#256797 by locutus
03 Nov 2008, 17:26
Just received an email from BMI...

In these tough times, we bring you some good news. With effect 1 November 2008, we'll be burning fuel surcharges on all our UK and European flights departing or arriving at London Heathrow.

Yes that's right - No fuel surcharge. None. Whatsoever. At all. And no extra charge for baggage, check-in, or pre-selecting your seat either.

Thread moved to BMI forum by mod.......Nick
#459038 by Neil
03 Nov 2008, 19:50
Hmmm, what a load of rubbish. This isn't them getting rid of the fuel surcharge, it is a just a fancy way of doing a sale.

*If* it was about reduction or removal of the surcharge, then why just flight ex LHR? Does fuel cost more ex MAN/LBA etc? And why just on UK/European flights, do they use different more expensive fuel on long haul flights?.

Shameful use of an important topic, especially when they should be very close to removing the surcharge[V]

Neil
#459039 by preiffer
03 Nov 2008, 19:58
Also, as some rather hawk-eyed FT members have noticed....

Fuel Surcharge DOWN by £5.
Base fare price UP by £3.

Ummm..... [:w][n]
#459041 by locutus
03 Nov 2008, 20:16
Originally posted by preiffer
Also, as some rather hawk-eyed FT members have noticed....

Fuel Surcharge DOWN by £5.
Base fare price UP by £3.

Ummm..... [:w][n]

I did wonder if the fares had actually come down. Guess that answers that one then!
#459074 by FamilyMan
04 Nov 2008, 09:27
I have to say in their defence though. Isn't this what people have been clamouring for - including the fuel in the cost of the ticket rather than the surcharge. Certainly if VS scrapped the surcharge and included it in the basic price I can't see anyone complaining - Think of the saving on reward flights.

Anyway 5-3 = 2 so there is still a saving. Surely tansparancy in prices is a good thing. I grant you they probably need to extend it to all flights and maybe change their language a bit but this is not a bad thing is it?

FM
#459075 by Neil
04 Nov 2008, 09:41
I know what you are saying, but if this was a true removal of the surcharge it would be from all destinations, and on all routes. They are just dressing it up as a removal to make them look like they are trying to help when all they are doing is a sale on ex LHR to UK/Europe flights.

The other point is, they should actually be removing the surcharge now anyway, the cost of fuel is a good 20/25% less than it was in the summer and the airlines are being very poor at passing this on. So whilst I agree I would rather see a surcharge, if necessary, as part of the ticket cost, what BMI are doing by claiming they are removing it, unlike other airlines, is just wrong.

Neil
#459082 by FamilyMan
04 Nov 2008, 11:10
As I said - I agree the way they dressed it up is wrong and that they have not done it on all routes but the actual move is a 'small' step in the right direction.

Unfortunately fuel surcharges have been around for quite a while now and there is no way they only reflect short-term fluctuations. I think fuel would have to fall to virtually zero before airlines scrap them because let's face it they cover more than just the exra cost of the fuel.

FM
Virgin Atlantic