#159791 by PVGSLF
13 Feb 2007, 09:53
You lot obviously don't travel with excess luggage very often. I'd say it was a bargain. Typically my company allows us 40Kg Excess baggage over and above the allowance for the class we are flying in when we mobilise on an assignment.
My assignments have so far been only been to the far east where excess baggage charges are in the order of £30 per KG.

I usually end up paying @£1200 plus Y ticket to transport 63kgs of luggage.
Under the new rules this would be 1 'free' case, plus two paid for at £240 each. So for the bargain price of £480 I'd actually be able to transport 6kgs more than I've previously had for £1200.

The sad thing is, on the way out my case is full of mens toiletries which are next to impossible to buy in the far east, and on the way back typically full of cheap CD's and consumer electronics, which actually makes them far less than cheap.
#159797 by Scrooge
13 Feb 2007, 10:38
Simon, while I agree for you this is a good situation for most it will be a killer, families as others have noted may be hit harder than most, doesn't this kind off push them more towards the charter airlines ?

Just as a side note, next month I have two flights booked that have luggage limits of 25 lbs including carry on !