#14992 by Neil
10 Sep 2006, 18:21
As not the greatest speller in the world, the sites spell checker does help me not make a to big a fool of myself with some bad spelling, but would it be possible for it to give you the correct way of speller rather than just telling you which words are wrong? (kind of like Word or Outlook does).

Just an idea as I would personally find it useful, although I guess its not too easy to implement, but if you don't ask you don't get.

Neil:)
#138308 by PVGSLF
11 Sep 2006, 08:14
Look at it as an education.[|:)]

If it told you it was spelt wrong and then told you the correct way, you would never learn would you?

However, if it forces you to go and get a "Dictionary" (remember those? ;)) and look up the word, you will spell it right next time. Saving the planet in the process through not using that extra picoWatt of electricity to drive the computers processor to tell you that you spelt that word wrong AGAIN![V]

Parent-esque rant over!
#138319 by preiffer
11 Sep 2006, 09:12
Problem solved ;)

It even suggests what you might have meant, should you get the word slightly wrong [:w]
#138320 by Neil
11 Sep 2006, 09:17
Yer thanks Paul - obviously I am aware of such online dictionary's but just always tend to use Word for my spell checker, it was just an idea to save me having to click to another programme and wondered what the possibilities were (this section does say 'idea's for the site')..... I'll be quiet now [:#]
#138327 by preiffer
11 Sep 2006, 09:55
Originally posted by Attitude23
I'll be quite now [:#]
Quite what? [}:)][:p]

Sorry - tried to stop my fingers typing then, but have no willpower. Apologies already waiting...[:I][:#]
#138331 by Neil
11 Sep 2006, 10:05
Originally posted by preiffer

Sorry - tried to stop my fingers typing then, but have no willpower. Apologies already waiting...[:I][:#]

[B)]damn, damn, damn, damn, damn, damn, damn....... oh i can't believe I did that, d'oh, oh well. Its ok though, it is totally the reply I would of put too[ii] can't beat highlighting peoples faults[:I], in a nice way of course!

so thank you Paul[:(!]
#138335 by PVGSLF
11 Sep 2006, 10:33
Originally posted by preiffer

Well, I resisted! [:w]
#138337 by HighFlyer
11 Sep 2006, 11:09
For all those Firefox users out there, when Firefox 2 is released later in the year there will be an inline spell checker active in all text boxes, working exactly as Word does (underlining incorrect words in red, and right-clicking to substitute it).

Until then, dust off that old dictionary :)

Thanks,
Sarah
#138338 by Neil
11 Sep 2006, 11:15
Originally posted by HighFlyer
For all those Firefox users out there, when Firefox 2 is released later in the year there will be an inline spell checker active in all text boxes, working exactly as Word does (underlining incorrect words in red, and right-clicking to substitute it).

Until then, dust off that old dictionary :)

Thanks,
Sarah

Thanks Sarah, as a Firefox user that will be most handy. Any idea when it is likely to be launched?

#138341 by HighFlyer
11 Sep 2006, 11:24
Neil, Firefox 2.0 should be launched in October.

The current Beta 2 incarnations have this new feature enabled (as well as many others) and you can go ahead and download that now from Mozilla, although it is a Beta and designed only for testers, developers and people signed up to Moz.Dev, in short, DO NOT download this is if you are not computer savvy or have any concerns about running Beta software. Plus, there is still a lot of development going on with Beta 2, so you will find that a lot of the extensions are disabled/incompatible.

I am using Beta 2 and it makes life so much easier on Internet forums. Now, if they can do a grammar checker as well ... :D

Thanks,
Sarah
#138344 by Neil
11 Sep 2006, 11:34
Thanks again Sarah..

Now, if they can do a grammar checker as well ... :D

God I would be in heaven with one of those, Im still also waiting for somebody to to a 'that doesn't make sense' checker, to stop mistake like my quite/quiet happening and I will be in heaven[8D] (I could actually do hiring somebody to do my typing for me)

#138345 by Littlejohn
11 Sep 2006, 11:41
Hi Highfly - it the tecnical nicompoop here! I have downloaded firefox beta 2, but how does one turn on this in line spell checker?
#138351 by HighFlyer
11 Sep 2006, 12:14
Originally posted by sailor99
Hi Highfly - it the tecnical nicompoop here! I have downloaded firefox beta 2, but how does one turn on this in line spell checker?

