#867986 by CHill710
08 Mar 2014, 16:19
After a few days in the sun and enjoying Radiator Springs Racers at Disney's California Adventure it was time to return home on the A380.

I attempted OLCI however got an error message saying I could not be checked in. :( so I tried the BA app on my iPhone over the hotel wifi and result :) my boarding pass was available for passbook.

After a morning walking around the Anaheim area for a last bit of sunshine and a stock of American sweets and lucky charms breakfast cereal from Target it was time to return not the hotel and await my super shuttle transfer to LAX which I had booked a bit earlier than I needed to as last time I used super shuttle at LAX getting to the airport was a little tight on time.
I was picked up at 3pm and just made 1 stop for a family before arriving in to LAX just as the first BA flight was closing.

Check in was very quick as was security, with the body scanners only needed one arm patted down (should have taken off my watch!).

After a browse of duty free and a burger from umami burger :D I made my way to the gate as G-XLEA arrived.
Anyone flying this route in the future they connect the upper deck air bridge first ;) .

Boarding started as usual with first, business, WT+ and one world gold/silver/bronze/sapphire/ruby/emerald, and special assistance (not a lot left!!)

And then I was in the first section of economy to be called being the back row.

I chose the lower deck so as to be able to sleep leaning against the window as the upper deck has a large space between the seat and window. The problem with that is so does the lower deck :( and with the immovable head restraint there is no option to lean to one side or turn and sit sideways that coupled with the arm rests not going all the way up means you can't comfortably sleep across 3 seats (I was lucky and had a row to myself) so I managed to find a comfortable position contorted in to 2 seats and managed a few hours sleep during the flight.

Boarding was quick and the crew did say welcome on board. I did notice however that all the window blinds were shut :o and that is how they stayed for the whole flight.
I thought there was a CAA or FAA requirement for window blinds to be open and lights off for takeoff and landing. This is not the first BA flight that this has not been done.
(On my last night flight with BA there was an announcement that the lights would be dimmed and then they weren't!)

The crew after takeoff then did a full drinks round full meal round (chicken curry or broccoli pasta) which I declined (can't eat on these flights as it makes my jet lag worse) and then a full duty free round so the lights were turned off 2 1/2 hours after takeoff :o :cry: not good when you need sleep.

Half way through the flight at 4am LA time 11AM UK time there was a ice cream round :o (strange timing!) and through the flight there were 2 water rounds that I was aware of.

At 12:30 UK time the crew came around with a breakfast box containing a croissant (that could have broken a window) and a still half frozen cereal bar (that could break teeth) and a packet of ocean spray craisens.

Landing was 10 mins early at 14:45 but as BA manage their own gates at LHR we were sat at the end of T5C looking down the line of gates waiting for a 777 to depart so we could park on 'our gate' so we ended up 5 mins late on arrival.

I managed to get through immigration quite quickly thanks to not following the croup and boarding the front of the inter terminal tram and then using the E-passport gates where my passport as usual did not work. (I asked if I could put a bet on it not working on my next trip... They said no!) my passport has worked in those gates once in the past 15 times I have used or attempted to use them!

Baggage was out fairly swiftly unlike in LAX on the outbound and I was in a hotel room at the holiday inn express to get over my jet lag before driving back to Dorset by 4:15.

In summary a fair flight with a average BA crew making minimal if any contact with PAX. I do like the A380 but BA's seats would make me choose another operator for economy flights.
BA also didn't use the jet lag fighting lighting that the A380 is fitted with, they used blue lights on boarding with the window side lights on and then turned all of the lights off after the meal service.

BA have not done enough to make me switch airlines so back to VS it is for my trip to NYC next month and from then on.
#867989 by buns
08 Mar 2014, 17:40
Thanks for the return TR y) y)

BA have not done enough to make me switch airlines so back to VS it is for my trip to NYC next month and from then on.

Speaks volumes

Many Thanks

buns
#867990 by hiljil
08 Mar 2014, 17:52
Thanks for the TR . I am not tempted to try BA economy ...