#862425 by honey lamb
09 Dec 2013, 18:29
OK, so you’ve read my inbound flights to South Africa and now a couple of trip reports of internal flights there. But before them a little bit of background. I had been joined by my travel buddy, Chris whose first trip it was to South Africa and the first part of our jaunt around that country was a two night trip to a private game reserve. I had done game drives in the past in the Kruger National Park and Hluhluwe but we had not been staying in the parks and I wanted as full-on experience as possible and this seemed to offer it. If anyone wants a full trip report about it, I’d be happy to do one, but for the moment, suffice it to say that in the two days we were there, we had four game drives, two at dawn and two in the late afternoon and I was able to take such photos as these.
SAM_0022.jpg
SAM_0291.jpg
SAM_0328.JPG
SAM_0093.JPG
I’ll post more if you want a TR about it.

Well satisfied with our experiences, Chris and I headed back to Durban and to a typical HL disaster!! Did I hear someone say “Oh, goody goody!”? I thought so. Have you no pity for me? Do you think I create these events solely for your entertainment? I’ve a good mind not to tell you what happened. *sulk* Oh, all right then. You win.

To put this into context, my sister-in-law loves cats. Now those of you who know me, know that I like cats; that I have my own beloved Puss and that I feed a number of feral cats in my garden who reward me by controlling the vermin population in the overgrown gardens that surround my house. Yes, I like cats but my sister-in-law’s love of them borders on obsession. Seeing a cat on the street sends her into transports of delight; a picture of a cat on a wall in a place that she is visiting has the same effect and her three cats are allowed to roam unfettered through the house. In fact, the amazing thing is that she has only three cats - on previous visits she has had five or six. Now don’t get me wrong. I love her to bits. She is warm-hearted and funny and frequently has us in stitches by her observations and she has been a good wife and mother but she does drive us all mad with her cat obsession! OK, you get the picture so on with my tale of woe.

Before we headed off to the game reserve, I decided that I need not bring all my luggage. After all we were returning for one last night before heading down to Port Elizabeth and the Garden Route. So, borrowing a small case from the said sister-in-law, I packed enough for two nights and headed off. Two days later we returned full of our adventures and ready for the next leg of our trip on the morrow. Molly, one of the cats was curled up on top of my case but she posed no threat to me - well until I removed her to get out fresh jammies to go to bed. She, or one of the other cats (or perhaps all of them) had peed all over my case :0 and it stank of cat pee! :$ What was worse, it had seeped through the soft top of the case to the contents. Fortunately the first things encountered were shoes encased in VS shoe bags which acted as a bit of a barrier, but some of the clothes lower down had also copped it! They were easily dealt with as they were transported immediately to the washing machine but to say I was like an anti-Christ was the understatement of the year. xx( My case was a Samsonite but what was more important, it had been given to me as a retirement present by one of my teams who knew of my love of travel and had huge sentimental value to me. However there was no use in losing my rag. What was done was done but I really was upset - especially as the smell of cat pee is so pervasive. I had visions of me travelling around South Africa in a cloud of cat pee! :| My sister-in-law helped to minimise the damage with coming out with the disinfectant bleating that she did not think that Molly had done it. Quite frankly, I didn’t give a sugar who had done it - it didn’t alter the fact that my case stank! And my clothes! And the smell was firmly lodged in my nostrils so that even the headiest of perfumes could not supplant it! Febreze was an unknown brand name to her but fortunately there was baking soda in the house so my case was dredged with that to try and rid the smell! The following day started up hazy but I was able to dry my clothes and also try and rid my case of the smell as the sun beamed down on us. However when I packed I was not entirely convinced that the smell had gone and I had visions of people giving me a wide berth as I approached drenched as I was in Parfum de Chat!

