#12555 by rcslt
04 May 2006, 18:57
You guys are now my only hope, saving me from sanity and from growing even more grey hair. I am having a slight problem with my beloved iPod

When I connect my iPod to my computer via a USB cable, the following error message comes up.

"USB Device Not Recognized
One of the USB devices attached to this computer has malfunctioned, and Windows does not recognize it. For assistance for solving this problem, click this message."

And when I click on the message, a popup comes up and says,

"USB Device Not Recognized
One of the USB devices attached to this computer has malfunctioned, and Windows does not recognize it.
The location of the device is shown in bold type.
Recommendation
Try reconnecting the device. If Windows still does not recognize the device, replace the device."

And the iPod comes up as Unknown Device on this menu. I've tried reconnecting the device. And don't happen to have an extra USB cable, so I couldn't try it with another cable.

Would anyone like to help me out here? Please[:#] This is driving me crazy.
#115869 by RichardMannion
04 May 2006, 19:06
Is ITunes installed on the PC? As the device drivers are pushed in as part of the install.

Thanks,
Richard
#115870 by PVGSLF
04 May 2006, 19:07
I had this for a while. I think it was after I had configured an ipod mini and then reverted back to my regular 20GB ipod.

i can remember how I solved it [:I]

Perhaps reinstalling the drivers and itunes software on your PC.

I'm sure someone here will remember!
#115872 by PVGSLF
04 May 2006, 19:09
Beat me too it Richard!
#115876 by rcslt
04 May 2006, 19:21
Originally posted by RichardMannion
Is ITunes installed on the PC? As the device drivers are pushed in as part of the install.

Thanks,
Richard

Yep iTunes is on my PC. This fault suddenly appeared one morning.
#115891 by Juliet
04 May 2006, 20:19
You may need to upgrade to the most recent itunes, or there may be an updated ipod driver available.... otherwise...... have you restarted your computer?

[ducking and running to avoid flying debris...]

(My machine is always on, until something does not work, then the old three fingered salute usually sorts out the issues)
#115898 by rcslt
04 May 2006, 20:42
Originally posted by David_C_H_1
you may get some help here.
http://www.apple.com/support/

With this particular problem the apple website has been useless, the forum is full of people with the same problem.

I have downloaded the most recent iTunes and Ipod updater, nothing is working. I have shut the PC down and even prayed [:0]

I believe a drink is in order this evening (smiling through gritted teeth) and have another go later on.

Thanks.
#115899 by RichardMannion
04 May 2006, 20:57
Try going to Device Manager, and select the device and then right-click and Uninstall teh Device. Then Right Click the computer name, and Select 'Scan for hardware changes' and see if this resolves the issue.

Thanks,
Richard
#115908 by rcslt
04 May 2006, 21:59
Richard, that was suggested on another website and have tried it, and it still doesn't work. I have been recommended to connect my iPod to another computer with iTunes then come back to my PC. I am willing to try anything at the moment.
#115915 by RichardMannion
04 May 2006, 22:13
Have you tried another USB device int he socket to make sure it is not hte USB port that is broken?

Failing that, the device INF maybe corrupt. Have you tried a hard reset of the IPod?

Thanks,
Richard
#115930 by rcslt
04 May 2006, 23:01
Originally posted by RichardMannion
Have you tried another USB device int he socket to make sure it is not hte USB port that is broken?

Failing that, the device INF maybe corrupt. Have you tried a hard reset of the IPod?

Thanks,
Richard

Just tried that, thanks for the suggestion but nothing new to report. I will try the INF.
#116000 by Bazz
05 May 2006, 10:35
Rcslt, going back to your original post, although it is extremely unlikely to be the cable, it would be worth your while buying (or borrowing) another cable purely to rule it out as the possible source of your troubles.

Trouble shooting in IT is often a matter of trial and error, testing each component; hardware, software, etc., until the problem is identified, a PITA we know but there is no easy route.
#116237 by rcslt
06 May 2006, 14:17
Thank you to all those who have suggested ways of finally cracking this problem, the solution turned out to be a strange one and I am still a little perplexed how/why it worked. However, I am not going to think too hard about it as it now works. [:?]

