#864578 by Jacki
16 Jan 2014, 09:03
This was my first Emirates flight and having checked VS I put my loyalty on hold and checked out other airlines. EK appeared to provide a good price with the opportunity of arriving late at night both ways, which I had read could help my jet lag.

VS were not offering any sales at the time and EK First was only £500 each way more than J - how could I refuse!

We were leaving early Boxing Day and I had read that the CDC Emirates use called the day before to confirm. I imagined that as this was Christmas Day they would text or call Christmas Eve, but no, in the middle of cooking Christmas Lunch I found myself taking a call to agree the pick up times!

The car arrived early with plenty of space for my luggage (much relief) and within 30 minutes we were dropped off at T3. The check in queues were already very long but The First Class check in was free and I could see a lady and gentleman were talking. As I approached the lady stopped talking and asked me if I was travelling First and on showing her the two tickets she asked for the credit card that I had booked them. I had been told on booking this was not usually requested by should be brought, and as it had expired at this point I had kept it in the travel wallet with the passports just in case.

Suddenly any holiday euphoria I had drained and it started to go wrong. She played with her computer for a while and then said that I had only booked my ticket with this card and I needed to show her another card for my husband. I explained I had booked them at the same time over the phone but she was not interested and the more I insisted she just avoided eye contact and refused to change her stance. She said I would have to wait for another colleague to come on duty at a different desk who would be able to tell me what the second card number was so that I could produce it. With no option left we collected our suitcases and waited for her colleague to arrive. Eventually the colleague appeared and on hearing the story she looked up in the air and said “she does this all the time”! A few taps on her computer and she confirmed the card was the correct one and asked me to go back. We picked up the cases and returned to the original First Class check in where the same women took the card and announced that all was now correct. I asked why it was wrong in the first place and she curtly replied that this was obviously a different card. My husband held my arm tightly to stop me jumping over the desk and strangling her. Her colleague watched my face and quickly took over, checking us in, handing the boarding cards and wishing us a good flight in a matter of seconds!

In the hurry to save me from a murder charge they had forgotten our Fast Track tickets but it was still early and the queue was small. I was aware that the EK lounge did not offer treatments so had booked a facial at the One Lounge. I have to say I was very impressed and the Spa well worth another visit. We then moved on to the EK lounge, which makes one appreciate the CH even more but offered a reasonable breakfast. You board direct from the lounge which is a big plus.

Boarding was on time and initial impression of the Suite was very good. You are greeted at the door and taken to your Suite before being quickly offered the usual drink, hot towel, magazines etc. It was far less OTT than I had imagined and after going through all the buttons and goodies on offer dates and coffee were offered before take off. After take off the FSM came around with the menus and wine list explaining all food was on demand although some cooked dishes would take approximately20 mins. A little later I was asked if I wanted to book a shower. My original thought was that this was just a gimmick but I found myself saying yes and booking it a couple of hours before landing.

The rest of the flight was spent watching films, sleeping in the very comfortable bed and ordering from the extensive menu trying to keep to Sydney time. It’s not fair to compare the Suite with an UCS but whilst the service was very professional I missed the personal touch you get on VS. ICE was a little slow but the sound quality was very good.
I walked down through the J cabin to the bar and the seats looked very spacious and comfortable. Having seen the product on the A380 I would be happy to travel in J in future.

Two hours before landing I was called for my shower. There are two bathrooms for the 12 pax in F and they really do have the wow factor. For size and luxury I have not experienced any like it before. I was told that the shower would last for 8 minutes but I could turn the water off and the clock would stop until it was turned on again. There is a countdown on the shower so you know how long you have left. The shower cabin is a good size, water pressure amazing considering the conditions and the temperature better than some hotel rooms. There is a hairdryer and I did not feel under any time pressures when drying my hair after the shower. When I returned feeling wonderfully refreshed to my Suite there was a plate of fruit waiting for me – I never imagined I would have been so impressed.

This was a short flight (7 hours) so no amenity kits but the bathrooms had supplies of anything you would need so it was not an issue.

