#180332 by ukcobra
06 Aug 2007, 12:50
I am flying LHR to JFK on Thursday in Club, on BA113, any idea if this plane has the new seats ?

Mark
#180333 by HighFlyer
06 Aug 2007, 13:35
Originally posted by ukcobra
I am flying LHR to JFK on Thursday in Club, on BA113, any idea if this plane has the new seats ?

From the BA website;

You can currently experience the new Club World cabin on board the majority of aircraft on the Heathrow to New York (JFK) route, excluding flight BA 173. We anticipate the roll out to be completed by the end of 2008.

There is a thread on FlyerTalk that lists each route and whether it flew with NGCW (or not). For June, BA113 has a very high percentage of flights with NGCW. I think only two flights operated with the older seat.

So, i'd say it was very, very likely.

Thanks,
Sarah
#180352 by ukcobra
06 Aug 2007, 16:51
Thanks Sarah.

Having not sat in an old CW seat, I do not have a comparison to make, other than a VS UC to BA NCW.
#180370 by Guest
06 Aug 2007, 21:36
I Have used the "new" club seat a few times now. I like the new seat divider. I like the way the armrests decend. I like the way that the seat can convert from a sit up and beg to a fully flat bed - and many positiond in between (unlike the uncomfortable Virgin seat I have had to endure) but I strongly dislike the foot stool. Clumsy at best and every flight I have been on it has collapsed and become u/s. OK I have not used Virgin much lately, but have now booked 8 U/C flights until end Dec, the Virgin seat may not be up to much but the bed is soooooo comfortable compared to the competition. If I cant do BA FIRST (well I pay for BA FIRST but my business wont!) then it has to be Virgin U/C.
Ian x
#180846 by ukcobra
10 Aug 2007, 22:46
Had the New Club World seat and AVOD, and I must say the flat bed was much more comfortable than the UC one. Overall, the CW experience exceeded my expectations. The food, service and seat was very good. Not so good was the Lounge (T4 Gate 10) as it is no where near as good as Virgin's T3 one. Not forgetting the muppet who loaded the cargo bins incorrectly which meant we had to go back to a stand and get them adjusted, and then wait for 2 tonnes of fuel, and then wait for a tug.

We landed at JFK 3 hours later than scheduled.
#180876 by jaguarpig
11 Aug 2007, 11:51
Not so good was the Lounge (T4 Gate 10)

The gate 1 terraces at T4 is the better option, good food with a real chef cooking it and a lot less crowded.
#180887 by onionz
11 Aug 2007, 16:37
Totally agree - the "Gate One lounge" isn't even called a Terraces and I think it is supposed to indicate the likely set up in T5. Tried both lounges on my recent Dubai trip and the Gate 10 lounge got quite crowded.
#180911 by ukcobra
12 Aug 2007, 00:15
I did n't know there were two until check in, asked which the agent liked better, she said the one by Gate 10 !

Never mind. Thanks for the advice.
#180937 by Howard Long
12 Aug 2007, 18:46
Originally posted by jaguarpig
This bloody seat selection only being available at OLCI 24 hours out is rubbish.

With the right bit of plastic they all magically open up before OLCI ;)

LOL! I used to wonder what all the fuss was about regarding preallocation of seats until a TA failed to put in my FF number last week. I looked online for the booking and whadya mean I can't choose my seat? ;-) Then automagically after keying in those special digits the world opened up to my instant joy.

I guess when you've had status for some time you forget some of the perks.

Howard
#180961 by NS
12 Aug 2007, 23:17
I like the UCS duvet & 'bedsheet' as it makes for a bed like sleeping experience [|)] [y]

How does the latest CW incarnation compare on this front? What's the blanket like? And what is the seat fabric like?
#181268 by ukcobra
16 Aug 2007, 13:07
So, it is my opinion that the BA NCW seat is a much better bed than the Virgin one. For a start it is softer, I find Virgin's bed base too hard and uncomfortable.

The food on the outbound flight was very good, on the way back the food at the JFK lounge was average.

What would be the winner would be BA's seat, Virgin's bedsheet and BA's blanket and Virgin's sleepsuit.

The seat fabric is fine, but I don't like the idea of sleeping on someone else's bed. Although your head is typically on a pillow, on top of a removeable head rest sheet. The blanket is a bit like a bed throw, it's nothing like the material used in Virgin Y or PE, and is ok to the touch.

It was very hot on the way back (upstairs 63A), but by the time I woke up it was just right.

The flight back from New York was 5 Hrs and 55 Mns, and I am sure I got at least 4 hrs 20 mins of sleep, with no waking up inbetween. The service from the Cabin Crew both ways was very good, the delays on the outbound and inbound were not. In all, 3 hr delay outbound, 1 hour delay inbound.

Normally I really struggle to stay awake during the day I get back, but not this time. From the East Coast it's normally an early night to catch up, not this time.

Very impressed with BA NCW. However, I will remain loyal to Virgin, their attitude, lounges and service onboard just has the edge.
#181279 by NS
16 Aug 2007, 16:52
Originally posted by ukcobra
the BA NCW seat is a much better bed than the Virgin one.

Interesting! Not having experienced the latest generation of the BA seat I can't comment, but the second generation flat seat (in bed mode) I found quite uncomfortable...[:(]
#181328 by ukcobra
17 Aug 2007, 00:05
Forgot to mention the luggage situation. At JFK they both arrived together fairly quickly. At LHR T4, my bag was the first off, way before any other, before those marked RUSH and a good 15 minutes before any other Club World bag. My Wife's case arrived around 30 minutes after mine.

I have no idea why mine received such good treatment, perhaps it was the Gold Virgin FC tag ?

Mark
Virgin Atlantic