We headed off to King Shaka airport for our flight and on arrival found that it had been delayed by 40 minutes. :(! The inbound was due to arrive ten minutes before our scheduled departure. However we checked in without any problems, except for a delicate wrinkling of the nose from the check-in agent as she processed my bag. From there it was a short hop to security where we were quickly through with the exception of the delicate wrinkling of the nose of the security lady. The machine beeped as I went through but I was hustled away with a swift “That’s OK ma’am”. We headed to the Rhapsody lounge which isn’t a lounge in the full sense of the word but a bar, where we ordered drinks, found that they had free wifi and then decided, because of the delay, to eat dinner rather than wait till we got to PE. It was a good decision. The food was good and reasonably priced and we surfed away to our hearts’ content, catching up with all that had happened in cyberspace because my brother does not have wifi :0

In the fullness of time our plane arrived and we were boarded swiftly. Our boarding was very reminiscent of a flight in Laos a couple of years ago when we were loaded on to a bus and then driven 50 metres to our awaiting plane! Our flight was designated variously as SAA Express or Airlink. It didn’t really matter what it was called but the aircraft was a CRJ which was fine by me with its 2-2 configuration. Once on board, the safety demo was given and we pushed back after an apology from the captain. There had been fog in the morning which had delayed all flights and they were still playing catch-up. We took off and soon the cabin crew came round with snack-boxes which we had come to expect in SE Asia two years ago and in Argentina last year. The contents were a bag of crisps, a bag of mixed nuts and a bag of Filippino mix which Chris appropriated. The crew then came round with beverages and I rather cheekily asked for wine, expecting to have to pay for it. No, I was offered a Cab Sauv or a Merlot and the Merlot was handed over with a glass and without a murmur. y)

The flight, in essence was no longer than a Cork-LHR flight - in other words, less than an hour. We landed in PLZ and the airport reminded me of the old Cork Airport where passengers could easily board the wrong plane. We trudged to the Arrivals area, mingling with passengers leaving the Departures area for a flight to JNB thinking how easy it would be to sneak on board. However neither of us wanted to go to JNB so we stayed on the main course, grabbed our bags and collected our car rental to get to our hotel for the night.

We arrived at the Radisson Blu in PE where we were checked in by the nicest agent you could wish to meet who imperceptibly wrinkled her nose as I went by. :w
#862426 by waatp
09 Dec 2013, 18:41
Oh no HL!!! I have four (rescued) beasties of my own and have had a cat pee in the suitcase just before I went on holiday and the worse thing was I never noticed. Our flight was cancelled so we had to go back home and that's when I noticed it.

I feel for you!! The smell is incredible!

Nothing worse than not being in your own home to sort it either.

But I thank you for a great TR and a wonderful "drama" for a bit of Monday afternoon entertainment!

Plus - I would love a TR of your mini safari - am off to Cape Town next year and while probably not possible for me to be more excited about it, am happy to give it a go with my ideas to whet the appetite.
#862429 by Jacki
09 Dec 2013, 19:37
Another thoroughly entertaining TR ^) - I think the cats in question must have travelled on the Northern Line at some point! :w
#862430 by hiljil
09 Dec 2013, 19:42
Oh dear, what can I say ! How awful for you. (And for those near to you !)
Were you close to the Big Cats or has your camera an excellent zoom ?
#862435 by honey lamb
09 Dec 2013, 20:55
hiljil wrote:Were you close to the Big Cats or has your camera an excellent zoom ?

A bit of both. The camera was a new one bought in South Africa and I hadn't really come to grips with it before we headed off. The pic with the lion on his own was with the zoom (and I must confess to having better ones) but the lions in the deep grass were only 6-10 feet away so it was a combination of both.
#862437 by honey lamb
09 Dec 2013, 21:39
Vegascrazy wrote:Brilliant! I just read that on a packed commuter train and couldn't contain my laughter!!

Tsk, James! My being covered in cat pee is no laughing matter.....

........ well perhaps! :o)
#862441 by gfonk
09 Dec 2013, 23:08
honey lamb wrote:
Vegascrazy wrote:Brilliant! I just read that on a packed commuter train and couldn't contain my laughter!!

Tsk, James! My being covered in cat pee is no laughing matter.....

........ well perhaps! :o)

Lol lol brilliant
Oh HL lol lol
Wow loved it!!!
PS your photos! Would love to see more when you can
#862442 by Bretty
09 Dec 2013, 23:21
>wrinkling nose< I'm sorry HL, that is really funny. Not for you at the time I understand, but cats are pretty much their own masters. We once had an adopted cat that threw up in every room in the house, nor very pleasant but hey ho...

Thanks for a great TR, looking forward to the next instalment.
#862507 by jaguarpig
11 Dec 2013, 14:34
I once had to change a kitchen socket that a cat had performed on,burn cat pee is incredible. I was scrubbing my hands for days, when summoned to that house again I was busy.
Virgin Atlantic