#242202 by slimey_c
18 Apr 2006, 23:30
And now to complete the TR

Return..16th April BA298

Before I comment on the return leg Ill add a few comments on the connecting flight from MCO. We left lovely clear skies and headed into ORD on a day when they had 20 Tornadoes in Illinois and Iowa. [:?]

This was an incredible flight for one reason only I saw my first Tornado from the air! It was right next to the plane and you could make it out almost all the way to the ground. Sadly the weather was also the main contributor to a very, very bumpy flight. The bad weather was right in our approach path to ORD so we had to fly into it. I have never experienced anything like it and I am sure my fingernail imprints are still on row 34. Very fortunately we had a 757 rather than the original MD80 scheduled which I think helped buffer some of the bumps. This was not the great start to a trip home for a nervous flyer!![B)]

After spending 6 hours in Chicago a quick trip on the El into town to get soaked in the city in the storms (why did we bother [:o)]) we awaited our return. 45 mins before our scheduled departure time there was still no plane on the stand. I knew then that we would be late but for an hour the gate still showed On Time [:w].

When the crew arrived there was no plane to get on and I found them in MacDonalds! They obviously knew what I did not about the food![:?]

The plane arrived about 40 mins before departure, again a 777. After a lot of cargo had been removed it was 20 minutes to go. There was no chance by this time and finally an announcement was made blaming the weather.

We pulled back about 45minutes late which was quite good considering the arrival time. I thought I saw them take some containers off the aircraft just before embarking and maybe this saved some time but I think it also meant that half the luggage was left behind.
It was quite a quick takeoff and a lot of the bad weather had gone by now so it was smoother.

Again, pretty non-eventful. Good bar service, the seats were nice for a night flight. They recline further than the VS ones, are softer and also have the fold down ears which are a lot better than the LGW fleet as they are firm and you really can lean on them.
The food was definitely the worst I have ever had in my live on an aircraft. The dinner was inedible, the breakfast was a cake and yoghurt. The IFE was also poor.

The CC were happy to apologise for the poor food at every opportunity! They were well-humoured, polite and attentive. My son when embarking commented I like BA planes and the Cabin Services Director tracked me down later and had a joke about it with me and how it was a great advert This is attentive good service based on a comment from a 10 year old.

Sadly I compare this to my last few flights with VS, and they have missed the mark.

To finish the TR, we arrived a bit late due to the late departure and with no luggage! So I only assume that that container I saw removed at ORD included my cases! BUTmy luggage has now arrived in 36 hours at the door, and BA handled it very well and it was a lot easier to get back to the car via the bus and Heathrow Express with only cabin bags!!!!

A final summary vs VS in economy if I may:

Check-In = VS better but still issues with OLCI
Seats = BA in Economy are much better
Food & Drink = VS (food) BA (drinks) a Tie
Entertainment = VS and thats without the all singing and dancing V.Port
Crew = I hate to say this but I always felt that the BA crew could be relied on (sorry)

A tie!!![^][:X][i][:o)][:I][8D][:D]

But Im off again in August to SFO with the wife and sprogs so who nows what will happen in the rematch [xx(][xx(]