#239313 by mcmbenjamin
07 Dec 2005, 04:00
Block at 18h35m
Actual Time 17h46m

Now is all I can say. One would think traveling 9535 miles would be unbearable but I enjoyed the journey; possible one of my favourite flights yet.

I guess my trip starts at Washington Dulles IAD. I needed to get to Newark Airport for my flight. So I thought I would take the 3:10 PM depart from Washington Dulles to Newark. Well as Decker pointed out in his trip report, the weather in the northeast USA was bad on 04DEC. My 3:10 was delayed to 3:50 PM and when I went to have the Captian sign my jumpseat request form, he said the release time to Newark was after 5PM but I was welcome to join them. So I decided to take the delayed 3:00Pm flight to New York-LGA as its posted time was now 4:05PM. As the captian about the release time and it was 4:17 PM so that sounded like a plan. We push back and as reached spot 80 at IAD ground called and said our release time is now 5:03PM. So we took off then landed on Runway 22 at LGA, thanked the crew the ride and took the ETS Shuttle for Newark Airport at 6:30PM.

At 7:45PM I arrived at Newark. As it is a 11PM departure, there was no line but they were prepared as there were about eight checkin desk. Checkin was preformed by a ground contractor, maybe SAS. No problems but got the 'SSSS' on my boarding card, possible because I changed my dates twice.

I got some food at Villa Pizza and got a quick tour of the Virgin Atlantic Clubhouse at Newark.

Then I went pass security and found that there was not much to do. I was traveling in economy and did not lounge access; or so I thought. Being one who believes that it never hurts to ask, I went to in the airside lounge, operated by SAS and ask if my Virgin Flying Club Card gave me access. The agent did not know but as a one-time favour she let me. Pretty nice place but the First Class area was full. Have a wine bar, sweddish meatballs, snadwiches and soft drinks and a telephone/computer area.

The flight was called so I went to gate 63. No line to board. WOW! [:)] The aircraft was had christmas stuff all over the place.

Well up to this point I was sorta scaried that the aircraft would be cramped but I was pleasently delight. The 2-3-3 config. was great. I sat in 44G which is an aisle in a block of there seats. The middle seat was empty but noticed that there were not any air vents but only lights. There is plenty of overhead space as the aircraft only seats 181 people. The captian came on the PA and welcomed everyone and said tonights routing. Seamed surreal to me, honestly.

Pushed back and after a long take off roll, we were airborn off to Singapore's Changi Airport.

After fifteen minutes, drink and meal service began. One important point drink service occured at least every 30 minutes during the flight with water and orange juice all the time with apple juice sometimes added to the mix.

I really hate to stop now but I only have 5SGD in my wallet and Chill's Internet cafe charges 3SGD for 30 minutes and I need 1.9OSGD ($1.00 deposit + &0.90 fare) to get back to the Hilton. Should have bought more cash but it is in the room safe and should have paid for lunch at Raffles' Long Bar via Amex. How can they justify charging? 17SGD for a Singapore Sling? [:)] Will update today or tomorrow. So Sorry.

And the beat goes on . . .

I started my flight to Singapore with the classic, The Singapore Sling ![:)]

Then was time for meal service.

The Menu in Executive Economy

'Refreshing Beverages for a more Pleasurable Experience'

-Aperitifs
Gin Fizz
Screwdriver
Bloody Mary
Campria
Dry Vermouth

-Sprits
Cognac Otard VSOP
Johnnie Walker Red Label
Gordon's Dry Gin
Absolut Vodka
Bacardi Carta Blanca
Cointreau
Bailey's

-Wines
French Red Wine
French White Wine
German White Wine

-Champagne
Heidsieck Hertiage
Brut Non Vintage

-Beer
Tiger
Budweiser
Stout

-Fruit Juices
Orange
Pineapple
Apple
Tomato

-Cocktail
Singapore Sling

-Soft Drinks

Tasty Beginnings
-Gravadlax with pickles and leafy greens

The Main Event
-Seared chicken with wild rice, dried cranberry-apple and walnut
or
-Stir-fried beef Szechuan style, leafy greens, cauliflower, red capsicums, and egg noodles

The Cheese Corner
-Cheese and crackers

Sweet Overtones
-Ice Cream

From the Bakery
-Roll and Butter

Also there was a nice note about that there is a snack bar in the back of the aircraft that you can go to. They had Lay's Potato Chips, many king size candy bars, quarter sandwiches, rolls, and always water and orange juice.

So I had the beef.

While watching some movie, I fell asleep. Normally I feel poorly after sleeping in economy but this is really premium economy. After about six hours I woke up. The tought came in my mine that normally at this point, seven hours into the flight, I would be landing at Heathrow.

Out of the blue, person a few rows up opened the window. The cabin was black as night and with the seat recline was perfect. With the open window about a third of the plane stired. She closed the window quickly.

So I went back to the snack bar and got some orange juice and three sandwich things and started to watch everything in Wiseman 3000 under TV Comedy (Sex and the City, Ab Fab (yea), Joey, The Office etc.) Funny thing is that I have seen most of the shows. Pointer: When starting a show on Wiseman, fast-forward ASAP about 2 minutes or watch an advert for the InterContinental in Sydney.

So after this I look to my left and talk to a nice lady from was born in Japan, moved to the USA and became a citizen, and currently is married to an Australian and is working in the education field in Singapore. Wow! She was not old and might I say a life full of big life changes.

So we start ordering from the KrisShop. I bought a model Airbus 340-500 in Singapore Airlines colours. It is medal and all.

Now I only have six hours to go. Over the half way point. Yea. I thought I would see where I am in this great planet. Well no luck as that part of Wiseman is INOP. I really wanted to watch the flight, especially because of it's lenght.

So I went and got some warm instant noodles and water to have a snack with my movie.

Then sleep. Then breakfast.

Menu

Began Your Day With Fresh and Wholesome Pickings

Fresh fruit with cottage cheese
Fruit yoghurt (Strawberry and Banana)

French toast stuffed with ornage cream and Grand Marnier, blueberry syrup and sausages
or
Braised egg noodles with roasted pork and chinese greens
So we arrivied at Changi Airport about 30 minutes early. Funny that we were early on a flight that goes the good bit around half of the world but two day prior I was about 100 minutes late into New York.

Back the soul train up. 'Two days prior.' What the h@ll happened to 05DEC2005? I want it back.

So I arrived safely into the airport halls. First things first; CALL HOME! Saw a booth for free overseas calls. Worked like a champ and free.

Went to passport control without any line or problems. My one bag was waiting for me.

I took the SMRT into town. Good set-up but if you are going to Orchard Road you have to change at Tenah Merah and then at City Hall. Found the Hilton without delay.

A great flight and really could not think of a better way of doing it. Only problem was the flight tracking system but oh well. Food was wonderful but I ate too much. Now I have flown on the world's longest flight and look forward to the return. Will try to get pictures up in Sydney.

Questions warmly welcome. [|:)]

BTW-SQ's is longer than VS' (nevermind, bad joke, I know)

Benjamin