#11602 by Nottingham Nick
22 Mar 2006, 13:37
I have just had an email from virgin.net to say that I am shortly going to get a free upgrade from 2mb to 8mb. [8D]

It does however say that this is subject to a 'line speed check'. Are normal BT lines capable of receiving data at this speed?

Nick
#107645 by mcuth
22 Mar 2006, 13:50
Originally posted by Nottingham Nick
Are normal BT lines capable of receiving data at this speed?

As always with ADSL, it depends on the line quality, distance from exchange, exchange capacity, etc.. etc... blah blah blah [ii] For instance, my line's limited to 2mbps at the moment, but I understand that BT are rolling out exchange upgrades too. PlusNet have advised that as soon as my line can take increased capacity, I'll get an upgrade to whatever the max is at that time...:)[y]

Cheers

Michael
#107650 by mitchja
22 Mar 2006, 14:06
BT are indeed currently in the process of upgrading most UK exchanges to 8Mb which should be complete by the end of March. The initial testing phase for 8Mb DSL (DSLMax) gave on average of around 6.1Mb download speeds. The upload speeds are also increased as well from 256k to around 488K isn't it?

As Michael says Plus.net are upgrading everybody to MaxDSL FOC from April 1st as well.

Once 8mb DSL is enabled on your line, your DSL speed will set itself automatically at the most suitable speed during the first few days of operation based on your line stats. Bear in mind this could be anywhere between 512K and upto 8Mb (nearer 6Mb though)

Regards
#107653 by Nottingham Nick
22 Mar 2006, 14:10
Thanks chaps. [y][y]

Since posting, I have been onto BT.com and found that my exchange currently supports 2mb. I hope that it is upgraded soon... having said that, I still think 2mb is pretty damn fast. :D:D
#107664 by Gelding
22 Mar 2006, 15:03
It's been a while since I have had DSL (now on a private residence ISP) but 8meg should be possible on most lines. As Mcuth says its all about distance from exchange, capacity etc. The difference to 8MB is a pretty big jump and you will notice it on most downloads. However at the mo its seems to be a bit of a mixed bag on site bandwidth, with most places rarely giving you the full benefits on 8meg.[n]

Still as they say up north, summat for nowt.....
#107677 by locutus
22 Mar 2006, 15:21
V-flyer on 20Mbps down and 1Mbps up is quite quick [:w]

(Bulldog ISP on Poplar exchange)
#110219 by mitchja
05 Apr 2006, 12:45
As of April 1st all but 1 telephone exchange in the UK is now 8MB DSL ready. The unlucky exchange is Sheffield, which is still been worked on.

Plus.net the ISP I'm with, are upgrading all 2MB DSL customers for free on their next billing date and are charging the same as they do for their 2MB products.

Although as their are huge numbers of orders going though at the moment and BT are also limiting the numbers of re-grade orders per week, it might take up to a month for you to actually get upto 8MB.

Other ISP's are also upgrading customers automatically so it's worth checking with your ISP.

One thing to point out is that once you do get upto 8MB DSL, your actual line speed can take upto 24 hours to reach the higher speeds. This is due to the Data Rate taking time to alter across the BT DSL network, so dont panic if you are still getting 2MB speeds the day you switch over. Most DSL modems and routers will tell you at what speed you are connected at but you should get notification from your ISP anyway once your MaxDSL order has been processed.

You also shouldn't need a new modem or router either as most will work upto 8Mb as they are.

You can check to see what speed your BT phone line is capably of receiving by entering your BT phone number into the box on this page

Regards
#110225 by preiffer
05 Apr 2006, 12:57
Just tried both bulldog and my existing ISP's availability checker for the two landlines I have - both still indicate a max. of 2MB? [?]
#110226 by mitchja
05 Apr 2006, 13:00
I get:

Your exchange is ADSL enabled, and our initial test on your line indicates that your line should be able to have an ADSL broadband service that provides a line rate up to 2Mbps.

Our test also indicates that your line should be able to support a potential ADSL Max broadband line rate of 6.5Mbps up to 8Mbps.

The actual ADSL Max line rate supportable will be determined during the first 10 days of use, after which time the highest stable rate possible will be set.

on entering my phone number into the BT Broadband web site.

Regards
#110227 by preiffer
05 Apr 2006, 13:03
Nope - don't see that on either number (both on different exchanges, neither in Sheffield... [:I])
#110228 by mitchja
05 Apr 2006, 13:06
Hmmmmmmm strange Paul, what does this web site come up with when you enter your exchange code [:?]

Regards
#110232 by mitchja
05 Apr 2006, 13:22
Both do say 'ADSL Max status: Enabled (Green)' so you should be able to get upto 8Mb as there are no longer any line stat limits or distance limits with MaxDSL. Mine is here BTW which shows the same as yours.

Maybe BT havn't updated their database yet which is where the checker web sites get their data from, although this was supposed to have been updated from Monday.

Regards
#110243 by Bazz
05 Apr 2006, 14:31
When I upgraded my BT ADSL to 2mb I had to agree to a new 12 month contrick - I suppose they try the same for the 8mb?
#110244 by mitchja
05 Apr 2006, 14:41
Barry

I believe Plus.net will upgrade you and just let you carry on with your existing contrick. I'm on currently a monthly contract though.

Edit...just pulled this from the Plus.net site regarding MaxDSL upgrades:

ThereÕs no upgrade fee or change to subscription and you will not be asked to begin a new 12 month contract. You donÕt even need to change any settings

Regards
#110250 by Bazz
05 Apr 2006, 15:38
Thanks James, I will take a closer look. My exchange is ready and we are close to the exchange so should not be a problem with the connection.

