#12318 by PVGSLF
23 Apr 2006, 00:41
I listened to the Led Zepplin program on BBC Radio 2 tonight. During which I realised here was a band I was absolutely mad about and they greatly influenced my own bands music 15 odd years ago, but now I can't remember the last time I listened to one of their songs, let alone a whole albumn, or their complete works. As I used to many a time. So I started to ponder why this was....

Was it because I'd grown out of those drunken nights, lazing around on mates floors listening to music? Maybe, but I still manage to achieve the drunken nights.

Was it because in busy adult life I can't find the time to listen to music? No, music is so portable now that you can have music wherever you are at any time.

And there in lies the problem. Music is just too portable these days. I can take my entire albumn collection with me wherever I go. And because I hate making decisions, I just let the Ipod choose what I listen too.
So if out of 5000 odd tracks on the pod, maybe less then 100 are of Led Zepplin. All things being equally that is a worse than 1 in 50 chance of the ipod picking a led zepplin track. And of course it is a random selection so there is every chance that it might play 4900 other tracks before getting to a LZ track.

SO! I hearby vow to ban the random selector and start making decisions again. Either that or I'm going back to my rather limited cassette tape walkman days!
#113720 by RichardMannion
23 Apr 2006, 14:19
Guessing a purchase of an IPod shuffle is not imminent then....

Thanks,
Richard
#113731 by Nottingham Nick
23 Apr 2006, 14:50
The easy way round it is to create a playlist of your favourites, or create different playlists to suit your mood / situation.

One for the car, one for the gym, one for walking round Tesco etc. etc. ;)[}:)]:D:D
#113746 by MarkJ
23 Apr 2006, 18:19
What did you used to play PV?
#113860 by PVGSLF
24 Apr 2006, 10:38
Originally posted by MarkJ
What did you used to play PV?

I play drums. Still do, but it is now only for a fun workout in the Garage[:(]. The trouble with being a keen traveller is that lack of time back home to commit to playing in a band.
#113862 by MarkJ
24 Apr 2006, 10:43
Me too - also a bit of guitar and Bass - I dont currently hav a kit but was thinking of investing in one of the Roland electroinic set ups so I can play along to stuff and NOT annoy the neighbours!!
Virgin Atlantic