#120557 by mike-smashing
01 Jun 2006, 10:38
Originally posted by catsilversword
Shame BT is still coming up with cr@ppy excuses then - 'something to do with the distance your line is from the exchamge' - sigh... by the way, I recently watched a thingy on IT in Korea, where 100mb appears to be the norm..... yeah, made me sit up as well!

Yep, that's common in some parts of Scandinavia as well. It's largely because there's a lot of multi-tenant buildings (i.e. huge apartment blocks/complexes).

The carrier can run fibre into the basement of the building, run Gigabit Ethernet (or 10 Gig Ethernet) on this fibre, and then break it out on an access switch/router into 100M ethernet connections to each dwelling. It's probably cheaper for them to do this than deploy DSL, too.

Cheers,
Mike
#120559 by mitchja
01 Jun 2006, 10:50
8Mb is the fastest the BT equipment will run at now as well. If BT want to go any faster they will have to look at ADSL2+ or other DSL technology, which means upgrading/replacing all the DSL equipment in every exchange (yet again)

Been on the upto 8Mb now for several weeks. It took well over 2 weeks to calm down and reach a stable speed so dont expect the speed to increase straight away. Getting around 6Mb speeds here (I'm 250 metres away from my exchange). During peak times (16:00 - 20:00) is can go down to <3Mb so contention plays a big part in MaxDSL (which BT and the ISP's said it would).

Regards
#120779 by catsilversword
02 Jun 2006, 06:52
Originally posted by mike-smashing
Originally posted by catsilversword
Shame BT is still coming up with cr@ppy excuses then - 'something to do with the distance your line is from the exchamge' - sigh... by the way, I

Yep, that's common in some parts of Scandinavia as well. It's largely because there's a lot of multi-tenant buildings (i.e. huge apartment blocks/complexes).

The carrier can run fibre into the basement of the building, run Gigabit Ethernet (or 10 Gig Ethernet) on this fibre, and then break it out on an access switch/router into 100M ethernet connections to each dwelling. It's probably cheaper for them to do this than deploy DSL, too.

Cheers,
Mike

Thanks for the explanation Mike - only flaw with that is that I don't live in a high-rise or Scandinavia, but a ordinary house in a low-density population area - so wonder what else BT could come up with for the reason? Or would that be something to do with increased speeds only being available if there's an 'R' in the month???;)