#763844 by inkiboo
12 Jan 2011, 13:38
As I've renewed my Gold early, I thought I would give BA a go for a flight to LAX in Feb.

Flying Club but may spunk some miles to upgrade. Any comments on the dark side? I've never used the Lounge at T5 so not sure what to expect.
#763848 by eejp1007
12 Jan 2011, 13:55
I find Lounge at T5 is like the lobby of a big hotel. It is stylish and well maintained but a little impersonal. Champagne is available if you ask for it but they only have cava out in the fridges.
Food is OK, I have only ever been in at breakfast time though so don't know what the lunch offering will be if you get the later flight. Good selection of papers and magazines.

Not a patch on the LHR Clubhouse though as everyone on here will tell you!
#763851 by rich1664
12 Jan 2011, 14:15
eejp1007 wrote:I find Lounge at T5 is like the lobby of a big hotel. It is stylish and well maintained but a little impersonal. Champagne is available if you ask for it but they only have cava out in the fridges.
Food is OK, I have only ever been in at breakfast time though so don't know what the lunch offering will be if you get the later flight. Good selection of papers and magazines.

Not a patch on the LHR Clubhouse though as everyone on here will tell you!

I think you've summed it up well.

I was there for the lunch service - there was rice, pasta, with pasta sauces or curry sauces. There is also quite a good salad bar and sandwiches.

I did also see some people eating ice cream but didn't spot where they were kept!
#763905 by MrT
12 Jan 2011, 21:34
I like Galleries lounge at T5, I see that the BA lounge at IAD has just been added to Priority Pass, would love one of the T5 lounges to be added too...! Fingers crossed, not sure it will happen though.
#763918 by locutus
13 Jan 2011, 00:46
The lounges are ok for nibbles, but head to Plane Food for a nice meal before the flight. Try out both T5A lounges and if you're flight is from T5B, head over there and try the lounge there too.
#763924 by jaguarpig
13 Jan 2011, 10:58
Don't worry about strikes WW has said BA will operate all Long hauls and the majority of short haul with full service in the event of another walk out.They have trained sufficient numbers to cover for the arse holes who are intent on destroying the hand that feeds them.

I would never pay at Plane food with access to the BA lounges. Food is perfectly fine only ever had a quick squint at the galleries in T5 as have always had access to the CCR or F lounge while they have been operating.The food in the T5B galleries is exactly the same as the T5 F lounge, good salads, cold cuts, fish pie, mini burgers, mini pies, usually a stew and veggie curry.The staff manning the doors are all pig ignorant and unfortunately a lot of the crew are going that way, a few stars still shine.If you get access to the T5 arrivals lounge be prepared to witness the worst customer facing front desk staff in any service industry in the world,the serving staff are fine y)
#763940 by Guest
13 Jan 2011, 15:54
jaguarpig wrote:The staff manning the doors are all pig ignorant and unfortunately a lot of the crew are going that way, a few stars still shine.If you get access to the T5 arrivals lounge be prepared to witness the worst customer facing front desk staff in any service industry in the world,the serving staff are fine y)

Even worse than the rude staff at the podiums LHR CH ? ?|

Lately they have gone from bad to terrible - in line with most of the invisibale serving staff inside I am afriad. BA front of house staff are no better but certainly no worse than any VH staff at LHR IME these days. v(
#763947 by Guest
13 Jan 2011, 16:15
inkiboo wrote:What I find totally insane is despite flying Club, they still charge for seat selection!

Crazy.

Indeed - for many Club fairs that is true inless you are a Silver/Gold/Prem EC Member then you can choose. As it is relativley simple to become a Silver when travelling Club World, I guess it is seen by BA as some type of incentive to attain it.
#763958 by Hamster
13 Jan 2011, 17:08
hackneyguy wrote:

Everyone has different experiences, I have never had anything short of completely enthusiastic staff the the LHR Clubhouse. The only bad VS staff experience I have had was the check in assistant in the UCW, and it has put me off using it ever again, will check in downstairs from now on.

So I'm sure the staff at BA could be great to one pax but then miserable to the next. So like anything, yes listen to other peoples opinions but I would say, don't let them get in the way of forming your own.
#763962 by rich1664
13 Jan 2011, 18:13
hackneyguy wrote:

Am very surprised at that as every time I went into the CH last year (seven times) I was welcomed, asked if I knew where everything was etc.

At T5 lounge, I was completely ignored.
#763963 by Sunshine
13 Jan 2011, 18:52
I always thought the BA front desk at T5 were just rude as I was a blue nobody but I travelled with Mr Sunshine who is BA Gold last year and they were just as unwelcoming to him too :0

I was also given a very unfriendly welcome when last using the LHR CH and wasn't very impressed with the the hairdressers attitude or the drinks servers either.

However the staff at the Gatwick BA lounge are always very friendly as of course are the Virgin CH greeters ^)

Sunshine 8D
#763966 by Guest
13 Jan 2011, 19:57
rich1664 wrote:
hackneyguy wrote:

Am very surprised at that as every time I went into the CH last year (seven times) I was welcomed, asked if I knew where everything was etc.

At T5 lounge, I was completely ignored.

Ahhr not very often then. Fot 18months I was using it atleast 5 times a month - often twice a week and my experience was although they knew me they me they kept me waiting whilst they took monies from those pating for entrance (as reported at the time in my TRs). Not good enough.

However the CH Managers, Bar Staff and indeed hairdressers were, and still are, as charming as ever although I only use it now a couple of times or so a month know me, my tipple and all the rest which I expect they should>
#768841 by inkiboo
24 Feb 2011, 15:30
Just arrived in LAX and don't think I will be flying Club again unless there is no other option.

As a seat, it is probably better than Upper Class. As a bed, it's utter rubbish. The plastic divider is tacky and having to walk over people's legs to get out is just laughable.

Staff were very attentive though.
Virgin Atlantic