Barry
#110251 by catsilversword
05 Apr 2006, 15:46
I can't even get 2mb! Last year,got an email from BT, nay, a fanfare, saying I would shortly be getting my service upgraded to 2mb, then another one saying my BT line couldn't support it! I spoke to various people at BT, who were, to a single person, as much use as a chocolate teapot. Bad enough that my line woun't support the increased speed - but my argument is why do I have to pay for that speed when I can't receive it? I noticed their packages were carefully designed not to include this speed anymore....

I also had the audacity to ask when they would be changing things, so I could get the higher speed? Well, dear reader, you might have gussed that no such plans exist, would cost too much money! Oh, for goodness sake, I don't live out in the sticks for heaven's sake.

Wish I could get cable, I'd drop BT like a shot....[ii]
#110252 by catsilversword
05 Apr 2006, 15:47
Originally posted by mcuth
Originally posted by Nottingham Nick
Are normal BT lines capable of receiving data at this speed?

As always with ADSL, it depends on the line quality, distance from exchange, exchange capacity, etc.. etc... blah blah blah [ii] For instance, my line's limited to 2mbps at the moment, but I understand that BT are rolling out exchange upgrades too. PlusNet have advised that as soon as my line can take increased capacity, I'll get an upgrade to whatever the max is at that time...:)[y]

Cheers

Michael

That right Michael? God, I so hope so.... I feel like the poor relation [:(] How did you hear, did you call them or read it somewhere?
#110255 by catsilversword
05 Apr 2006, 16:05
Well, I'm stunned. I just checked out the BT site and input my number, seems Michael is totally right and I can now get a speed of up to 3.5mg! I called BT, and naturally, it's not as simple as an automatic changeover, I have to call sales and migrate my account PLUS pay for my broadband via my phone bill. Not ecstatic about that, but hey.

One thing occurs to me though - I made a complant last December and they agreed to crop the pirce of my service for a year, BUT am tied into it for a year. I hope that doesn't preclude my getting the higher speed - it's the same BT package....

Thanks Michael - I came in just to have a mooch, last thing I expected was to get good news like that! [:X]
#110345 by mcuth
05 Apr 2006, 20:41
Originally posted by catsilversword
Thanks Michael - I came in just to have a mooch, last thing I expected was to get good news like that! [:X]

You're welcome - but you're stunned that I was right? :D
I'd be sorely tempted to move away from BT as your broadband supplier - if they're going to put you through that much hassle, you might as well get a better deal elsewhere ;)

Cheers

Michael
#110496 by catsilversword
06 Apr 2006, 06:57

You're welcome - but you're stunned that I was right? :D
I'd be sorely tempted to move away from BT as your broadband supplier - if they're going to put you through that much hassle, you might as well get a better deal elsewhere ;)

Cheers

Michael

LOL - nah, stunned that BT had started to react at all - and well you know it! [:X]

I've got a reminder on my pc, to look at alternatives when my year's tie-in is coming to the end. Anyone have any recommendation? As I think I said before, we don't have cable here, so will have to use the BT line. I've of course seen various ads for other ISPs, but would welcome some real feedback.
#110512 by mcuth
06 Apr 2006, 09:15
LOL - nah, stunned that BT had started to react at all - and well you know it! [:X]

Hehehe, yeah, they're a nightmare [ii]

Anyone have any recommendation? As I think I said before, we don't have cable here, so will have to use the BT line. I've of course seen various ads for other ISPs, but would welcome some real feedback.

At the risk of repeating myself....:D.....I've used PlusNet for the last 2 years and they've been nothing short of excellent for me.

Cheers

Michael
#110544 by csparker
06 Apr 2006, 11:26
Cat,
Since mcuth hasn't offered, PM me your e-mail address and I will properly recommend PlusNet to you!
#110623 by catsilversword
06 Apr 2006, 16:44

Hehehe, yeah, they're a nightmare [ii]

Anyone have any recommendation? As I think I said before, we don't have cable here, so will have to use the BT line. I've of course seen various ads for other ISPs, but would welcome some real feedback.

At the risk of repeating myself....:D.....I've used PlusNet for the last 2 years and they've been nothing short of excellent for me.

Cheers

Michael

With a BT line?

BT a nightmare? I don't think that quite describes it for me, I'm trying to come up with some superlatives! Could write a book on them. In several volumes.... [:(!]
#110758 by mcuth
07 Apr 2006, 00:12
With a BT line?

Yes - just because it's a BT line doesn't mean you have to go with them for everything ;) Of course it's often "easier" because then you have everything on one bill, but it's rarely cheaper.

As part of the deregulation of the phone industry, the consumer is empowered to use any company they want as a voice call provider (e.g. companies that provide cheaper international calls), ISP (Internet Service Provider), etc... It's a lot like the power industry deregulation - it doesn't matter who owns the pipe supplying your house, you can have anyone you want supply the energy you need and they bill you the service charge & energy charge directly (they just pay the "pipe owner" a usage fee).

Up until I moved house, I used to get 3 different bills per month - BT, ISP & international call provider (now it's just BT & ISP, since the international call provider was no longer economic) :D

The difference is that with BT's monopolistic position, they've continued to be able to charge for the line rental, no matter who your calls are routed through, and your provider would bill you for calls only. I believe that's starting to change though.

BTW, as csparker says, I can also refer you to PlusNet (as can mitchja), oh and I've just put in to upgrade my account to the "up to 8mb" product at the end of the month :D

BT a nightmare? I don't think that quite describes it for me, I'm trying to come up with some superlatives! Could write a book on them. In several volumes.... [:(!]

I've only dealt with them for residential calls (i.e. not as an ISP) - they're bad enough for that, but I've heard worse about them as an ISP [n]

Cheers

Michael
Virgin Atlantic