#240696 by andrew.m.wright
10 Feb 2006, 19:01
Flying jetBlue is everything a low cost carrier should be but never is !

State of art Airbus A320s equipped with leather seats complete with 36 free channels of live Direct TV, plus 4 Pay To View movie channels, and an award winning in flight service that serves complementary Tea, Coffee, and snacks

Oh and everything on board is blue That includes the potato chips, and the soap in the washroom !

After 3 days of the worst weather Ive ever seen in Orlando, it was time to head for Boston on jetBlue Flight 432.

Minimum Check In time for jetBlue flights is 90 minutes prior to departure, which saw me leaving the Holiday Inn & Suites Convention Centre at just after 6.30am. Although I didnt need to be at Orlando International Airport, (O.I.A.), till 7.45 am, I was concerned about the early morning traffic.

My traffic worries proved unfounded as I arrived at the Dollar Rental Car return bang on 7am, which was followed by a short walk to the jetBlue Check In area in Terminal A.

Walked up to any empty desk where a member of staff helped me complete Kiosk Check In, and tagged my bags. As is the way in America these days, your baggage must then be taken by you to the T.S.A. Screening Point at the end of the Check In, area.

Once completed I joined the long wait at the T.S.A. Screening Point prior to boarding the Rapid Transit System to Gate 111. All in all from dropping the car off to arriving at the gate was approximately 45 minutes.

Boarding commenced at 8.40 am, and bang on time at 9.10 am we were taxing for a southerly departure on runway 17/35L.

Straight after departure the aircraft turned left 180 degrees, to give a perfect view of O.I.A., followed by the Executive Airport before crossing the coast at Cape Canaveral before heading North up the Eastern Seaboard for Boston.

Once airborne, a Cabin Crew of 4 started the in flight service. Unlike traditional flights, you order is taken, and then delivered some 5 minutes later thus avoiding the need for catering trolleys blocking the isles. You can choose from cold, and cold drinks, plus juices. Beer, Wine, and Spirits are available at a cost of $5. The snacks consist of crisps, nuts, and cookies to name just three !

Its worth pointing out that its a real team effort on a jetBlue flight with the Captain & 1st Officer addressing passengers in the cabin prior to take off, and again thanking passengers at the exit of the aircraft at the conclusion of the flight.

I thought this was a really nice touch.

This was a quick flight at just under two hours 30 minutes, and once the New York skyline appeared, descent started and some 40 minutes later, we were on the ground at Logan International Airport after an westerly approach that saw us head out across the Atlantic before turning 180 degrees for final approach.

A short taxi saw us at the Gate, and 10 minutes later I was on the way to the T Station having collected my luggage.

Some CEOs of other so called budget airlines could do worse than take a jetBlue flight !