#240850 by VS045
17 Feb 2006, 15:56
We arrived at TLS after a week of skiing in the Pyrenees (not an experience to be repeated) at 5:35 (CET) just in time for the 5:45 check-in closure. There were no queues so check-in was pretty quick and we were assigned seats 13A/B and 14A/B. We then made our way to security and after queueing for around 5 minutes we went through and, as in the US, had to put pretty much everything in through the x-ray machine. Gate 35 was only about 20 metres from passport control which was lucky as we thought we would only just make boarding. However, the aircraft had arrived late from LGW and they were still offloading bags from the inbound flight. This meant a delay of around half an hour which gave ample time to look out across the ramp at airbus and get a glimpse of two A38Os (1 SQ and 1 anonymous), a couple of belugas and the new VS -600. To be honest, the A380 really doesn't look that special and doesn't really jump out as being particularly different. Unfortunately, it was too far and the glass to dark to be able to get any decent pictures that would be worth showing.
We were finally able to board and after sitting on the ground a little while longer, we were on our way. The taxi down to the runway was pretty fast, so I guess the crew wanted to try and make up the lost time. After lining up for take-off we had to wait a bit longer for our clearance and then after what seemed like a bit of a drawn out take off we got up in the air.
Soon after the seatbelt signs were switched off, the FAs came around with the 'All Day Deli' and as now seems the norm on Euro Traveller, the food was chucked out to us pax. The meal consisted of a pretty moist ham and cheese sandwich as well as an awful raspberry pudding with cream. In total, there were 23 E-numbers in the food - not exactly fine dining. Follwing this, the drinks service was brought round - at least they couldn't go wrong with this.
We went through some mild turbulence during this period which necessitated the seat-belt signs being lit and everyone had to return to their seats.
The crew finished handing (read throwing) out the food and drinks with about 45 minutes left of the flight. We started out descent a bit before eight and were thenf roced to hold for around 10 minutes prior to being allowed to land at Gatwick.
We touched down at about 23 minutes past seven (local) and then made a high speed exit off the runway. A couple minutes later, we passed under the bridge and docked at gate 52 before de-planing.
The queues at immigration at LGW were almost non-existent and we were able to get to baggae reclaim without too much delay.
I think our flights to and from TLS exemplified the way BA is going with its european service nowadays with a hurried meal service from pretty run-of-the-mill crew. Even once the meal arrived, it left much to be desired in both taste and healthwise.
Also, I must add that whilst trying to put a drinks bottle in the seat-pocket, I discovered that the previous occupant had deposited their USED tissues [:$] here which I was not too pleased to find.
I flew with BA to HEL in the summer during the catering trouble and in my opinion, the food we were served then did a much better job than the sandwich and E-numbers masquerading as a raspberry pudding.[:(!]

Hope you enjoyed this TR even if it was slightly ranty![;)]

Cheers,
VS045