#856494 by Fuzzy14
04 Sep 2013, 14:58
Is 55 minutes long enough to change from a domestic flight to an international flight at Gatwick? (both North Terminal)

Been looking at flights and the following options came up:

0705 GLA 0835 LGW BA2953
or
0935 GLA 1100 LGW BA2957
then
1155 LGW 1615 TAM BA2167

(note these are 2014 flights so slightly different timings to this year)

I know the safe option is to take the 0705 flight then spend a couple of hours at Gatwick in the No.1 Lounge but it makes it a really long day when travelling with kids. I tweeted Gatwick Airport and they said it’s up to the airline. I tweeted BA and they said take the 0705 for peace of mind. So I phoned BA and they said it would be fine!

Checking flightstats, during the week the 0935 flight is consistently on time or arrives 15 minutes early (1.5 hours for a GLA-LGW flight is pretty generous anyway.) At the weekend the flight is consistently late, up to an hour in some cases. I will be travelling midweek.

I’m also assuming that if I do miss the flight then they’ll put me on the next available flight which is the 1350 to MCO, space permitting (which there will be as it’s out of season.) My other concern though is what will happen to the luggage if we just squeeze onto the connection.
#856504 by tontybear
04 Sep 2013, 15:49
Fuzzy14 wrote:
I’m also assuming that if I do miss the flight then they’ll put me on the next available flight which is the 1350 to MCO, space permitting (which there will be as it’s out of season.) My other concern though is what will happen to the luggage if we just squeeze onto the connection.

They are only obligated to put you on the next flight if your flights are all on the same ticket / PNR - book them separately then they don't have to do anything.

Even if they are they only have to get you to Tampa and not to MCO.

You really can't rely on the GLA flight being on time or early on a particular day and what happens if you are sat at the back and the plane is slow to empty and it's eating into your limited time?

Personally I would get the earlier flight if only for piece of mind and comfort especially if traveling with kids who may not co-operate with you on moving quickly ! (I'm assuming these are more toddler sized as you say you are flying out of season). I've done a 55 minute connection once myself but it was an anxious time I can tell you and I said never again would I plan for one like that!
#856510 by waatp
04 Sep 2013, 16:23
Personally, I wouldn't risk it if you are travelling with small people. If memory serves, you have three small ones? 55 minutes to "move" quickly isn't very long at all and if there is a toilet break needed, nappy change, one is sick etc ... puts a lot of pressure on you??

If it was me, I'd go for the earlier flight, book a lounge and enjoy a leisurely breakfast. Do appreciate what you are saying about the longer wait at Gatwick if you took the morning flight, but if it was delayed and you had to take the later flight to MCO, you would be waiting then too.

Is there any chance of you flying down the day before and staying overnight in the hotel? Again, you know your small people better than anyone, would that be an option or sheer chaos?!
#856511 by RyanJW
04 Sep 2013, 16:24
On my last trip I planned a 4 hour layover to get from LHR > JFK > DCA. I didn't want to be running around JFK stressed as I didn't book it all on one PNR and you just can't take into consideration security, baggage collection, check-in etc.

As it happens, I managed to make it within the hour to airside at Terminal 8 at JFK after landing so have a long wait.

On the way back, I had the same layover time from SFO > JFK however due to thunderstorm in the NYC area, we circled for an hour near the great lakes before doing the final run into the airport. All looked good when we took off from SFO.

With children, I can only imagine it being a long time to corral and organise through the different stages of a flight let alone transferring between flights.
#856516 by Fuzzy14
04 Sep 2013, 16:43
waatp wrote:Is there any chance of you flying down the day before and staying overnight in the hotel? Again, you know your small people better than anyone, would that be an option or sheer chaos?!

That's actually my preferred option but when I try to do it on the BA website it treats it as a stopover, charges me for each individual leg and the prices go from £2900 to £5200?!?! Must be doing something wrong...

Tonty, kids are 8, 6 and 2 but its out of your season as Scottish schools have different holidays so we can travel from MAN and LGW much cheaper (same in reverse for Scotland in August.)
#856517 by waatp
04 Sep 2013, 16:49
Fuzzy14 wrote:
waatp wrote:Is there any chance of you flying down the day before and staying overnight in the hotel? Again, you know your small people better than anyone, would that be an option or sheer chaos?!

That's actually my preferred option but when I try to do it on the BA website it treats it as a stopover, charges me for each individual leg and the prices go from £2900 to £5200?!?! Must be doing something wrong...

Whoa and ouch!

How on earth can they charge (almost) double?! Have you tried calling them and seeing what they suggest?

What is the price for individually booking the trip down to Gatwick and then the trip to MCO?
#856518 by Fuzzy14
04 Sep 2013, 16:57
waatp wrote:How on earth can they charge (almost) double?! Have you tried calling them and seeing what they suggest?

What is the price for individually booking the trip down to Gatwick and then the trip to MCO?

Definitely some operator error going on here... ?|

GLA-LGW-TPA is £295 per person each way (absolute bargain!)

Booked sepearately
GLA-LGW is £50 per person each way
LGW-TPA is £295 per person each way

So effectively with the through ticketing the Glasgow connections are free. If I booked separately it would cost an extra £50x5 total. Doing it with a stopover..., I've no idea what I've done to get that silly price! :|

Edit: £250 price is return.
I think we have a winner! For an extra £250 I'll definitely go down the night before, night in a hotel, use of the lounge.

And that also makes the VS price from LGW competitive... *rushes off to check proces*
Virgin Atlantic