#136770 by preiffer
03 Sep 2006, 23:17
A bloke called Pete Shaw.

Although, in essence, I think most on here would now consider it more of a community than a site that's "owned by" someone.
#136784 by Pete
04 Sep 2006, 00:44
It's mine... all MINE! Er, ahem... yes, that would be me then. Why d'ya ask?
#136805 by Neil
04 Sep 2006, 08:53
Originally posted by pixuk

Does that mean you get to keep the huge profits the site makes all to yourself then;)[:w]

Neil:)
#136807 by Littlejohn
04 Sep 2006, 09:10
Pete owns and personnally developed all the IP that is v-flyer. So were it to make huge profits he would indeed be a wealthy man. However, it doesn't so he isn't.
#136822 by Bazz
04 Sep 2006, 10:32
Neil, recognising the spirit in which you ask the question, it would be nice if the site did make a profit - right now it doesn't cover its running costs and Pete is well into the red in terms of the funding he has put in over the years - and that is not counting his time.

We hope the site will become self funding in the near future and that we can continue to improve the resources and benefits provided to our members.

Barry
#136823 by VS045
04 Sep 2006, 10:39
Neil, recognising the spirit in which you ask the question, it would be nice if the site did make a profit - right now it doesn't cover its running costs and Pete is well into the red in terms of the funding he has put in over the years - and that is not counting his time.

We hope the site will become self funding in the near future and that we can continue to improve the resources and benefits provided to our members.

Barry

Wow, I never realised v-flyer was in the red, better get buying another membership kit methinks[:I]

VS.
#136824 by Neil
04 Sep 2006, 10:39
I hope so Bazz, the site is great, the people are great and I hope people do support it with thing like memberships etc (just upgraded mine :D) so that we can all keep benefiting from it[y].

#136832 by easygoingeezer
04 Sep 2006, 11:23

[oo][oo][oo][^][oo][oo][oo]

what more can we say;)
#136839 by Decker
04 Sep 2006, 11:39
Ermmmm Lamb? ;)
#136842 by VS045
04 Sep 2006, 11:46
Just ordered another kit[8D]

VS.
#136843 by Neil
04 Sep 2006, 11:49
Originally posted by VS045
Just ordered another kit[8D]

VS.

[^][^][y]
#136844 by VS045
04 Sep 2006, 11:51
Thanks, I never realised that v-flyer was losing money and now I feel like I've been taking advantage of the site staying as red when I have 1200+ posts.[:I]

VS.
#136856 by radar
04 Sep 2006, 12:29
OK, this is going to sound really cheesy:

I love this site! [oo] I actually spent 5 hours one (long) night going through all the pictures and a bit more. Almost becoming my second home....

Now the bit that might get me flamed: [:w]

I subscribe to a number of forums, magazines and the like. V-Flyer is by far the friendliest, most responsive that I belong to. I pay all these other sites/mags, but I get more out of/spend longer on V-Flyer. So I would be more than happy to commit to a regular subscription. IMHO, the membership kit will never cover the costs, as they are one-offs, pretty much.

Pete, if you can find a way of offering a subscription service that won't have HMRC on your back, or add to any other stress you probably already suffer, count me in. DD best for me, but Paypal at a stretch.

Andrew

PS - I asked before about the book - if I can do anything to help it along, so V-Flyer can raise more money, let me know!
#136862 by Pete
04 Sep 2006, 12:39
Hi Andrew,

Well, without letting too much of the cat's tail out of the bag, we are looking at a number of options for the future growth of V-Flyer, including a new (more reliable) server, new design, new features, and yes, subscriptions amongst other things. Once we've managed to thrash out the details, we'll be in a position to release more definate info.

As for HMRC, well, regardless of the model, it still has to be declared anyway. As they say, there are only two certainties in life - death and the inland revenue.

Pete
#136863 by Neil
04 Sep 2006, 12:40
Understand what you are saying Radar, although maybe not totally agree with all your suggestion [:I] why not just donate to VF through the link on the top of the main forum screen if you would like to help with the running costs? Of course this is totally your choice but just an idea if you really wanted to give more cash to VF[y]
#136871 by RichardMannion
04 Sep 2006, 13:09
And yes I am working on the third version of the V-Book, buying a house got in the way!

New version content so far:

Denied Boarding Compensation and the EU guidelines
Select Vouchers (how, where and when)
Section on the changes to the Flyign CLub earlier in the year
Simplified destination guide to give a snapshot of miles earned, number of miles needed for a reward etc...
Updated FAQ
Updated schedules
Updated Fare Class Guide
Updated guide to RTW tickets

Thanks,
Richard
#136896 by Scorpio
04 Sep 2006, 15:08
Hi Andrew,

Well, without letting too much of the cat's tail out of the bag, we are looking at a number of options for the future growth of V-Flyer, including a new (more reliable) server, new design, new features, and yes, subscriptions amongst other things. Once we've managed to thrash out the details, we'll be in a position to release more definate info.

Looking forward to hearing about the future growth of the V-Flyer website Pete. Long may this site continue[y]
#136898 by Neil
04 Sep 2006, 15:13
I wonder how many new/upgrades of memembership might come because of this thread! A couple of changes already I have noted[y][y] The more the merrier of course, guess its always good to give a gentle reminder;)

#136901 by Scorpio
04 Sep 2006, 15:21
Well i have just donated some extra needed cash to Pete for the upkeep of this wonderful site.

It will be worth seeing howe many upgrades /new membership is achieved as a result of this thread.

This is the best site ever!
#136929 by VS045
04 Sep 2006, 17:17
Well I ordered mine earlier today because of this thread and if I had known v-f was not self-financing I would have done so a lot sooner.[:I] BTW, what running costs are associated with the site?

How does everyone like my new black?;)[}:)][:p] (thanks Pete[y])

VS.
#136936 by JAT74L
04 Sep 2006, 17:35
Well done to all who have splashed some cash!

I think the physical running costs are mostly down to the server provision. But just think of all the time Pete gives for free managing the whole thing.

It's a great place to be and long may it continue - let's get behind it financially as it's very unfair to expect Pete to shoulder the burden.

Regards

John
#136938 by Nottingham Nick
04 Sep 2006, 17:53
Originally posted by VS045
BTW, what running costs are associated with the site?

Many thanks to all who have put their hands in their pockets.

As John has said, the main cost of running the site is the server costs. There is some irony that the more popular the site becomes, Pete gets hit with 'excess traffic charges' [:(!]

The whole server issue is in the process of being addressed.

We all agree it is wrong that Pete is out of pocket, the income from the membership helps, there is a small amount of revenue from advertising and we try to help him out with raffles at the social events. All of this money is ploughed back into site.

We are hoping that the site will be around for a long time to come and will continue to try and build it up - both on line, and socially.

IMHO, V-Flyers are a great crowd and - if you haven't joined us on a social event... watch this space, there a more planned. [8D];)[}:)]

Nick
#137016 by VS-EWR
04 Sep 2006, 23:05
Originally posted by Nottingham Nick

IMHO, V-Flyers are a great crowd and - if you haven't joined us on a social event... watch this space, there a more planned. [8D];)[}:)]

Nick

I wish one of them would be near me so I can finally go to one. [:(]
Virgin Atlantic