#2602 by db1
14 Sep 2004, 21:14
Not sure if this topic belongs here or in the V-Flyer Website section, please feel free to move if need be.

I have been wondering if anyone else here thinks it would be a good idea to start some sort of V-Flyer awards as a little side line to 'Heroes'.

Although there couldn't be any monetary value prizes, i am sure being recognised by a web populated by frequent Virgin travellers who value the effort put in by VS staff members would be a great honour.

I just think it would be a very nice idea to implement, maybe a special section of the site dedicated to staff members, obviously with their permission and not in breach of any VS rules and regs regarding staff members.

Only a quick idea that popped into my head while on the train this evening, i always think staff get too many complaints and not enough praise for the service they provide to us all.
#41194 by Nottingham Nick
14 Sep 2004, 21:35
As db1 suggested, I have moved this to the website forum.

An interesting idea, one I hadn't thought of. My first reaction was that we are too new and too small, but then - does that show lack of ambition for the site?

Certainly, I am all for rewarding service that is 'above and beyond' but, that is what 'Heroes' is there for.

More thoughts anyone?

Nick
#41202 by buns
14 Sep 2004, 21:52
Nick

I tend to agree with you and that those on this site tend to make mention of special service in the course of TRs and the like.

The only problem I would see in having any sort of award process within v Flyer is the subjectivity in deciding who might be best overall (there of course may be a few amongst us who might be up for shortlisting candidates if Op Ups were an influencing factor;);))

Buns
#41203 by db1
14 Sep 2004, 22:08
I'm not sure what the process could possibly be but Op Ups i don't think constitute outstanding 'above and beyond' service its generally right place right time sort of issue.

I dont think the site is too new too small, i remeber when i first came across the site it was tiny compared to the presence it has now.

Its just an idea an if it spawns something along the same lines or goes no further theres nothing lost,

It would also be a great way to increase knowledge about the site.
#41211 by buns
14 Sep 2004, 22:57
Db1

please accept my apologies. My comment about opups was intended to be a lightheated reference to some here who might jump at the chance of being able to short list candidates if they were able to get an op up as a consequence.

My issue remains about how we here could determine, in a truly subjective way, that a particular staff member was the best of all who would have been put forward.

That said, i am more than happy to suport the idea if the concensus is that this is a "runner".

all the best

buns
#41212 by db1
14 Sep 2004, 23:14
I wasn't having a go or anything regards Op ups, sorry if i was brash, wasn't intended.

I do agree it will be very difficult to find a way to be completely subjective hopefully someone will have a great idea on how to judge who would receive any sort of award/recognition, maybe some sort of poll with a review of why someone has been nominated....visitors to the site could then cast a vote based on different catergories after reading the reviews.
#41222 by mcuth
15 Sep 2004, 11:26
db1

For a while I thought you were talking about the recognition of only the VS staff that contribute to V-Flyer - but reading it all again, I think you're meaning something like "And the V-Flyer Special Appreciation Award goes to...." at the Heroes ceremony? Am I thinking along the right lines here? [?]

I think the latter would be something to certainly think about (and it'd be excellent exposure for the site) - is it too soon? I dunno!
As has been said, the logistics would really need to be sorted properly - we'd need to have clear guidelines, nomination process and a strict timescale.

Cheers

Michael
#41260 by db1
15 Sep 2004, 20:10
Mcuth

What a great idea having a special V-Flyer award at the real 'Heroes'. I wonder if VS would be up for anything like that....being on that sort of scale would be excellent for this website.

The original post i wrote i was thinking of a V-Flyer mini awards completely separate from the real heroes, not just exclusive to staffers who post on here, but a nomination to be put forward by travellers who feel a certain staff member contributed something very special to their trip.

But i think your interpretation of the idea would be very exciting if it could be done.
#41272 by mcuth
15 Sep 2004, 23:51
db1

Think it'd sit well in the scheme of things, but dunno if VS would go for it (one for Pix to pursue methinks ;)). I don't know quite how a V-F awards night would work out, bearing in mind that some of the VS staff we encounter aren't UK based.........

Cheers

Michael
#41509 by RichardMannion
20 Sep 2004, 01:29
I actually thought about this myself whilst away as I encountered some great staff again. Heroes is an awesome program, but it is sometime before the next ceremony.

Thought it would be nice to have our own awards, maybe some small trophies...

Thanks,
Richard
#41518 by Pete
20 Sep 2004, 11:14
I like the concept, although I think where it might have complications is the overlap with the existing flying club Hero award (ie, an individual voted for by the customers). If we were to 'add value' to the Heroes, or at least compliment them in some way, perhaps we could put a different spin on it by seeking out the best facility, such as 'Best Clubhouse'. If we do a little trophy, then it could be proudly displayed at reception :-)

Of course, I'm sure the moderating team would be happy to visit those Clubhouses on the shortlist for final judging. It's a tough job, but someone's gotta do it. :D

Pix
#41526 by mcuth
20 Sep 2004, 13:08
Pix

I do like your suggestion of a V-Flyer section like "best clubhouse" - that would be great :)

quote:Of course, I'm sure the moderating team would be happy to visit those Clubhouses on the shortlist for final judging. It's a tough job, but someone's gotta do it. :D

Begrudgingly, I volunteer for this arduous task - subject, of course, to a satisfactory expense reimbursement policy ;):D

Cheers

Michael
Virgin Atlantic