#138520 by Littlejohn
12 Sep 2006, 09:35
Originally posted by Attitude23
So I've just accepted? that im always going to do? it wrong!

Oh well, if everyone else is having a pop, well, it would be rude not to :);)

In my book, one writes for someone else to read. So, as long as the message is easy and clear to read (and to an extent this objective is simple good manners and consideration) what does the spelling and grammar matter. Of course good spelling and grammar do help the understanding for the reader, but it is not the be all and end all.

As to txt-speak, there is nothing implicitly wrong with it - just like there would be nothing implicitly wrong with posting in Russian. It's just that with the vast range of people who visit the board only a proportion of them would understand it, just like only 1 person I know of (there may be more) would be able to properly understand a message in Russian.
#138551 by radar
12 Sep 2006, 11:28
I used to have a guy work for me who was so addicted to texting, especially in the 'short' form that it migrated over to emails, and after a while, even speech! Most odd. 'Tis the curse of a younger generation by and large. I don't know many people who even text a lot at my age. Of course that may say more about me than anything [:I] but my wife and I barely get through ten texts a month between us!

My brother (fifteen years my junior...) is currently being treated for RSI, thought to have developed from regular texting on his mobiles. Yikes!

It is interesting how short a time it takes for people's ways to change. Email has gone nuts in the last few years. Some companies are even starting to limit the use, in order to try and encourage employees to talk more!

Hope I haven't gone too far off topic!
#138556 by Neil
12 Sep 2006, 11:37
Originally posted by radar
Of course that may say more about me than anything [:I] but my wife and I barely get through ten texts a month between us!

[:0] - I get throught that by 8am most days!!
#138558 by locutus
12 Sep 2006, 11:43
Have any of you tried ieSpell?
#138625 by PVGSLF
12 Sep 2006, 16:37
I feel totally cut off from text in Korea... My UK phone doesn't work here (not 3G) and the korean phones don't use SIMS, so no chance just to swap SIM cards between phones.
When I was working in China, during a "bad traffic day" on the way to work I sent @150 texts! 1) text prices in china are ridiculously low, 2) the compnay paid the bill without question!
I have sent about ten texts in the 2 1/2 months I've been in Korea... and what is worse I had to re-learn "old skool" text as the Korean phone I have doesn't do predictive text or smileys [:(!]
#138777 by HighFlyer
13 Sep 2006, 11:37
The 'British English' dictionary for Firefox Beta 2 was uploaded to Mozilla last night.

See here to download it.

Please note, this is a BETA add-on for users of Fx 2.0b1 or 2.0b2, this wont work if you are running Firefox 1.5 (1.8.0.6).

Thanks,
Sarah
#138833 by catsilversword
13 Sep 2006, 15:05
Originally posted by PVGSLF
I think we are all on very dodgy ground here!!!!!

I'm sure my spelling, grammar and general sense making has got worse over the years with computers.

Sometimes I read and re-read stuff I've written and find "non-sense" and bad grammar each time.

I very often think one word and the type something similar, spelt correctly, but not the correct word at all.

I imagine it's kind of like dyslexia, except its not the letters that jump about, it's entire words [:?]

(Bold words indicate wrong one, but it took me about 4 reads to spot them!)

It's always the fault of the dyslexic keyboard....[}:)]
#138835 by Littlejohn
13 Sep 2006, 15:11
Presumably a dyslexic keyboard could also be called a YTREWQ keyboard?
#142087 by Neil
05 Oct 2006, 20:42
As I started this thread thought I would just inform you all how my problem has been solved, just incase it could be of use to anyone else After HUGE problems with Firefox Beta 2 (crashed Windows), I could never get the spell checker to work, but I now have found a very similar tool to what Sarah was suggesting, with the Google Toolbar(not sure if its just for Firefox), but it has a spell checker built in and with the click of a button it informs me of my many errors and gives me lots of options to change it to, just what I was looking for right at the start of the thread, so problem solved[y]

Neil.

Any future spelling errors are the fault of Google btw, not me:)
Virgin Atlantic