I asked my brother to bring his iPod round, same generation as mine and dock it with my PC and viola it worked. Immediately I thought it was my iPod was defunct as his worked. I then tried mine and now all is fine. The only loser in all of this is my brother who now has my song collection on his iPod and will have to wait to he gets home so he can finally get rid of my music. :D
#116263 by Nottingham Nick
06 May 2006, 17:26
Glad it all worked out well in the end. [y]

Icing on the cake would be for your brother to find some good new music. :D:D

Nick
#116300 by rcslt
06 May 2006, 19:49
Originally posted by Nottingham Nick
Glad it all worked out well in the end. [y]

Icing on the cake would be for your brother to find some good new music. :D:D

Nick

Nick, I doubt he would like my music. I am crossing my fingers that when he gets home his connection works and that he isn't stuck with my music. Now, that really would be a shame[:I]
#119858 by rcslt
27 May 2006, 00:03
Some of you have been very kind to help me with my many iPod & iTunes problems. I have to tell you all now that the day has arrived when I believe nothing more can be done except for a ceremonial burning! [V]

This time I have just plugged in my iPod to upload a number of albums I have downloaded and I get the message "This iPod needs to be reformatted for use on your PC. Click on the Update button below to run the iPod Updater application that will allow you to reformat or restore you iPod" I press Update and after a a minute or so I then get the message "Firmware update failure. Disk write error" On the iPod screen there is a file icon with an exclamation mark. I have followed all the advice from the apple website and nothing has worked.

Has anybody else had this problem and found a solution? If not, then the iPod gets it![}:)]

Many thanks,
#119862 by Juliet
27 May 2006, 00:12
Which iPod is it? One of the older ones (or Mini) which has a hard drive (and moving parts?) or one of the newer ones?
#119863 by rcslt
27 May 2006, 00:15
Originally posted by Juliet
Which iPod is it? One of the older ones (or Mini) which has a hard drive (and moving parts?) or one of the newer ones?

It is an iPod Colour. Only 18 months old.
#119864 by Juliet
27 May 2006, 00:18
Does the iPod work normally, just not load new music? Or has the entire thing 'crashed and burned'? If it plays normally, be sure you have all the music backed up somewhere (well, if you can't get it to attach there is probably no way to rectify that... but you know what I mean) you may want to follow the reset instructions which will wipe everything out.
#119866 by Juliet
27 May 2006, 00:26
You might want to look at this site, where you can get them to fix (replace with a new hard-drive) your iPod, for less than the cost of a new one.....iPod repairs

or possibly look at this fix your own
(if you are happy to void a warranty......) although I cannot advise officially using a screwdriver on the little beastie, sometimes your own ingenuity can work wonders! [|:)][i][:0]
#119867 by rcslt
27 May 2006, 00:26
Does the iPod work normally, just not load new music? Or has the entire thing 'crashed and burned'? If it plays normally, be sure you have all the music backed up somewhere (well, if you can't get it to attach there is probably no way to rectify that... but you know what I mean) you may want to follow the reset instructions which will wipe everything out.

It doesn't do anything now. If I press anything the apple logo comes up and then it changes to the image of the file and the exclamation mark. All the music is stored on iTunes on my PC which is fine. It won't let me restore it comes up with the same warning about the disk write error.
#119869 by Juliet
27 May 2006, 00:27
sounds like you have a duff hard drive. see the post above....
#119871 by rcslt
27 May 2006, 00:31
sounds like you have a duff hard drive. see the post above....

It does sound like the iPod is duff. Thanks for the links. [y]
#119872 by Juliet
27 May 2006, 00:34
Good luck getting it working.

It may still be worth going into your nearest Apple Store and checking with them that its not something they can 'fix' (or replace for free)

Sorry you have to be without 'tunes for a while.....
Virgin Atlantic