#20364 by v8gaz
23 Jul 2007, 14:53
I was in LHR last weekend trying to check in with the family after a nice weekend in Windsor (sorry we didn't make the RBS!). Checked in online, as normal, then arrived at T1 to collect the passes from the machine. Loads of empty machines, got our passes quickly and easliy. Then the fun begins.

We had a case to drop off at the bag drop - now not called the 'fast bag drop' I notice, as I was about to find out.

Got in the queue for the bag drop, noting that all desks are now labeled 'bag drop' desks. Took an HOUR to get to a desk, due to everyone other than us ignoring the machines and simply checking in at the bag drop. Combine that with people marching up to the front of the queue thinking that it was a fast bag drop, spending 10 mins argueing with the desk assistant, then leaving, I was rather angry by the time we got to a desk. Luckily I leave plenty of time at the airport to sink a few, as I am a nervous flier in turbulance, and as we drove throug a thunderstorm to get to LHR, I was in severe need of a relaxing G&T. However, this was eating into my drinking time, and how.

So, imagine my surprise when 2 days later I get an email from BA asking me to complete a survey on my expereince of flying with BA - with pleasure! [}:)]

Summary is - if you're flying hand luggage, it's great. If you're checking in luggage, prepare for a wait. [:(]
#178995 by mitchja
23 Jul 2007, 16:43
I find checking in with both BA and BMI at LHR T1 to be a complete nightmare every time without fail.

The check-in area is a complete mess for both airlines. For BMI you have to physically walk though the check-in desk area to reach the self service machines!! Priority check-in/bag drop for BMI is a complete joke as there's never more than 2 agents checking in all *G & business class pax for both domestic and international [:(!]

I really do hate LHR T1 domestic check-in and it never fails in winding me up.

I think the problem is there's no segregration for domestic and international check-in any more which just causes confusion and chaos. LGW is exactly the same now they have integrated both domestic and international check-in.

Regards
#178999 by McCoy
23 Jul 2007, 18:10
Over the last 12 months, I have deliberately designed my travel plans to avoid LHR T1 if at all possible. It really is a miserable place. I would rather use BHX and take a train, than use T1. With BMI I can at least use the lounge - providied the queue for security isn't mammoth like my last experience - but if not BMI, I just won't use T1 now.

Question - I haven't been following the development of T5... does BA plan to move domestic across to T5, or will I never ever use BA again, when flying to LHR?
#179000 by mitchja
23 Jul 2007, 18:15
Indeed most (if not all) BA domestics are moving to T5 from day 1 of T5 opening. MAN flights are certainly planned to land at T5 from the opening day of T5.

Regards
#179073 by v8gaz
24 Jul 2007, 09:35
I'd love not to use it, but one of my client co's is on Bath Road, and it's the easiest way to get there.
#179077 by honey lamb
24 Jul 2007, 10:44
Originally posted by mitchja
I find checking in with both BA and BMI at LHR T1 to be a complete nightmare every time without fail.

The check-in area is a complete mess for both airlines. For BMI you have to physically walk though the check-in desk area to reach the self service machines!! Priority check-in/bag drop for BMI is a complete joke as there's never more than 2 agents checking in all *G & business class pax for both domestic and international [:(!]

I really do hate LHR T1 domestic check-in and it never fails in winding me up.

I think the problem is there's no segregration for domestic and international check-in any more which just causes confusion and chaos. LGW is exactly the same now they have integrated both domestic and international check-in.

Regards

It's a similar experience with EI in T1. I always use the kiosk to check in and last time tried to go to the bag drop desk only to be told to go to the back of the queue. There was only one line for both check-in and bag drop. Kinda defeats the object of self-service check-in, doesn't it?
#179078 by Guest
24 Jul 2007, 10:48
If you are travelling Club (Europe or World) or First or have a silver, gold or premier card there is a premium checkin area in the terminal which is a bit difficult to find but well worth it - even has its own security lanes which makes for a very fast experience. Cant remember the Zone number buts it is to the far right as you enter the terminal, along a passage to a sort of annex.
Hope this helps.
Regards,
Ian
#179084 by onionz
24 Jul 2007, 11:24
It's Zone R and the regulars on the BA board at FT rave about it.
#179085 by Guest
24 Jul 2007, 11:27
Thanks Jason - and I have to agree as I use it very regulary flying to LAX and have never had to stand in line once at either checkin in, bag drop or security.
Virgin Atlantic