#239391 by deep_south
13 Dec 2005, 16:29
Return of my DL9 the previous Sunday.

Had in interesting experience calling the Delta call centre; the course finished early so I thought I would see if I could transfer to the earlier flight. I had an e-ticket, so I had no idea if I could... after 25 minutes of holding and transfers, discovered it would cost 200 to change, so didn't bother as it would only save 2 hours.

Got to ATL in plenty of time, using the MARTA train system. Quick checkin at the 'Business Elite' international desk, and then through security, where I got directed down the 'extra security' lane for no reason, which confused the guys at the scanner.... but the line was shorter so I think I saved time overall.

Made my way to the E terminal, and had problems finding the Delta lounge; eventually got to it, to be told there was a 'better international' lounge a couple of doors down.. so went there instead. Nice roomy lounge, with free drinks and a small snack selection. Whiled away a pleasant couple of hours.

The B767-300ER was ready, so we boarded on time; the main bulk of economy was already on board (which meant they didn't keep bashing you as they went past!). The usual chaos of too many carry on bags and not enough space, but Business was OK - plenty of space for our stuff. Why do they allow most people to take two overlarge bags on board...!!!

Push back a few minutes late, short taxi and take off, with an on time scheduled arrival time.

Good drinks service; nice menu folder offered, with a choice of beef, chicken or vegi, and some appetisers. Food was supplied by Gate Gourmet, and was just as good as on the outbound journey. I had the beef again, in some kind of mushroom gravy. It was fine. I declined the dessert, and reclined the seat (it goes to about 170 degrees, and isn't lie flat, but not far off. I managed to get 5 to 6 hours sleep, and woke up after the breakfast service had started. Had the scrambled egg, bacon and potato, which was good.

Landed on time, quick walk to immigration, straight through (how lucky was that at Gatwick at 09:15) and the bags arrived within 4 minutes, so straight out for the taxi pick up.

Overall - excellent value for money. As I said on the outbound the service and crew was as good as UCS; the seat was fine (I actually preferred it to UCS, which I found not very comfortable as a seat, and couldn't sleep very well on it as a bed, but if you leave in the middle of the afternoon I'm not going to sleep much anyway - a 9:00pm departure is more likely to let me sleep!)

And for the same price as PE or WTP it can't be beaten....

I wonder whether you could get as good a price on other routes? I guess a sigle BA flight is the only direct competition on London to Atlanta.