#239385 by mcuth
13 Dec 2005, 01:08
All too soon, it was time to leave LAS ('thank &^%$' said my bank manager) and Decker, Buns, Bazz, Birkin, LRoM, LSoM & myself convened in the Strat's lobby @ ~1100hrs. I think the departure time was somewhere around 1415hrs, but can't be sure now.

The limo that Decker had ordered was slightly tardy, and didn't seem like it'd fit all of us in (especially not with all the luggage [;)]). This seemingly impossible task was achieved, and we were off to the airport with straps holding the boot lid down [:D]

As we went into the check-in area, Buns & I noticed the self-check-in kiosks. Whilst the others went off to join the looooong snake of a line, we went-a-playing. We found out that a couple of them weren't doing the HP check-in, and were sortof going to give up and join the line, until we tried one more machine - success! As we were completing the check-in process, a message popped up: 'Would you like to upgrade to 1st class for $50 each?'..... oooh, pondering.....'nah', says I, 'it's not a long flight.....' before I could finish, Buns made the decision. Insert credit card, print BPs, go to luggage check desk, and....abracadabra, we're off to the TSA luggage screening checkpoint giggling like schoolkids at snatching the upgrade while the rest of the party are still in the check-in line [:D][:D]

We dropped our bags off at the screening area and made our way outside for a smoke - I figured I could've got through a pack while the rest made their way through the line [:D] Going back inside, we found Decker the first to have been 'processed' - still giggling, we asked him where he was sitting......2E (?) - he'd taken advantage of the upgrade too. Next it was Bazz & Birkin - they were staying down the back (can't remember if they'd been asked the question or not). LRoM - with his ears not missing the snatch of the word 'upgrade' had managed to coerce himself & LSoM into the forward cabin as well [:D]

Off we went to the HP lounge, where the attendant was probably bemused by the Centurion/PP/guest combos coming out. A nice lounge this one, very quiet though, but a pretty good barmaid and the G&Ts were flowing nicely again. There's actually a sign in here that says 'No tips accepted' (but in a nicer way), so at least everyone knows where they stand [y][y]

After spending an enjoyable couple of hours (?) in here, it was time to brave the shoe carnival that is LAS. We were getting close-ish to departure time, so Buns & I were compliant and took our shoes straight off (I hate doing that *sigh*) - Decker went for his complimentary grope & wand, whilst LRoM seemed to be intent on causing a riot [:D] I'm sure he'll expand, because I'm still not sure exactly what went on. Off we went to the boarding gate, and I managed to fit in a quick smoke on the way. As a result, Buns & I were the last to board ([:I]), and there was very little overhead bin space left - still, the FA managed to get us a drink pre-take off. That said, she managed to get Decker's drink completely wrong!

Side note: Only a couple of weeks ago, I remembered where I think I've seen this FA before - remember 'LAX - Hollywood Airport' on Beeb 1? Well, it was on UKTV People recently - I'm pretty sure it was the lady training to be an FA on UA (learning how to pour a bottle of champers in First)!!

We made the most of the complimentary booze on the short flight, only taking one trip back to see Bazz & Birkin, who'd managed to snag an empty row, so they had probably more space than we did up the front [:D]

A nice landing into SFO, followed by a looooong walk to the baggage reclaim, and then a looooong wait for all the bags to come off. While we were waiting, who walked up but mcmbenjamin - great to see him! I think he was off to catch a ride to his hotel, and before too long we were headed outside to the limo and a ride into SF (with some cracking AC/DC courtesy of 107.7 the Bone [:D]).....

Cheers

Michael