#174035 by thejohn
08 Jun 2007, 17:28
fingers crossed VS dont follow suit but i wont hold my breath as it think they will not be able to hold out as the price of fuel is creeping up at the pumps for petrol and diesel as must be for VS to buy JetA1fuel. in Feb we had m+m flights to LAS and of the £354 it cost VS only got £150 the rest was taxes airport fees plus fuel surcharge so there cant be much of a profit margin in that to be able to absorb the increases,although i was told many years ago that if a Aircraft is frieghted up with cargo the PAX are pure profit. enjoy your trip to the east coast and hope the t'other half has a great birthday in NYC
#174068 by catsilversword
09 Jun 2007, 09:47
Apparently, the price of a barrel of oil is down $10 on this time last year. Pure profiteering again, but isn't that what we've come to expect???
#174073 by Stevieboy
09 Jun 2007, 11:00
Apparently, the price of a barrel of oil is down $10 on this time last year. Pure profiteering again, but isn't that what we've come to expect???

100% correct claire, I picked a gentleman up in my Cab from the Shell building a couple of weeks ago. I was moaning (in true cabbie fashion) about diesel being almost £1 per litre again. He explaind that a barrel had risen to $70 which still was $10 less than last July.
He also told me that it had dropped as low as $52 in January. Strangely I never saw the fuel surcharge dropping over this period [:?];)
#174077 by jaguarpig
09 Jun 2007, 12:12
and VS charged us £80 last week for Browns tax hike where as BA swallowed the cost on my existing bookings, lifes a bitch:D
#174345 by catsilversword
11 Jun 2007, 06:39
Originally posted by Stevieboy

100% correct claire, I picked a gentleman up in my Cab from the Shell building a couple of weeks ago. I was moaning (in true cabbie fashion) about diesel being almost £1 per litre again. He explaind that a barrel had risen to $70 which still was $10 less than last July.
He also told me that it had dropped as low as $52 in January. Strangely I never saw the fuel surcharge dropping over this period [:?];)

Too right, surcharges never go any other way than up. Petrol has an annoying habit of moving in the same direction.....
#179268 by slinky09
25 Jul 2007, 16:00
I just came across this airline fuel price monitor:

http://www.iata.org/whatwedo/economics/ ... /index.htm

Though not jumping to conclusions on the costs transferred to passenger ... after all, BA may have hedged poorly this time around and had to hike the charge as a result of that. There are probably more direct influencers on the actual cost to an airline too.
#179269 by Scrooge
25 Jul 2007, 16:07
The one thing I did get from that very nice link is that the price is lower than last year..but for some strange reason VS as not lowered it's surcharge.
#179271 by Neil
25 Jul 2007, 16:53
Originally posted by Scrooge
The one thing I did get from that very nice link is that the price is lower than last year..but for some strange reason VS as not lowered it's surcharge.

What a shock, without question fuel is cheaper now than it was 12months ago but we certainly have not seen it reflected at the petrol stations, nor as you say have the airlines done the right thing and reduced their surcharges. No doubt when the fuel does go up again everybody will be moaning and putting "necessary" increases onto prices again - the fuel surcharge issue is defiantly one where the customer loses out every time.
Virgin Atlantic