#241992 by ukblue
08 Apr 2006, 23:03
I have just returned from New York via Singapore to Sydney. I took the Newark flight with Singapore Airlines as part of a RTW Great Escapade ticket.

I had requested a seat with a spare one next to me as I was told the flight was not busy - in the event, almost everyone in the second of the two Raffles cabins got a spare seat free next to them. Those poor 'top tier' frequent flyers in the first Raffles cabin - expecting it to be a quieter cabin with more exclusivity, but in the event missing out on a near empty cabin with 100% more room due to the empty seat next to them.

The plane is spectacular - it is very roomy and you notice it from the moment you step aboard. On entering you pass through a huge galley area and business class passenger free zone where snacks and magazines are available. The cabin is furnished in very soft colours and instantly feels calm and different. The Raffles seating is more generous in pitch (another 4 inches) and the seat does recline more horizontally.

I was in row 21, the last in the cabin - it has a feeling of more privacy with no one behind you. Its over the wing, yet the A340-500 (and A340-600) are so quiet, even when the engines where at full throttle for our on time 23:00 departure, it was not load.

The Captain informed us the flight this night would take the polar route - more often it tracks over the Atlantic to make advantage of the favourable wind patterns. But not tonight, we would fly almost 360 degrees north from Newark and track within 80 miles of the North Pole. This route, he explained, was usually very calm and he expected a smooth flight. In fact it was bump less. Then over Siberia and onto Singapore.

Our flight time was 18 hours and 10 minutes and this aircraft just did its work, flying us in comfort without a twitch or a bump.

I had ordered the 'Book the Cook' and the Sea Bass in XO sauce was delivered after a Lobster starter. Cheese and plenty of Champagne and I decided to call it a day 2 hours into the flight and sleep. Now strangely, Singapore Airlines no longer give out amenity packs - eye shades yes, but no ear plugs. Luckily I had a pack from the VS201 flight I was on last week and used it instead. I slept for 10 hours - the seat is very comfortable and at 6' 3' tall I could not touch the seat in front when fully reclined - this is not normally the case on the standard Raffles seat. I cannot complain but it in direct comparison it is not as good as Virgin Upper Class.

Kris World (AVOD), snacks and a full breakfast occupied the other 6 hours with ease.

A truly marvellous experience and one I am please I took - a little further to get from NY to SYD my home, but worth the extra distance. I shall return, thank you Singapore Airlines.