If you are running Beta 2 (check that it says 'Mozilla Firefox Beta 2' on the top of the window) it should do so automatically.

Start typing in the reply box for this thread (you can use quick reply) and misspell a word, you should see it underline in red.

If not, PM for technical help .... my rates are quite reasonable :D

As a side, you will have to download the UK dictionary as the Beta is default to US - unless you want to make our American chums feel more at home that is

Thanks,
Sarah
#138373 by Littlejohn
11 Sep 2006, 15:26
Have just downloaded the beta version. You may need to delete your old version first (as I did). I have to say it is really jolly good. Just one problem. How to put this delicately? It only seems to come with a Western Atlantic English dictionary - the Eastern Atlantic version is not ready yet I guess. However, all is not lost. There is an Australian dictionary available which is very similar. Plus it capitalises Shelia, Fosters and Castlemaine XXXX when you type them in [y]

So all in all, a great suggestion highflyer [^]

g'day cobbers.

Bruce.
#138376 by HighFlyer
11 Sep 2006, 15:32
Glad you are getting on well with it Jeremy [y] Yes it is a bummer that the en-UK dictionary is not on the site yet - i guess they do not see the need as we are all part of Americashire now. (on a serious note, there will be one soon!)

I hope Richard28 sees this, he wont need to refer to his Junior Encyclopedia of Australia to spell those large words :)

Thanks,
Sarah
#138378 by Littlejohn
11 Sep 2006, 15:38
I get this funny feeling that he will struggle to miss the thread [}:)];)
#138383 by Neil
11 Sep 2006, 15:53
I'm really looking forward to getting home now so I can download it and start using it instead of the stupid IE that we have at work[n]. I guess if Jeremy can get it working I must be able to ;)
#138387 by Littlejohn
11 Sep 2006, 16:27
I guess if Jeremy can get it working I must be able to ;)

You really should learn to respect your betters and elders you know.;)
#138391 by Neil
11 Sep 2006, 16:38
Originally posted by sailor99
I guess if Jeremy can get it working I must be able to ;)

You really should learn to respect your betters and elders you know.;)

Jeremy, you know you have my upmost respect! I just can't help been sarcastic[:#]
#138501 by PVGSLF
12 Sep 2006, 02:15

Jeremy, you know you have my upmost respect! I just can't help been sarcastic[:#]

[:w]
#138507 by Neil
12 Sep 2006, 08:35
Originally posted by PVGSLF

[B)]What is this, pick on Neil week[:#] First preiffer now PVGSLF.. a mans got feelings as well, im not just a robot......;) (good job I've got broad shoulders!)
#138509 by Jon B
12 Sep 2006, 08:39
Originally posted by PVGSLF

[B)]What is this, pick on Neil week[:#] First preiffer now PVGSLF.. a mans got feelings as well, im not just a robot......;) (good job I've got broad shoulders!)

Might as well join in as well [:w]
#138512 by Neil
12 Sep 2006, 08:53
Originally posted by Jon B

Might as well join in as well [:w]

Yes Thank You Jon, cheers for that[y], I do actually know the im is incorrect but it is something I have and always will do and as much as I try not to I still do it so I've just accept that im always going to it wrong!
#138514 by PVGSLF
12 Sep 2006, 09:00
I think we are all on very dodgy ground here!!!!!

I'm sure my spelling, grammar and general sense making has got worse over the years with computers.

Sometimes I read and re-read stuff I've written and find "non-sense" and bad grammar each time.

I very often think one word and the type something similar, spelt correctly, but not the correct word at all.

I imagine it's kind of like dyslexia, except its not the letters that jump about, it's entire words [:?]

(Bold words indicate wrong one, but it took me about 4 reads to spot them!)
#138517 by Neil
12 Sep 2006, 09:11
Your not probably wrong PVGSLF, computers have definitely made us more lazy (this whole post started because I am too lazy to have to use another programme to check my spelling), the biggest challenge I find is not trying to use txt speak. As I have grown up in the generation where it is almost standard to use txt speak and then join a forum that doesn't allow it (and quite rightly so) I do struggle to try and adhere to the requirements, missing 'g's from the end of words is my biggest battle. Oh life's tough at times.

Virgin Atlantic