#794744 by Npe81
02 Nov 2011, 02:33
I always fly Virgin, I love the brand but sometimes feel a little duped as the adverts make it all look so much better than reality. And with flying club, availability of reward seats makes it feel like a library that only orders in 1 copy of a good book... So this time I flew with BA from Heathrow to LAS.

Outbound in PE or WT+. the airport experience is nowhere near as good as VA but T5 sort of made up for this but the cabin was as good if not better than the Gatwick fleet. Food good, plenty of free drink and REALLY NICE Cain crew.

Back was offered an upgrade to Club for £399 which I took. The service was awesome upstairs in 62a on the 744. The flight csd askd me if I had joined their exec club and explained the from November 16th I can upgrade for 20000 miles to the USA phoned to check it out today and plenty of availability and that is from any fare class.

One has to wonder', does BA have the momentum??

Seriously thinking of crossing the floor, be interested in other views!!
#794752 by Petmadness
02 Nov 2011, 08:47
Using BA twice this year as VS didn't fly the routes I needed v( Our first trip in April to Dallas in economy was pretty good and our next is to Houston for New Year. I also love the Virgin brand and have 3 flights booked with VS :D , starting with HKG next week ^)
So with BA battling back I would love to see VS kick them into touch again ):
#794754 by locutus
02 Nov 2011, 09:02
The ability to upgrade a WT+ sale fare to CW with miles is one of the reasons I've shuffled over to BA. Price is a factor for me.
#794763 by Npe81
02 Nov 2011, 11:59
That's it for me too... My flight to LAS earned me 16000 miles'. Only need 20000 to upgrade from WT+ to CLUB their exec Cohn seems so much better... Need to decide as just took out st new Amex card and have 20000 miles coming my way!!!
#794764 by at240
02 Nov 2011, 12:06
locutus wrote:The ability to upgrade a WT+ sale fare to CW with miles is one of the reasons I've shuffled over to BA.

Yes, this is a significant advantage. Plus the MFU from WT+ to CW is relatively cheap (in terms of miles) and availability to the USA has been very good whenever I've looked.

Another complicating factor is that it is currently much easier, in my opinion, to get to BA Ag than VS Au, and the benefits are very nearly the same.

I'm not sure, though, that the momentum is with BA. The new VS Y offering looks quite good to me. Will await reports with interest.

And if it came down to a straight comparison between WT+ and PE I would (and do) opt for VS without hesitation, always.
#794766 by Alex V
02 Nov 2011, 12:59
If you fly 3 to 4 times a year long haul then its much cheaper to fly ba as you can mfu wt+ to cw as I have this year for about £1000-£1200 for the two of us and 40-50k points, compare that to upgrading from y to g with vs, the averages about £1600 and up plus 120,000 points, thats based on my last 10 flights.
So already between this year and next year I am £1600 better off, and always earn almost enough points making that flight to put to the next., as someone has already pointed out.
Cheers
alex
#794786 by Darren Wheeler
02 Nov 2011, 18:56
Based on my recent LHR-AMS-LHR sectors, BA have got a long way to go.

Surly, dis-interested crew
A Club Europe breakfast that looked like the dog had already tasted it. And rejected it.
A take-it-or-leave-it snack. 2 rocky robin bars. Fortunately they went into the emergency ration bag.

Just wondering how long before the BASSA gang decide to pick another fight.
#794788 by mitchja
02 Nov 2011, 19:05
Darren Wheeler wrote:Based on my recent LHR-AMS-LHR sectors, BA have got a long way to go.

Surly, dis-interested crew

Have to say exactly the same about my recent BA domestic MAN>LHR>MAN flights. Very surly staff both on board and on the ground. Chaos free-for-all boarding at T5, closed security at T5 and customer relations who blame everybody apart from BA to name a few things that hasn't changed my attitude one bit towards BA over the past 12 years.

I simply will not fly BA long-haul in any cabin.
#794836 by clarkeysntfc
03 Nov 2011, 13:12
My folks did a recent trip to the USA in BA's New First cabin and declared it 'fantastic' - also it cost them 150k miles plus an AMEX 2 for 1 voucher (plus about £800 tax/surcharge etc) which is terrific value given actual cash cost of the tickets.

The MFU from WT+ to Club for 10k miles is also very tempting.

However, we do the vast majority of our flying from LHR in PE and for that class Virgin wins by yards.
Virgin Atlantic