#871640 by benchsmith
28 Apr 2014, 12:35
Well this was a first in a long time of flying from LGW to the little island of Jersey.

As I am based near London Southend Airport SEN, I had been using the Easyjet services from there until they decided to change the days of flying to those which most people do not use now, which I personally believe is a reason as to why they want to get rid of it as when asking them as to why they changed they could not provide an answer. Others have also gone back to them and asked as it was a very popular route for a lot of people I know and they have now decided not to fly with them due to the inconvenience of the days they have chosen to operate the aircraft.

Anyway rant over and done with there.

We stayed the night before in the Premier Inn North Terminal at Gatwick and it was an ok price a little more expensive than normal but was ok. We arrived a little laters than normal around 9pm and checked in with masses of people and children everywhere on a Thursday evening.

We were only there until 5am when we had to get up and leave to go to the check in to check a bag in and head through.

Check in was straightforward no problems and hardly any queue.

The security at the north terminal reminds me of the old days at the south terminal and the horrors that were, saying that we were through in about 15 minutes.

The terminal was heaving the otherside and we headed to Jamies kitchen I think it is where we had a sausage sarnie and diet coke which was all served eaten and paid within 25 minutes of entering the restaurant maybe even quick would definitely recommend for a quick bite to eat and ok food.

At this point it was time to head to the gate awaiting boarding.

We headed to gate 55D where our aircraft G-EZBC was awaiting out departure.

We were boarded onto the flight in good time and pushed back 10 minutes early.

We then had a quick taxi and straight onto the run way and up on the air for a very uneventful take off.

The ascent was a little bumpy but was to be expected given the weather was raining and very cloudy.

The flight was smooth once we had leveled out and the nornal trolley service began including the service of the boutique magazine items.

We were before we knew it on our descent into Jersey where we came straight in and parked up with a very speedy disembarking and the bags arrived quite promptly too.

The flight time overall was 35 minutes compared to the time that was advertised of 1 hour.

It was a very good service from Gatwick by EasyJet to Jersey however it is a shame that they no longer fly on the most convenient days for most passengers.

Our return flight is today and will hopefully post some details up within the next week.
#871646 by pjh
28 Apr 2014, 13:16
Thanks for the TR. How does travelling EasyJet feel now they have assigned seating? Is the gate experience any less fraught?

benchsmith wrote:As I am based near London Southend Airport SEN, I had been using the Easyjet services from there until they decided to change the days of flying to those which most people do not use now, which I personally believe is a reason as to why they want to get rid of it as when asking them as to why they changed they could not provide an answer. Others have also gone back to them and asked as it was a very popular route for a lot of people I know and they have now decided not to fly with them due to the inconvenience of the days they have chosen to operate the aircraft.

A bit like them saying "there was no demand, as we have told 100's of people who have phoned up to complain".

I presume EasyJet will align its equipment to routes that produce the greatest yield.

Jersey services from all airlines seem to chop and change fairly regularly. One of my wife's friends lives there and seems to have experience of most of the airports in the south east of ENgland...
#871691 by benchsmith
28 Apr 2014, 22:14
The allocated seating side of things has worked really well and works better from Gatwick than Southend but there is still the rush that everyone has to get on although to be honest it doesn't really matter but people can't tend to grasp that fact.

The whole flight experience is great but yeah just the initial boarding process of the crowds but it's low cost so sort of expect it slightly.

Yeah it is a bit strange though as the yields going out from SEN were always 90% full on a Friday and Monday however now on a Tuesday and Thursday they are lucky to get 50% yields. I know it is a short route and can be easily fitted into other routes but they have an aircraft sitting on the apron most of the time without it being in revenue service, to me I would find a way of utilizing that aircraft and crew to make the most of the equipment and staffing available to me to be able to make as much of a profit as possible, but hey lol I am only a little person in a big pond.