, the Boingo Wi-Fi service will be replaced by the Mastercard® Global Data Roaming by Flexiroam."

Alas, it doesn't include in-flight wifi but instead a complimentary starter pack, global data plan and 15% discount.
#963464 by murphyg
02 Mar 2024, 13:35
That's annoying. I rarely used it otherwise, but the Virgin A350 etc made a difference. There aren't huge benefits with that Santander MC, apart from fee-free foreign transactions. It's annoying that they don't even offer so much as messaging free in Upper. It was weird to be on Delta domestic flights and have completely free WiFi in economy, and even Aer Lingus have it free in business.
#963486 by murphyg
06 Mar 2024, 10:27
The Flexiroam thing doesn't even seem particularly useful. Already have an array of eSIM providers to choose from if roaming isn't included in my package. Admittedly rarely used Boingo when not on a VS flight, but still. I was just now getting value from it!
Can't remember who the other roaming options were on the in-flight WiFi, but doubt they would be of use anyway.
See BA talking about free messaging on flights now. Delta had that on a transatlantic flight I did years ago. Qatar "super WiFI" is $10 for the flight I think. VS really risking falling behind on this...as well as the food (I'm still bitter about the sweet and sour pork they gave me). IFE didn't have much I was interested in either, so Boingo WiFi helped to pass the time.
#963488 by JamieF
06 Mar 2024, 11:30
The Wi-Fi cost is a big challenge for the most loyal customers, VS need to discount it for at least Gold in UC. Alongside the fact they are not buying the latest movies anymore the IFE selection is pretty poor now. You have to make sure you have downloaded enough before flying or do some work!!!!
#963489 by mitchja
06 Mar 2024, 11:50
DL now offer full free WiFi for all SkyMiles members so it's worth signing up to join SkyMiles even if like me, you always add your VS Flying Club account to all DL bookings.

To initiate the free on-board WiFi on any DL flight, you log-in to your SkyMiles account an doff you go. I suspect the BA free messaging system will work in the same way.

VS are indeed failing way behind now when it comes to WiFi pricing.
#963493 by murphyg
06 Mar 2024, 12:40
mitchja wrote:DL now offer full free WiFi for all SkyMiles members so it's worth signing up to join SkyMiles even if like me, you always add your VS Flying Club account to all DL bookings.

To initiate the free on-board WiFi on any DL flight, you log-in to your SkyMiles account an doff you go. I suspect the BA free messaging system will work in the same way.

VS are indeed failing way behind now when it comes to WiFi pricing.

And it's good WiFi! Used it on some domestic flights a couple of weeks ago. Was able to do all my usual browsing etc, and the girl next to me was streaming. Even a good few years ago DL had free messaging. VS have increased the price instead. It's annoying because I *want* to be loyal, but they're making it harder. Occurred to me that I'll mainly miss Gold because of the Delta benefits on rare domestic US trips.
#963494 by mitchja
06 Mar 2024, 12:53
The flip side of the coin though is there is a cost factor here for the airlines.

Domestic US flight WiFi works differently to the satellite based WiFi system VS (and BA as well as US carries on their TATL flights) have to use.

The domestic US system works similar to mobile phone networks with masts/towers dotted around the US that point upwards transmitting / receiving data to/from the A/C. This system is generally cheaper to roll out and operate hence why airlines like DL can offer this either discounted or even free.

The satellite WiFi system works by transmitting the data via an in-orbit satellite hence why this system generally offers slower data connection speeds though covers pretty much all of the planet regardless of where the A/C is flying. The ground to air system stops working when over oceans or areas with no masts/tower coverage.

Satellite based WiFi systems will always be much more expensive to operate.
Virgin Atlantic