#941171 by julmops
25 Jan 2018, 21:35
After a few days in New York and a fabulous cruise in the Caribbean, it was time to head back home.
Our flight was leaving at 4.25pm so we left our hotel on Times Square about 12.30 and having encountering some bad traffic due to Women’s March in Manhattan, we actually got to JFK just about 1.30pm.
Check-in was quite with only 2 couples in front of us in Sky Priority. We were checked-in by a lovely French lady who spoke French to us, it was a nice little touch.
Through the TSA agent, which had a massive cold and was pretty miserable but I wouldn’t blame her …
Security was pretty quick and we were on our way to the Air France lounge, which is next to Gate 1 in JFK’s Terminal 1.
Lounge is spacious, on 2 floors. Buffet is composed of a nice choice of breads, cheeses, cold cuts, 2 soups and a few other bits and bobs. Not sure if it would become more substantial on meal times but it was perfectly adequate at the time we were there. Air France has a Clarins Spa in the lounge and you can get a complimentary 20 minutes face and hand treatment, which was wonderful.
We decided to walk to the gate a little early and got there just when boarding was starting.
We were in the plane in minutes and settle in 4A and 5A on a 777-300ER, which has the new business class seat. The seat plan is 1-2-1 and feels a bit more cramped than the 2-2-2 on the A380.
The seat is more modern and goes full flat but I can’t help thinking that I actually preferred the A380 non full flat seat.
We were offered champagne, water and OJ. Once again it was Joseph Perrier Cuvee Royale Brut and absolutely delicious.
We pushed back on time and after a short taxi we took off with a predicted flight time of just under 6 hours.
Service started shortly after with a full bar service with little butter twists that went down so well with the champagne.
Dinner was served as follows:
Gourmet appetizer with seasonal salad – Pan seared scallops on a bed of fennel and orange salad, Parma-style ham, melon and grilled artichoke
Main dishes:
• Pan seared tournedos with garlic butter, flat beans with butter and mushroom risotto
• Salmon with fennel, chickpeas and sumac
• Porcini ravioli
We also had 2 types of cheese served on the trey with the rest.
Finally dessert was:
• Strawberry cake
• Chocolate orange brownie
• Lemon shortbread
All served bite size with a choice of sorbets and fresh fruit salad.
All wines were the same as on our flight out, please refer to my previous TR for the details.
It was all fine but not the same level of the meal on the outbound flight but I was expecting it.
We were helped over the Atlantic by very strong tail winds and I decided to get a little sleep before it was too late.
I found the seat being extremely uncomfortable on the flat position and could only nap for about an hour. I eventually gave up and just watched some French TV program instead.
Breakfast was served about 75 minutes before landing and it was entirely customizable via a little form received at the same time as the menu and that you could fill with your preferences.
Let me detail all the choices:
• Tea
• Coffee
• Hot Chocolate
• Milk
• Orange juice
• Yogurt
• Fresh fruits
• Fresh bakery selection
• Breakfast pastries
• Butter
• Jam
• Honey
You could also choose the “Café croissant comme a Paris” option, which pretty much was it said on the tin, a coffee with a croissant.
I thought it was a brilliant idea to stay away from anything eggy as it’s a dangerous game at best of times.
We landed in Charles de Gaulle at 4.45am, a good 55 minutes early, thanks to those powerful tail winds.
We were in the first 5 to get out of the plane and straight into a completely deserted airport for our connection to London.
Once again, a great experience. Not as thrilling as the outbound flight but still a very good product with great service.
I will definitely fly Air France business class again, whenever I can.
The last flight was a short hop to London and really uneventful but the Air France lounge in Terminal 2E is great, with beautiful self-service showers and a great breakfast array.
#941180 by hiljil
26 Jan 2018, 09:22
Thank you for the next leg of your TR. I was really interested to read your positive comments about Air France.