#769427 by duggy83
02 Mar 2011, 11:51
For anyone that may be interested, next monday (7th march) at 9pm, is a new series of Air Crash Investigation starting on National Geographic channel, 1st episode is looking into flight BA38 that landed short of the runway at heathrow a couple of years back!
#769433 by Mandy Hall
02 Mar 2011, 12:21
Looking forward to watching it, Alex... We took off from LHR just before the incident happened.

We got to IAD and into the people mover and everyone switched their phones on and were talking about the crash at Heathrow...
#769507 by tontybear
02 Mar 2011, 18:53
I wonder if they will include one of the initial thoughs of the cause was that Gordon Brown's motorcade was driving past at the same time and all the extra radio traffice from the security detail etc caused a problem with the electrical systems.
#769585 by Roxy-Popsy
03 Mar 2011, 12:33
Mattyp

I've just wasted an hour listening to that short recording & then LOADS of other links to ATC recordings.

I was supposed to be busy. ;)

I'm not going to follow a V-Flyer link ever again.......until the next time ):

R-P
#769589 by mattyp
03 Mar 2011, 12:44
I've just wasted an hour listening to that short recording & then LOADS of other links to ATC recordings.

I was supposed to be busy.

The joys of youtube! Hope this afternon is more productive for you! ):

Matt
#769592 by trafficpilot
03 Mar 2011, 13:22
Hi everyone!

Have been lurking here for longer than I dare admit so thought it was time to register and say hello:)

I'm a Pilot (not for Virgin - I fly little jets :) ) and a Virgin "virgin" until September when I fly to NY UC hence my original reason for checking out this website. I especially love reading your Trip Reports (I'll make sure to provide some as well).

I've been following the BA38 incident very closely for professional reasons so thought you may be interested in the official accident report from the AAIB investigation that took place. Some of you may have read it but for those that haven't here's a link:

http://www.aaib.gov.uk/sites/aaib/publi ... ctions.cfm

It will be interesting to see how closely the TV programme covers the official findings.

The Captain and First Officer on BA38 displayed supreme airmanship and are a credit to the industry. And as mattyp mentioned the controller at Heathrow that day certainly earned his pay!

Cheers

Adam
#769646 by Roxy-Popsy
03 Mar 2011, 22:02
Hi trafficpilot

First of all welcome to V-Flyer :D

Secondly, thank you for the report, very interseting.

I recorded the programme on Beatmax :| last night & have yet to watch it.

TTFN R-P
#769651 by honey lamb
03 Mar 2011, 22:13
Roxy-Popsy wrote:Hi trafficpilot

First of all welcome to V-Flyer :D

Secondly, thank you for the report, very interseting.

I recorded the programme on Beatmax :| last night & have yet to watch it.

TTFN R-P

You'll have a difficulty in watching it - it's not on till next Monday :w
#770846 by inkiboo
11 Mar 2011, 02:05
Brings back memories; I was due to be travelling to Beijing on the return leg that very day. Arriving at the airport I pulled my camera out, submitted the photo to our picture desk and got the front page of BBC News, Sky and a few other sites/papers.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/inkiboo/2205069572/

Made it to Beijing only 3 hours late (although BA did cancel their entire short haul operation that day)
#770858 by Scrooge
11 Mar 2011, 06:49
As I sit here, I have to wonder what it's like to be in a crash like that, we all take flying for granted so much, in my life I have flown way over a million miles, I've had two go arounds and one server turbulence.

A cousin on my wife's side has actually been in two crashes, he was in the business jet over Brazil that hit a HOL 738 and he was on US 1594, actually he was the last person off that plane.

We have a family wedding coming up, I must corner him.
#770927 by Concorde RIP
11 Mar 2011, 12:41
The whole BA38 thing has many, many dimensions.

Not least, the human story surrounding the Captain - I've followed this in depth since the day it happened, and it's a salutary tale.

I wonder just how much, and how accurately, that side of events will be portrayed.
Virgin Atlantic