#238165 by Scrooge
30 Sep 2005, 17:59
Well after a nice night at the Riverbank Park Plaza we cabbed it over to Paddington then took the HEX up to LHR.

Check-in was a breeze,used the kiosks then dropped the bags.(we did check about upping to Club again,but at 6k each that was a no go) through secruity etc then into duty free.Picked up a couple of things for the neices and wife's boss then of to the smoking lounge.

While the wife smoked I did my sweet raid on WH Smith then of to the gate.

Of course I went up to the counter to ask about upping again and got to listen to an interesting conversation.To make it short the gate agents last remark was 'so explain to me please why BA should up-grade you for free to club when you are in WT'..the gentalman could not come up with an answer so he left,leaving me in line.

Using a all the charm I could muster I take out my CC and ask if this is a good enough reason,the lady give's me a confused look,so I tell her my good reason is that I want to pay for one.Now for some reason BA gate agents and I get along very well,no idea why but they seem to go out of their way to help me..Well she tells me there is one seat open she can move me to,prints out a boarding card then it dawns on her that there are 2 of us flying..She get's all sheepish and says sorry..nice of her to try though.

Boarding wass a joke,pretty much a ready..set..go..thing,only pre-boarding then everyone on..We hang back with a couple of guys doing a RTW who are now on thier last leg.Preety much the last people to board,get settled then wait and wait and wait...we sat there for maybe an hour..Captain comes on and explains that they are waiting for food..wait some more..GG truck pulls up,quick of laod and away we go...why they boarded the plane with no food on is beyond me.
The flight ended up pushing back an hour late.

WT+ is pretty much PE..IFE up quickly,seats back and beverage service starts.

Interesting choice of food on todays flight,chicken or beef,lasagna,never had chciken Lasagna before and decided that at the start of an 11 hr flight it wasn't the time to start,so beef it was.
Knid of amazed but it was good,kind of like what my mother used to make,so big [y][y][y] for BA and GG on this.

FA's were around every 30 mins with a tray of water and juices again [y].I dont know whats happened at BA or if we were just lucky but the crews on both our flights were very good and easy going,not the stuck up BA type im used to.To make my point I was in the galley between WT+ and club hanging out with a couple of them,talking about Vegas when I needed to go to the bathrrom,im still talking to one of the guys,not paying attenetion when I reach for the curtain,well something told me whatever I was touching was not a curtain,but the female FA did have a smile on her face when she said I could move my hand anytime I wanted !!! [:I] I apologised repeatedly fully ready to get the wrath of someone,but she laughed it off.On a lter trip back up to the galley for a drink the male FA said what out 'M' here he comes again..I get ready to crawl into a hole and hide,she slaps him and assures me there was no problem,these things happen.

Well time for the afternoon snack..well we had the crackers,everything else was something with onions,as we both hate onions so the box's went back and from the stack I saw in the galley I would say so did most of them.

Arrived about an hour late we did end up taking off an hour late so no time made up.

Overal just what I expected,nothing more,though again the crew were great.

Would I fly BA again,well now thats an interesting question.

We took BA for a couple of reasons,VS load mismangment didn't want to give up any up-grades,even up until the day before we flew out,even though UC had 20+ seats open,I don't know what the load was like on the day but it still seems pretty stupid to me.

So I looked at PE on VS and WT + on BA and BA was was $800 cheaper...each...2 out of my last 5 flights home have been with BA and all in all they have a good product,the IFE sucks compared to V-Port,but is the same as Nova etc.Seating in WT+ is the same to me as PE,the staff have been good and then there is the major cost difference,if VS had been close then we would of flown VS and I would of tried for an up-grade at LAX,but with that price difference it had to be BA.