#12545 by PVGSLF
04 May 2006, 09:27
I just got the latest newsletter in from Maplin and they are now offering replacement ipod batteries (including hi capacity) for all generations at a very reasonable price (£20), with complete fitting instructions.:D

Though it is not a job for the digitally challenged![:?]
#115757 by Bazz
04 May 2006, 10:17
Thanks for sharing Simon, I am sure there will be a lot of takers at that price [y]
#115797 by daywalker
04 May 2006, 13:25
It's dead easy to put a new Ipod battery in if you have those instructions, £20 is a bargain too.
#115828 by PVGSLF
04 May 2006, 15:33
Good to hear it is easy
Though i'm pretty methodical about running the battery well down and fully recharging. Mine is two years old now and still manages a good 6-8hours.
But I've now got an ipod compatible head unit in my car which is great, but is constantly charging the battery back to full, so this may lead to problems later.
#115832 by Pete
04 May 2006, 15:55
Thanks for the tip. I've ordered one for my 3G iPod, which can't seem to hold a charge much longer than 1/2 hour these days.

Pete
#115835 by Bazz
04 May 2006, 16:04
To save you guys precious time here is a link to the correct page on the Maplin website. [y]
#115836 by preiffer
04 May 2006, 16:09
Oooh - some are on offer - £14.99 for a 3G! [y]

I wonder if Apple will have a problem with this - they have a slightly more expensive "battery replacement programme" of their own... [:w]
#115841 by Pete
04 May 2006, 16:36
Hmmm... who's richer, Steve Jobs or Bill Gates ;)
#115842 by preiffer
04 May 2006, 16:47
Ah, who's company is worth more at the moment, Steve Jobs' or Michael Dell's ;)[:I]
#115843 by RichardMannion
04 May 2006, 16:59
Man, DELL stock has tanked! Obviously AAPL stock is still in fashion at the moment.

Thanks,
Richard
#116220 by Jon B
06 May 2006, 12:55
Originally posted by PVGSLF
Good to hear it is easy
Though i'm pretty methodical about running the battery well down and fully recharging. Mine is two years old now and still manages a good 6-8hours.
But I've now got an ipod compatible head unit in my car which is great, but is constantly charging the battery back to full, so this may lead to problems later.

Can confirm this will lead to problems long term with the memory effect of the battery, Ni cad batteries always suffered from this and despite the claims made by manufacturers NiMh cells also suffer along with all other forms of rechargeable batteries.

Although I own an ipod and it's true they are a very good piece of kit this is the one area that could have been so much better if only they had gone down the primary battery route! My wife gets 15 hours plus on her MP3 from one AAA cell vs around 6 hours on my ipod.
#116285 by Gelding
06 May 2006, 19:27
OK just been to maplins to buy one for my 3G Ipod.

Now, the instructions that come with this thing are fairly cack so i found the following link on the web.

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/ipod/bat ... vice/#1424

There are various vids for each generation showing you how to fit it. Dont worry about the differing product names as they seem to be the same as the maplins ones.

One more thing to note is that the plastic tools they give you are rubbish. They are just too soft and thick to "break" into the ipod. Use (VERY CAREFULLY!!) a nice thin kitchen knife and insert it about 60mm from the top of the ipod. Once in slide the knife towards the metal part of the ipod so it slides under the metal part. Now lever up the metal part so you can get the plastic tool in. Then follow the video its very well explained!

Of course each to there own but i used the knife cos my Ipod seemed to be welded shut!

Overall getting in is the hardest part, once thats done its a piece of cake. Good luck to those that try it. [y]
#116329 by PVGSLF
06 May 2006, 22:01
Thanks for the advice and link Gelding... I'm glad I posted the Maplin tip now [:o)]

My Ipod is a central feature of my Car, My Moutain bike, my living room, my bedroom and my office. So I would be lost without it!
#129622 by Nottingham Nick
29 Jul 2006, 11:12
Thanks to Simon for the tip. [y][y]

I have taken the plunge, and got the replacement.

I have to agree with others, getting into the case is the hardest part, but with a little patience, it is a fairly straight forward operation.

I am pleased to report, that the transplant has been successful and I have a battery that lasts more than a couple of hours again. :D[8D][}:)]

Nick
Virgin Atlantic