#18256 by preiffer
11 Mar 2007, 21:12
So, today being the 2nd Sunday in March (and this being the first year of the "altered DST" for the USA - they've switched forward an hour as of today (ahead of the rest of the world).

The problem is, it's 7:10pm here, but this post will go in as 8:10pm. I guess an alteration might be needed...

...to US government policy [}:)][:w]
#163073 by honey lamb
11 Mar 2007, 21:24
I was wondering why the time was not posting accurately. I suppose this means that for the next couple of weeks we will have to work out different times. What the time difference between here and NYC now? [?]
#163078 by honey lamb
11 Mar 2007, 21:59
Originally posted by preiffer
4 hours, HL.

Thanks. Couldn't work out if it was 4 or 6. Senior moments, you understand [:p]
#163085 by ChuckC
11 Mar 2007, 23:24
Originally posted by preiffer
4 hours, HL.

5, if you are in Memphis!:D

My cell phone updated the time accurately this morning, but not until I powered it down and up again.

Yahoo didn't know what time it was, nor did my computer, which I had to update manually.

I've heard that there are update programs available for download (that is, if anyone here has a US-based program(me). [V]

Guess this is where the phrase "lost in translation" may have originated?![}:)]

Chuck-
#163086 by preiffer
11 Mar 2007, 23:27
Originally posted by ChuckC
I've heard that there are update programs available for download (that is, if anyone here has a US-based program(me). [V]
Yup.

Microsoft have had a big campaign, linked from their homepage running for a while now as they knew the change in date/logic for DST would potentially cause the odd problem or two... [:0]
#163127 by fozzyo
12 Mar 2007, 12:52
It also switches back a week later in November I think. All to do with saving energy apparently.
#163193 by VS-EWR
12 Mar 2007, 21:30
Originally posted by fozzyo
It also switches back a week later in November I think. All to do with saving energy apparently.

Yeah, of course didn't the UK try this sometime in the 70s and find that it didn't work?

Repeat after me: Learn after our mistakes.

[|)]
#163215 by p17blo
12 Mar 2007, 23:49
no, no, no. Why is it a mistake - Gimme BST all year round :-)

Dark nights are so depressing.

Paul
#163220 by honey lamb
13 Mar 2007, 00:14
Originally posted by VS-EWR

Yeah, of course didn't the UK try this sometime in the 70s and find that it didn't work?

[|)]

What they did in the 70s was not revert back to GMT at the end of October. Where it caused major problems was in Scotland - particularly to the north of the country as it did not become light till about 10:00am. There was a major hullaballoo about kids going to school in the dark and the potential for accidents to happen, especially it was at a time that kids mostly walked to school. My argument at the time was that kids, by and large went straight to school but were inclined to dawdle on the way home. How often did I take short cuts that added about a mile to my journey?

I can't remember whether it was kept on for one or two years before reverting back to daylight saving, but once again the debate raises its head from time to time, usually in October at the thought of the dark evenings

Incidentally, there was a time when the time change roughly was about the same as the new rule in America before it got standardised to the last Sunday in March. It was always around St Patrick's Day, which I'm sure you all know is next Saturday. You do, don't you? [:w]
#163227 by DMetters-Bone
13 Mar 2007, 00:51
Originally posted by honey lamb
Originally posted by VS-EWR

[|)]

What they did in the 70s was not revert back to GMT at the end of October. Where it caused major problems was in Scotland - particularly to the north of the country as it did not become light till about 10:00am. There was a major hullaballoo about kids going to school in the dark and the potential for accidents to happen, especially it was at a time that kids mostly walked to school. My argument at the time was that kids, by and large went straight to school but were inclined to dawdle on the way home. How often did I take short cuts that added about a mile to my journey?

I can't remember whether it was kept on for one or two years before reverting back to daylight saving, but once again the debate raises its head from time to time, usually in October at the thought of the dark evenings

Incidentally, there was a time when the time change roughly was about the same as the new rule in America before it got standardised to the last Sunday in March. It was always around St Patrick's Day, which I'm sure you all know is next Saturday. You do, don't you? [:w]

And it falls on a Saturday too, what a great day to celebrate, you have all day Sunday to recover or start again!!! [y]
#163231 by honey lamb
13 Mar 2007, 01:04
Originally posted by DMetters-Bone

And it falls on a Saturday too, what a great day to celebrate, you have all day Sunday to recover or start again!!! [y]

AND it is a public holiday over here, so because it falls on a Saturday, we get Monday off too! [^][^]
#163261 by DMetters-Bone
13 Mar 2007, 14:15

AND it is a public holiday over here, so because it falls on a Saturday, we get Monday off too! [^][^]

Oh how FAB is that! Well I will have a few pints in your honour over here! Happy celebrating! [^][^]
#163308 by VS045
13 Mar 2007, 20:19
no, no, no. Why is it a mistake - Gimme BST all year round :-)

Dark nights are so depressing.

I'm with you, Paul:D

VS.
#163344 by honey lamb
13 Mar 2007, 23:59

Oh how FAB is that! Well I will have a few pints in your honour over here! Happy celebrating! [^][^]

Except that I have now retired and the magic of a public holiday and therefore no work is somewhat diminished.
#163456 by MarkJ
14 Mar 2007, 18:30
Except that I have now retired and the magic of a public holiday and therefore no work is somewhat diminished.

So every day can be St Patrick's day in your house Christine[y][^]
#163523 by honey lamb
15 Mar 2007, 01:14
I shall be so glad when March 25th comes. The timing on the forum at present is doing my head in - especially when checking back on recent posts
Virgin Atlantic