#169699 by tallprawn
27 Apr 2007, 16:08
Either a price increase from themselves or marketing campaign to highlight what BA have done seems to be the usual response from VS. :D

My money is on a price increase this time..[:#]
#169703 by FamilyMan
27 Apr 2007, 16:32
Personally I cannot understand this. The article makes the point that the price of oil is still lower than last summer and, correct me if I'm wrong, I didn't see anyone lowering the surcharge when the price went down in the Autumn so the surcharge was too high in the winter and now they are just adding more on top.

When will this surcharge nonsense stop and airlines start factoring in the real cost of fuel rather than the price from 3 years ago??

Phil
#169711 by Neil
27 Apr 2007, 17:17
Apparently BA did reduce their Fuel Surcharge by £5 in January for LH flights under 9 hours - but as with any industry that has implemented Fuel Surcharges in the past 3/4 years, they still will tell you that the cost of fuel now is still more than when the surcharges we first introduced, even after the recent reductions in the cost, so the surcharge is just.
#169717 by FamilyMan
27 Apr 2007, 18:28
Originally posted by Attitude23
but as with any industry that has implemented Fuel Surcharges in the past 3/4 years, they still will tell you that the cost of fuel now is still more than when the surcharges we first introduced, even after the recent reductions in the cost, so the surcharge is just.

[FridayRant]
I appreciate that fuel has gone up but surely a surcharge implies that it is an extra amount in addition to the fare that was set prior to the factor being known about. The idea that airlines can still point to fuel charges from years ago and apply a surcharge based on the fact that prices are higher than then seem ludicrous. When does a price become normal?
I know we've had this discussion before but the additional taxes and fees on tickets is getting silly - sure taxes I can understand but some things need to be included in the price - basically if you have no option but to pay it then it should be in the fare.
[/FridayRant]
[|)]

Phil FM
#169763 by taurus
27 Apr 2007, 21:37

[FridayRant]
I appreciate that fuel has gone up but surely a surcharge implies that it is an extra amount in addition to the fare that was set prior to the factor being known about. The idea that airlines can still point to fuel charges from years ago and apply a surcharge based on the fact that prices are higher than then seem ludicrous. When does a price become normal?
I know we've had this discussion before but the additional taxes and fees on tickets is getting silly - sure taxes I can understand but some things need to be included in the price - basically if you have no option but to pay it then it should be in the fare.
[/FridayRant]

Phil FM

I totally agree. Every business in the country has had to deal with increased energy costs. Why is the airline industry the only one which seems to get away with adding in an extra fee?

Mike
#169843 by Neil
28 Apr 2007, 16:18
Originally posted by taurus

[FridayRant]
[/FridayRant]

Phil FM

I totally agree. Every business in the country has had to deal with increased energy costs. Why is the airline industry the only one which seems to get away with adding in an extra fee?

Mike

The Airline industry certainly isn't the only industry adding fuel surcharges, road haulage rates are constantly run with surcharges in place and we are still pay bunker surcharges on all our of shipments that arrive into the UK.

I am certainly not saying the charges are correct, but there is some justification for them, you only have to look at the petrol station prices to see the rise or fall (or lack of it) in the price of diesel/petrol.
#169848 by mitchja
28 Apr 2007, 17:43
Originally posted by taurus

Mike

The company I work for does charge our customers an 'energy surcharge' on all orders they place, pure and simply because our raw material suppliers and haulier companies do the same to us, so as Neil mentioned, it's not just the airline industry that's doing this.

Regards
#169850 by Darren Wheeler
28 Apr 2007, 17:57
and to be fair, they do announce it publicly and don't back-date it.
Virgin Atlantic