#61287 by lilyjosh0
26 Apr 2005, 07:13
We had a great stay there. We really liked the atmosphere of the place. Staff were good and restaurants very good. Bomas (I think) does a lovely evening buffet - not cheap but well worth it. They also do a good breakfast or there is a fast food/ counter service place which can be handy with the kids. The pool area is great. I've seen a lot of moans about the Disney transport for the AKL but we preferred it to other Disney hotels because although you have to go everywhere by bus each bus only serves the AKL so we found it easy.

It was great to wake up each morning and see giraffes and zebras from your balcony - we were lucky as from our room we saw many animals every day and they were quite close. The only criticism I would have is that the rooms do seem a bit on the small side and they have dark furnishings which doesn't help. Overall we found that the best thing about the place was the calm, relaxing atmosphere which is just what you need after a day at the parks. We are due to go back next week to Disney and very nearly stayed at the AKL again but we wanted to try out the Grand Floridian - hope I'm not disappointed!
#61298 by David
26 Apr 2005, 09:25
We have stayed there once or twice and really enjoyed it. The hotel was designed by the same guy that did Wilderness Lodge (our fav) and you can see some of the same influences.

Regarding the transport issue - ... it is kinda out the way, but if you have a car then its not really a problem - it maybe seems to be a wee bit stuck out on its on.

The staff were superb when we were there, and the food was very good if maybe a little too themed. (could be a problem if you have anybody picky in the party)

Try and make sure you get a savannah room - just amazing waking up in the morning, sitting on the balcony with a coffee and having a giraffe stare at you !

We probably will go back, but Wilderness Lodge will always be our first choice ;)

regards

David
#62633 by wafren
09 May 2005, 00:41
we are going in July what room numbers where you floor etc

thanks
#62640 by David
09 May 2005, 09:11
Can't remember exactly, but room was on the ground floor but the furthest away you could get.

It must have been a 6 or 7 min walk to get to the lobby. The views of the animals more than made up for the effort.;)(try and make sure you get a savannah room if possible)

regards

David
#62702 by wafren
09 May 2005, 21:58
thanks! yes we have booked a savannah room, the innner circle on the 3rd floor seems to place to be, ill keep reading reports on DIS site.

thanks again
#89152 by toledoashley
31 Dec 2005, 23:41
Sorry, I was there a couple of weeks ago, rained the whole time I was there. Didn't like the hotel that much - it was OK.
#89167 by p17blo
01 Jan 2006, 11:02
You can hardly use a weather report as a view on the Hotel ;-), but I know how bad weather can ruin a holiday in FL, particularly if you have been waiting a long time.

I have heard good reports on all but the most basic Disney hotels. Personally I would prefer a Villa for the time. Disney hotels are generally good if you want to spend a lot of time in Disney but remember the costs soon rack up for the simplest things like food.

Have a good trip.

Paul
Virgin Atlantic