#239189 by Ianflies
30 Nov 2005, 17:33
Well, the RTW trip was over having spent a fantastic time in HK, Perth, Sydney, North and South New Zealand, ending hols with a 4am rise hot air balloon ride for sunrise over Christchurch. So yes, really tired and not looking to the long 2 day flight home. Did the internal Christchurch to Auckland, then onto LAX (via Qantas, only cradle seats, but OK and had a couple of hours kip).

Had a 5 hour stop over awaiting BA flight so looking forward to using lounge in LA. Have to say, disappointed. We went to Business lounge before being told they had a First lounge round the corridor. This was even smaller, and while there were about 12 different airline lounges sharing the same floor, they all shared 2 toilet facilities at opposite ends of the corridor - for a city airport and the amount of lounges I found this amazing, although it was not the main terminal, but an offshoot, nevertheless, very disappointing. Nice snacks, wine and champagne made the time go quickly ready for boarding.

After the children were boarded we were given next priority and upon seeing our FIRST borading pass seats my name was immediately used, although I presented my wifes boarding pass, I was called Mrs. initially! Anyway sat down and made myself comfortable only 3 minutes before champagne was made available by the cabin supervisor, using my name.

Flight was 10 minutes late but we were soon up and away, with the menus and video library cards handed out. A drink order was also given as were our sleep suits and amenity kits. Service was very attentive and my name was frequently used, even on way to the loo's I was asked if everything was OK and again name was used.

On reading the previous FIRST post by GrinningJackanapes, I feel this view is somewhat harsh, albeit a particular opinion of an individual flight, I would not give BA a 6-1 drumming compared to UCS. While UCS has some very good points, I think BA have some very positive things going for them, and while this is a Virgin website I hope deliver a bit of impartiality. Generally speaking I have found the personal service and attention on BA First (perhaps not Club) superior to VA. Constantly throughout the night there were several walk throughs - even if my eyes fluttered I was offered services, and the rememberance of names was impressive.

I have to say too the quality of food is (currently) superior to VA. Table was laid perfectly with full silver service (even knives) and a nice cruet set. I had the most delicious 'traditional' tomato soup for starters, which I have to say rivalled some good restaurants I have tried. I asked for more, and upon 'checking with chef', it turned out it was a popular option and none was left. For mains I had a superb steak with seemingly fresh green beans and potato wedge style potatoes (surprisingly!), all very tasty with a nice gravy. Steak was tasty, tender and cooked just right. Cheese and biscuits - nice variety. Was offered port with it, I asked for cognac and was reccommended a 'rather nice' XO cognac which just hit the spot along with a heated glass (nice touch) and with a hot coffee and awesome chocolates. Wine was non-stop and in the end it was me who had to say no more!

Breakfast again was surprisingly good with OJ/Energiser, cereal, warm rolls/croissants/toast. Fresh made scrambled eggs, surprisingly good crispy sausages, bacon and mushrooms with a hash brown or 2 -not greasy and quite tasty. Impressed.

Again, the main thing that does let BA down as I said in my previous report are the beds. The reclining nature is excellent and you can pick how far you like to go down, a plus over VA as you can only go 2/3 way down and sometimes I find it a bit uncomfortable while trying to relax watching TV, but BA you can choose. The full beds though are narrower and VA and not quite as comfy and less personal space. The temperature was so warm in the cabin I could not get to sleep - I even asked for it to be turned down and it was, but not much better. I understand BA are upgrading their seating and entertainment and this will make them a huge threat to VA, as this is where VA do win hands down. Yes cabin decor is a bit dated but in general there are some nice floral touches, the washrooms are spacious and smell nice too (Molton Brown) although cabin space seems less than VA for sure.

All in all, quality of service and attentiveness was second to none (to be honest, whilst I have received some excellent VA service, not on this level of attentiveness, though I know, one is business and one is FIRST...), the food was of high standard and without wishing to put down VA, I have to say of late, this is far superior to VA (sorry guys!). Entertainment was OK, VA is certainly superior as are the overall seats, with pro's and con's as already said.

Captain was on fine form, being Scottish, announced when flying over this 'green and pleasant land' he could see his house almost! In jovial mood as were all the crew - not one ounce of snobbery to be found, unusual for BA to be sure (have experienced it in Club several times).

There was an ex-wife of a very famous ageing rock'n'roll star (still going) who managed to sneak to front of queue for disembarking and had (for some reason) a wheelchair waiting to whisk her through customs. Papparazzi were waiting - 'How you doing *****?' - 'Oh just leave me alone will you' - and they promptly did, much I think to her disappointment!! We were 1st off and luggage was quick and efficiently picked up.

All in all an exemplory flight. Lounge facilities poor (have been to some great Business lounges in Sydney and NZ with far more) and the toilet issue was astounding. Apart from that though, I thought I was treated very special indeed with the service and food on a par with the money I had spent.

So Sky, (last post) Yes, use your miles and try for the upgrade to FIRST for the expereince alone. Obviously people receive different experiences when flying all classes, but my experience is very favourable and whilst I love flying the Virgin Flag and the UCS and the Vrigin Brand, it is good to try others and compare, and whilst not strictly the same product, BA certainly win on certain aspects as do VA. I would do FIRST again - my acid test is if I can say to myself sincerely 'oh yes, this IS the life' when sitting back in bliss, then I know I am on a winner, and I certainly said that.

A most enjoyable experience and fitting end to a 3 1/2 week holiday. Shame I can't afford it every time!!