On arrival at DXB we headed through immigration to the EK First Class Lounge. Once in the lounge you realise it is really just a huge separate terminal with it’s own duty free shops and boarding gates. Each gate area has a waiter service restaurant or if you prefer a smaller buffet offering. There is also a Sixth Sense Spa offering free treatments. I cannot adequately describe how big this place is but as with all things EK it does lack the fun factor. For the first 2 hours of our stay we appeared to be the only two passengers in the whole lounge but a lot of the A380’s (including ours) were leaving from a difference concourse and I think this lounge was significantly less busy than usual.

To conclude, the Check in at Heathrow was dreadful n( , the lounge competent but give me the CH every time :( , the First Class Suite, on board food, shower, service and DXB lounge were all superb oo) , although an injection of fun would be the icing on the cake. :D
Last edited by Jacki on 16 Jan 2014, 10:54, edited 1 time in total.
#864582 by pjh
16 Jan 2014, 09:21
Jacki wrote:To conclude, ... an injection of fun would be the icing on the cake. :D

I think I'll abandon my in progress TR as that's effectively the same conclusion we had. :) They were clearly very proud of their international crew (on both our flights they announced 20+ nationalities speaking 20++ languages) and can therefore cover the waterfront from a communication point of view but communication was just that, a means of imparting information and not a means of engagement.

On the upside, they were apparently very solicitous and caring of #1 Daughter who flew back before New Year nursing a collossal hangover.

And so the credit card issue is real. I did wonder as lots of people on FT said it's a non issue. I am now glad that I didn't chance it and did go via a Travel Agent as the wrath of MrsPJH had #1 Daughter been stuck in Manchester would not have been pretty.
#864590 by Jacki
16 Jan 2014, 09:52
pjh wrote:
Jacki wrote:To conclude, ... an injection of fun would be the icing on the cake. :D

I think I'll abandon my in progress TR as that's effectively the same conclusion we had. :) They were clearly very proud of their international crew (on both our flights they announced 20+ nationalities speaking 20++ languages) and can therefore cover the waterfront from a communication point of view but communication was just that, a means of imparting information and not a means of engagement.

On the upside, they were apparently very solicitous and caring of #1 Daughter who flew back before New Year nursing a collossal hangover.

And so the credit card issue is real. I did wonder as lots of people on FT said it's a non issue. I am now glad that I didn't chance it and did go via a Travel Agent as the wrath of MrsPJH had #1 Daughter been stuck in Manchester would not have been pretty.

I had been told on booking that they were required to tell me to bring it even if it had expired, but they said it was unusual to be asked. I know from others who have travelled by EK that this is not their experience but exceptionally annoying when it happens. v(

It was just my luck to get an incompetent with a charisma bypass at 0530 hrs before my first cup of coffee - my husband was wondering where he would put "wife strangled EK Employee at LHR check in" on the "anything to declare" form in Sydney! :0
#864662 by Blacky1
16 Jan 2014, 21:33
Thanks for posting , how you didn't strangle her is beyond me .
EK first is the one I've always wanted to try so I enjoyed reading your thoughts on it .
Pjh ,I for one would still like to read a TR from yourself so chop chop !!
#864668 by honey lamb
16 Jan 2014, 21:51
Blacky1 wrote:Thanks for posting , how you didn't strangle her is beyond me .
EK first is the one I've always wanted to try so I enjoyed reading your thoughts on it .

Ahem! You forgot me :#
#864671 by Blacky1
16 Jan 2014, 21:58
honey lamb wrote:
Blacky1 wrote:Thanks for posting , how you didn't strangle her is beyond me .

Ahem! You forgot me :#

On it now HL y)
#864695 by Jacki
17 Jan 2014, 07:06
pjh wrote:

You must finish your TR's as I am really interested to see if Qantas and Emirates flights offered a similar experience. Did you get the option of both lounges in the end? I'm waiting..... :w
#864697 by pjh
17 Jan 2014, 08:39
Jacki wrote:You must finish your TR's as I am really interested to see if Qantas and Emirates flights offered a similar experience.

