#12459 by mcmbenjamin
30 Apr 2006, 00:39
So my roommate's XBox got 'stolean.' Personally I think one of my other roommate's friends has it. Drama. Is there anyway that the XBox Live people could track it down if connected to the internet?

I just use MS FlightSim. Call me simple.
#115072 by mitchja
30 Apr 2006, 10:48
Not knowing anything about XBoxes here though sorry but I guess it could be tracked down when connected if it uses a static IP address or has a MAC address (but you would need to know what either of these were before though) [:?]

Regards
#115073 by RichardMannion
30 Apr 2006, 11:30
Hi Benjamin,

Sorry to hear about your friends stolen Xbox 360 [:#]

Each Xbox (Classic and 360) does indeed have a MAC address, I can't remember if the shipping box has it referenced. If your room mate uses XBox Live, obviously that will try and sign in, and could potential create an audit trail; and your friend will want his Live account details preserved - so I would give Xbox support a call on:

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/support/contact/

Also, bit late now, but Xbox 360's have a Kensington slot on them. Therefore you can use something like this to lock it down to something - click here

Thanks,
Richard

{mcuth: edited to shorten link}
#115097 by mcmbenjamin
30 Apr 2006, 16:09
Thank you James and Richard. My first thought was the MAC address and to get it from cross referencing it with the serial number or other numbers on the box. My hope is that the Xbox Live people record some details when he signs on and could track the device.

Thanks again and will let him know of your suggestions.