Nearly done on the Qantas legs...I won't be giving away the ending to say that though Qantas was good and did the job overall Emirates was well ahead.

I have another pair of TRs to work up as we also flew to Ayers Rock, a trip with Virgin Australia which had some interesting features...

Jacki wrote:Did you get the option of both lounges in the end? I'm waiting..... :w

Definitely, emphatically, no at LHR. n( It was the Galleries for us, which though a bit soulless wasn't as bad as I feared. At DXB we got access to the Business area - it isn't really a "lounge" is it?

edited to add: I've just re-read this and wonder how I got the to the position in life where I grade airport lounges. ?| It wasn't so long ago that the only issue for us as a family was could we find some plastic seats together outside WH Smith...
#864699 by gfonk
17 Jan 2014, 09:57
pjh wrote:edited to add: I've just re-read this and wonder how I got the to the position in life where I grade airport lounges. ?| It wasn't so long ago that the only issue for us as a family was could we find some plastic seats together outside WH Smith...

That's brilliant lol
I loved that
It's so true though!!
#864700 by at240
17 Jan 2014, 10:00
Thanks for the TR. The experience at check-in, regardless of the rights and wrongs of it, sounds very very badly handled for a first-class desk. They really should find a better way of dealing with this.

It is interesting that you make that point about 'fun'. I think that highlights a strength and weakness of VS -- it's fine (or great) if you get a bubbly crew, but if you don't, you are looking at an experience decidedly some way behind the best on offer elsewhere. So consistency really matters, and I wonder whether the gradual paring back of the product will motivate crews in quite the same way that the old VS magic used to...

Of course all of that is probably immaterial if VS is not even competing on price...
#864723 by RachelCox
17 Jan 2014, 15:11
Thanks for the TR, the suite and shower sounds utterly fabulous. I hope I get to experience it one day, however I would always have the nagging worry that the minute I got in the shower there would be an emergency and I would have to scramble back to my seat wet and wrapped in a towel.
#864724 by buns
17 Jan 2014, 15:16
Jacki

Thanks for the TR y) y)

For me, i am tempted, but for the moment the VS check In and Clubhouse present some serious challenges to the EK offering. No doubt I can be persuaded ):

buns
#864726 by HWVlover
17 Jan 2014, 15:19
RachelCox wrote:I hope I get to experience it one day, however I would always have the nagging worry that the minute I got in the shower there would be an emergency and I would have to scramble back to my seat wet and wrapped in a towel.

Have no fear Rachel, within the "spa" there is a seat with seat belt. However, I am not sure how the crew checks you are in that seat without actually checking!!!! So, if needs must, you might be advised to wear a towel or more.
):
#864752 by gfonk
17 Jan 2014, 22:34
Daffodil wrote:Thanks for the TR. Would love to try Emirates first one day.

Ditto
Just when we took emirates there were sooo many annoying announcements and really loud too
Really interrupted the IFE. So that put my missus off.
Be interested to know if that is normal or maybe we were unlucky
Anyway fantastic TR
Read it at coffee break earlier but had to "work"
#864767 by Jacki
18 Jan 2014, 03:58
gfonk wrote:
Daffodil wrote:Thanks for the TR. Would love to try Emirates first one day.

Ditto
Just when we took emirates there were sooo many annoying announcements and really loud too
Really interrupted the IFE. So that put my missus off.
Be interested to know if that is normal or maybe we were unlucky
Anyway fantastic TR
Read it at coffee break earlier but had to "work"

I don't recall too many announcements during the flights just the usual pre take-off and landing info plus an occasional arrival time update or notification of turbulence. They were initially in Arabic and then repeated in English but not overly annoying.
#864804 by Jacki
18 Jan 2014, 15:56
horburyflyer wrote:Superb TR, thanks. Really enjoyed reading it.

I sincerely hope the appropriate feedback has been provided to Emirates regarding the check in experience....totally unacceptable :0

Jon

I tried to fill in the customer satisfaction survey form they have on ICE but it appeared to have been disabled! I have therefore written a formal letter of complaint.
Virgin Atlantic